HE90 Orpheus and Other Nice Things (WARNING 56Kers)...
Jan 23, 2005 at 11:40 PM Post #211 of 243
Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilPeart
Regarding the Qualia:
I have heard two different Qualias and the two sounded very different to me. I hope Chris and Alex can attend the next Bay Area meet so we can compare two Qualias (hopefully fully burned in) with the same source and amplification (Gilmore Balanced Reference, Singlepower SDS Balanced, Dynahi, etc.). I will no longer even speculate about the Qualia’s performance potential until I this occurs.

Let me know when you plan to meet and I will send you guys a Dynahi for the meet.

Jan 26, 2005 at 4:47 AM Post #212 of 243
10639PICT0155-med.JPG

10639PICT0157-med.JPG

much better now.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 26, 2005 at 5:08 AM Post #214 of 243
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
What kinda cable you use there?

four strands of 99.99% 24AWG silver wire braided in Litz, using Neutrik NC3MX-HD connectors on one end and LEMO's on the other. it would be in a sleeve, but that shipment hasn't come in yet so the wire's bare for now. (except for the teflon coating on it of course.)

braiding the wire was so fun.
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif

Jan 26, 2005 at 7:02 AM Post #216 of 243
Nice! You switched to a balanced connection and to silver wire in no doubt a different configuration than stock; how would you describe the sonic differences? Of course the cable is not burned in, but the headphones will get further burned in...lots of variables. Such is audio.

Jan 26, 2005 at 7:14 AM Post #217 of 243
Quote:

Originally Posted by KurtW
...lots of variables. Such is audio.

Word!

I am sure running in balanced mode will make a WORLD of difference and I cant wait to head back to berkeley to check out the Qualias again after a rather lacklustre initial experience.

Man that Accuphase is one of the best looking sources out there...I really like the champagne color...going to try and source some champagne aluminum/steel panels for my next amp
cool.gif

Jan 26, 2005 at 11:15 AM Post #218 of 243
That must be the most detailed system ever!

PS Audio P300->Accuphase DP-85->Gilmore Balanced Reference->Balanced Silver Cabling->Sony Qualia 010!

Now just finisssh your Balanced Dynamight (or have Guru send you a loaner amp
wink.gif
) and you can heasr every nuance and gaseous emission from your Japanese recordings (well you DO have that Star Wars soundtrack)! I'm done with the L3000 and while it's better than the W2002 I'm just not an Audio-Technica guy. Thanks for the opportunity, however? Did you bid on that Omega I? *Inappropriate comment*, but I have a crucialll meeting tomorrow @ 7am so I need mty 3 hoiurs of sleep!
orphsmile.gif
I need to compare your balanced Qualia with Chris' stock one on the same amp and source. Perhaps he and I could drop by this weekend and conduct some exte4nsive testing?

EDIT: Stuff...

Jan 26, 2005 at 11:24 AM Post #219 of 243
Where could I get that cable? I'm not sure if my Q010 are working properly at the moment... they have one single issue which I'm not happy with right now, but provided they are working I'd like to start building a balanced configuration later on this year.

Jan 26, 2005 at 12:01 PM Post #220 of 243
Quote:

Jasper,
You are only somewhat correct. My transport (Panasonic DVD-S47) does indeed support full-bandwidth digital output, and most of my media supports un-molested, full-bandwidth digital output as well. I purposely bought the media because of this very fact. Read this please:
http://benchmarkmedia.com/news/AIXinfo.htm

Actually I was not incorrect, as I said, there are those rare discs that are not encoded into MLP that will output full bandwidth on toslink or coax digital. The point though was that they are very rare. AIX releases are uncompressed for their 24/96 stereo streams, but very few other discs are. What I was getting at is that the DAC-1 doesn't really tell you what it's receiving. If you've got a DVD-A player and you've got it connected to the DAC-1 it will get full bandwidth if you are using those specific and few discs, but not otherwise.

Jan 26, 2005 at 5:17 PM Post #221 of 243
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
Where could I get that cable?

if you haven't guessed from my comment on braiding the wires... I made it myself.
smily_headphones1.gif
I think its about 4.5 meters long. I used more silver wire than I was planning on, but the extra length won't hurt.
Quote:

Perhaps he and I could drop by this weekend and conduct some exte4nsive testing?

this saturday perhaps... I have something going on this sunday. I'm sending you a PM.

Jan 26, 2005 at 6:58 PM Post #222 of 243
Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999
if you haven't guessed from my comment on braiding the wires... I made it myself.
smily_headphones1.gif
I think its about 4.5 meters long. I used more silver wire than I was planning on, but the extra length won't hurt.
this saturday perhaps... I have something going on this sunday. I'm sending you a PM.

Ah, I see. OK in that case, what bits did you have to get?

Jan 28, 2005 at 5:07 AM Post #223 of 243
sleeves!!
biggrin.gif

10639PICT0162-med.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back