HE60 adapter question
Feb 26, 2010 at 2:09 AM Post #18 of 58
Very nice Wiktor.

Do you have the HEV70 amp for the HE60? If so, do you notice any difference between the HEV70 and your Stax amp?

Feb 26, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #21 of 58
Very nice Wiktor!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 2, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #24 of 58

Quote:
I've seen the inside of enough Whiplash cables to know these guys can't solder so I'd be very hesitant to buy Stax cables from them.  This level of incompetance and high voltage do not mix... 

Interesting and surprising feedback for me.  I am nowhere near as knowledgeable on electrostatic gear as you are and I also admit not to have peeked inside of them, but I have bought more than a dozen different interconnects, IEM cables and power cables from them. So far, I  had to return one IEM cable for repair/replacement because of corrosion issue in the right channel and had one other issue concerning an XLR4 female to dual XLR3 male adapter.  Both of these issues were promptly rectified.  This is my first Whiplash electrostatic cable order, but based on my track record I think I will risk it.  Appreciate your concern, I'll let you know what my experience has been with it.  I chose to go this route because I did not want to have the stock HE60 cable reterminated to straight HV5.

I'm just itching to plug something into the HV5 socket on my A-10 and I would like to see how the HE60 sound signature changes due to the different voltages between it and the Stax port.

Oct 3, 2010 at 6:48 AM Post #26 of 58
I've opened up 4 of their cables and the quality of the soldering was as if a 6 year old did it.  Same story in the cables I've been sent pictures of.  They didn't melt the connectors as some of the other "professional cable makers" do but nor do they know how to let the solder properly flow to get a nice, solid joint.  When you are dealing with max 10V then a loose joint will not cause much damage but with 600V it can be lethal.  

On top of this I now get two PM's from this Craig character where I shouldn't post the truth about his products since he is a site sponsor.  "I'm assuming that I pay for the space that you post on means nothing since I'm incompetent or my crew is...."  I don't think I can add anything to that...

As for the different bias voltages changing the way the HE60 sounds, the difference will be tiny if noticeable at all.  The electrostatic force isn't linear in the normal sense since it drops by the square of the distance.  That is why the 0.3mm gap on the normal bias Stax models needed only 200V bias (was first 150V and then later changed to 230V) but the 0.5mm gap on the Pro models needs 580V bias.  The different ballast resistors needed for the Stax and Sennheiser models might be a larger factor in the end plus the condition of the HE60.  Most are in a pretty sorry state these days as once the o-ring at the back breaks the sound will be all over the place. 

Oct 3, 2010 at 9:06 AM Post #27 of 58

Quote:
I've opened up 4 of their cables and the quality of the soldering was as if a 6 year old did it.  Same story in the cables I've been sent pictures of.  They didn't melt the connectors as some of the other "professional cable makers" do but nor do they know how to let the solder properly flow to get a nice, solid joint.  When you are dealing with max 10V then a loose joint will not cause much damage but with 600V it can be lethal.  

On top of this I now get two PM's from this Craig character where I shouldn't post the truth about his products since he is a site sponsor.  "I'm assuming that I pay for the space that you post on means nothing since I'm incompetent or my crew is...."  I don't think I can add anything to that...

As for the different bias voltages changing the way the HE60 sounds, the difference will be tiny if noticeable at all.  The electrostatic force isn't linear in the normal sense since it drops by the square of the distance.  That is why the 0.3mm gap on the normal bias Stax models needed only 200V bias (was first 150V and then later changed to 230V) but the 0.5mm gap on the Pro models needs 580V bias.  The different ballast resistors needed for the Stax and Sennheiser models might be a larger factor in the end plus the condition of the HE60.  Most are in a pretty sorry state these days as once the o-ring at the back breaks the sound will be all over the place. 

Spitzer, I'm responsible for notifying Craig of your concern after reading it.  I know him well and also know how much he cares about his products and his customers so if there is a quality control issue he should be aware of coming from a respected member of the community such as yourself with a great deal of professional experience in this field, he should be aware of it.  Sorry about the "spam" but I think it would be beneficial to him if you could send him some of these pictures offline so he can at least look at them and find out what has happened.  I'm not affiliated by Whiplash Audio in any way, except being a customer, but I know he has had issues where people reterminated or modified his cables and then sent them back for warranty service.  So I don't know what's going on and I apologize for sidetracking this thread.  I'll shut up now about that.

The HE60 being sent to me has been fully refurbished last year, plus I get a full set of original replacement parts nearly enough to build a new pair (O rings, ear pads, transducers, headband, you name it, as well as the Stax adapter, that is why I thought I can just use this new cable to try the HV5 output.  Ray Samuels offered to modify the HE60 cable to insert a female/male HV-5 homemade connector he used on his pair made out of some kind of tube socket, I think.  I have declined his generous offer, because I didn't want the original cable modified.  But Ray told me that the HE60 sounds different out of the HV5 port than the Stax port.  Not a whole lot, but noticeable.  That's why I wanted the option to enjoy it both ways.

Oct 3, 2010 at 9:08 AM Post #28 of 58

Quote:

Last I checked, even after head-fi was sold to that company, head-fi is a public forum where users can review any item and say what every they want, good or bad, about a product so long as they themselves are not members of the trade.
If I think a headphone sounds bad, you better believe that I want to let others know my thoughts just as I would if I thought a headphone sounded good.  And as a reader on head-fi, I also expect others to be forthright and honest.  I want others to tell me when a product is bad.

Spritzer, if you think their build quality is bad, then I WANT you to tell me that it is bad.  I don't give a care about the company.  I don't care if the company doesn't sell as many products.  Us members need to help other members.  That is why this website was started, and we should never forget that.

So I say a big thank you for being honest and giving others a heads up with what might be a real issue.
~Drew

Feel free to pass this message on to who ever is giving you BS.

Oct 3, 2010 at 9:51 AM Post #29 of 58
1. AFAIK, Head-Fi was not sold to any company.
2. At the moment, no sponsor can limit what is posted in any of the public forum areas.
3. Expository photos would be of benefit to the community, and in a dedicated thread of their own on the subject.

Oct 3, 2010 at 10:01 AM Post #30 of 58

Quote:
1. AFAIK, Head-Fi was not sold to any company.

Oh, I thought Jude sold it to a company.  So Jude still owns Head-Fi?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back