HE1000V2 vs Arya vs HD800
Mar 22, 2023 at 8:39 AM Post #17 of 27
I have owned the hd800 in th past. Loved its soundstage but ithad little bass. I did try it with a solid state amp though and i guess trying it with tubes is better. Now want to try my first planar magnetics. I did read some reviews which mad eme think that the arya stealth might be a nice fit since that works well with solid state amps. The he1000 is apparently very close in sound but a lot more expensive. Can anyone ocmpare/comment on the arya stealth vs he1000stealth? How are they in direct comparison and is it worth the higher price for the he1000?
Thanks in advance for any info,
Greetings, Anouk,

Mar 22, 2023 at 9:36 AM Post #19 of 27
Well Arya Se has more bass but even so not sure if quantity is enough to "wow" after HD800.
The 800/800S even on some pretty nice high powered SS amps, starts losing steam at 80 Hz, and under 45 Hz is just limp, too much EQ just gives you more limp and some IM/HD issues higher up. On even modest OTL tubes, they seem more solid to 55-60 Hz, and with careful EQ can still squeak out 35 Hz, although down a few db. But the real draw is the added (and proper to these ears) harmonic structure, body, and trailing notes that seem washed on the Ragnarok 1 and Bryston BHA-1, and to a lesser extent the Violectric V-281.

The Arya does take EQ very well, and will give you 20 Hz flat if you want it. The impact is lacking compared to planars such as: OG HE-6 6 screw, Phi, OG LCD-4 - by a lot, and even the E2 and HE-6 SE by a fair measure too, but, the the rest is there. Then of course there are the closed back dynamics with the famous "slam" (I.E. raised unnatural bass, usually with too much sustain (I.E. higher than ideal Q) if your tastes run to that - which the 800 with its speed, timbre but no grunt, certainly cannot satisfy.

May 19, 2023 at 2:54 PM Post #21 of 27
Saw that Hifiman was selling B-Stock version of the HE1000SE for 54% of list price and finally decided to spring for it - after reading all of the reviews I could find, this seemed like exactly what I would want. Received it yesterday and although they say it comes without original box etc., that was not true - it came with everything (including 3 cables, one of which is a balanced cable) and the only thing lost in exchange for a huge discount is there are a few scratches on the grille on one side. I've only used it for about an hour thus far but all I can say is that it is amazing. If anyone is thinking about this I would go for this deal while you still can. I think I'm done ever looking for another pair of headphones.

May 19, 2023 at 3:02 PM Post #23 of 27
Saw that Hifiman was selling B-Stock version of the HE1000SE for 54% of list price and finally decided to spring for it - after reading all of the reviews I could find, this seemed like exactly what I would want. Received it yesterday and although they say it comes without original box etc., that was not true - it came with everything (including 3 cables, one of which is a balanced cable) and the only thing lost in exchange for a huge discount is there are a few scratches on the grille on one side. I've only used it for about an hour thus far but all I can say is that it is amazing. If anyone is thinking about this I would go for this deal while you still can. I think I'm done ever looking for another pair of headphones.
Crazy deal for sure! Hifiman is crazy in general right now...B-stock HEKV2's are going for $100 more than Arya's (Organic and Stealth Magnet), which are already $300 cheaper than their release price at $1299. Glad you settled on a pair :) I'm even tempted!

May 19, 2023 at 3:07 PM Post #24 of 27
Great deal, although HE1000SE are very different from V2 that was topic of this discussion.
True, but there were multiple other recommendations along the way and I compared reviews on all of them. Couldn't find any that had anything bad to say about this one, it was just out of my price range at the original price. And it has very impressive and fast (but not exaggerated) bass response without sacrificing anywhere else (at least so far as I can tell).

May 19, 2023 at 4:24 PM Post #25 of 27
@ajm04 thanks for posting this! I bought the same deal, and I should be getting the B-stock HE1000se next week in the mail. It sure would be nice to get the original box, in addition to all of the cables/accessories. I’m hopeful this headphone will also blow me away. I currently have the HE1000 V2, and while I really do love it, I feel like there is just a tiny bit of softness, imprecision, lack of microdetail, and lack of dynamics to the sound. I’m hopeful the HE1000se will provide that last 10% of performance that I’m looking for.

May 21, 2023 at 11:29 AM Post #26 of 27
@ajm04 thanks for posting this! I bought the same deal, and I should be getting the B-stock HE1000se next week in the mail. It sure would be nice to get the original box, in addition to all of the cables/accessories. I’m hopeful this headphone will also blow me away. I currently have the HE1000 V2, and while I really do love it, I feel like there is just a tiny bit of softness, imprecision, lack of microdetail, and lack of dynamics to the sound. I’m hopeful the HE1000se will provide that last 10% of performance that I’m looking for.
I haven't heard the HE1000 V2 although I was looking at it. Others commented that it was a difference in degree but not a quantum leap above the HD800. Reviews suggested that was the case with the HE1000 SE and I agree. I couldn't spring for this one at full price but when that deal came up I had to take it after reading multiple reviews saying it was worth it at list price (and is much easier to drive than a lot of the other expensive HIFIMAN models). I can't compare with other headphones at that level but I can tell you that it blows away my Sennheiser HD800. There are a couple of tracks I really love where I wait for a particular drum roll to come in at a couple of points in the track and on a good pair of speakers the impact just hits me. I got chills listening with these headphones in a way I have not experienced before. You're in for a treat and with the original box and all packing materials and all three cables it's a great deal as long as you don't mind a few cosmetic surface scratches. I've only used the balanced cable thus far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back