HE1000 Woes And Questions
Sep 29, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #17 of 29
Let us know how this pair turns out.

Turns out badly. This pair has the noises  in the right ear as well. Also has the loose connection issue.

NO IT IS NOT MY SOURCE GEAR. None of my other headphones have these problems. I have tried the HE1000s with 6 different cables, 3 different sources and come up with the same results every time. If I could return them to the shop I would, but I am over the 14 day return period as I was waiting for replacements. At least they sound awesome when the music is loud enough the cover the noises, and you get the cable in the right position so the right ear doesn't cut out. All in all, HE1000? Not on my recommendations list. 

Sep 29, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #18 of 29
  Turns out badly. This pair has the noises  in the right ear as well. Also has the loose connection issue.

NO IT IS NOT MY SOURCE GEAR. None of my other headphones have these problems. I have tried the HE1000s with 6 different cables, 3 different sources and come up with the same results every time. If I could return them to the shop I would, but I am over the 14 day return period as I was waiting for replacements. At least they sound awesome when the music is loud enough the cover the noises, and you get the cable in the right position so the right ear doesn't cut out. All in all, HE1000? Not on my recommendations list. 

Sorry to hear that. I'm surprised multiple pairs have the same issue for you. Are you getting the replacements directly from Hifiman or the store? Maybe it's bad batch that is being sent to the store? I hope you are dealing with HifiMan directly on this. For a $3k headphone I'd be pissed off too. Time to send them in again for a replacement? 

Sep 29, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #19 of 29

Sorry to hear that. I'm surprised multiple pairs have the same issue for you. Are you getting the replacements directly from Hifiman or the store? Maybe it's bad batch that is being sent to the store? I hope you are dealing with HifiMan directly on this. For a $3k headphone I'd be pissed off too. Time to send them in again for a replacement? 

Directly from hifiman this time. I think it might be a bad batch or something as well. I don't want to send them in again or ask for a replacement. To be honest I'd just like to return them and get my money back, but I don't think that is possible as I am over the stores return period. I have emailed them to ask. We shall see. It is a shame as they are fantastic sounding headphones. 

Sep 29, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #20 of 29
you should take it back to the store and have a listen thru their system. if it crackles then you can share this issue with
the store owner and perhaps get some assistance from them in dealing with head-direct . if i were the store owner i wouldn't want
this issue to pop up frequently in the future, as it seems not to be an isolated case of a single bad transducer. good luck

Oct 2, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #21 of 29
Just a thought...have you tried wearing the headphones reversed?  Just to see if the noise stays with the right ear cup or stays on the right side of your head?  That would rule out the headphones and would point to an outside stimulus like static as the culprit.

Oct 2, 2015 at 6:24 PM Post #22 of 29
I have tried putting on the headphones backwards, it is the right hand side that has the noises. The Left is silent. The noises continue when they are unplugged for about 5/10 minutes. Very interesting. Im curious as to what these noises actually are!

I went to the store I purchased them from yesterday, and of course the noises would not show up. So the store thinks im crazy, hifiman thinks im crazy, and I'm left with a pair of headphones with something wrong with them, that I can't prove. The shop won't take a return on them. I will learn to live with it I suppose. I wish I had not bought them, lesson learned. 

Oct 2, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #24 of 29
this may sound dumb, but try listening to your system in another part of the house connected to a different wall outlet.
there may be another variable in your chain that your not thinking of, the wall outlet and/or electronic/magnetic interference
from a dimmer light switch or a faulty/incompatible headphone jack on your amp.

wait... you said that the sound is present even after the hp is disconnected from the amp...
it's gotta be an electrical or mechanical issue with the headphone itself...

does the noise appear as soon as the hp is plugged and played or does it appear later as the amp is warmed up?
do you have another amp to experiment with? maybe a friends unit?

tubes make sound the way you describe but i don't suppose you use tubes in your setup?

Oct 2, 2015 at 7:51 PM Post #25 of 29
  Can you try recording the noise? maybe with your phone next to the cups. That's a very strange problem and to have it happen twice in a row.

Hmmmm, it would be damn hard to record as it is so quiet most of the time. 
  this may sound dumb, but try listening to your system in another part of the house connected to a different wall outlet.
there may be another variable in your chain that your not thinking of, the wall outlet and/or electronic/magnetic interference
from a dimmer light switch or a faulty/incompatible headphone jack on your amp.

Already tried sadly. The noises are present when the headphones are unplugged both at the amp, and the ear input for about 5/10 minutes after listening, so it is not my chain that is the problem. Also, regarding the loose connection, I was actually able to get it to do it in the shop I bought them from, but was told I shouldn't be wiggling the wires like that. I was just doing that to show them the problem, not something I usually do. 

All in all, I'm pretty done with the whole situation. Ill just live with the noises and loose connection.  I can't get a refund, I've had two replacement sets, both have had something wrong with them. I suppose I will just rack it up to being ****ty craftsmanship, poor quality control, and never purchase from hifiman again. 

Oct 2, 2015 at 8:04 PM Post #26 of 29
i wouldn't give up so early considering the fact that the unit didn't make any noises when played at the store. sometimes the strangest and
least likely things are the source of these conundrums. for example, i use to have the electrostat hp by koss and it was making strange
popping/farting sounds the longer i played it thru the accompanying amp. i found out later that it was the humidity in my room that
was the cause of the noise. as soon as i played it with the ac/dehumidifier on no more noises...

Oct 2, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #27 of 29
Even if you used an iPhone held up to the headphone you should be able to record and digitally amplify the noise. Would help in figuring out what it is. I've never heard any of this in any Hifiman's or any of the HE1000 I've heard so something really strange is going on.

Oct 2, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #28 of 29
  wait... you said that the sound is present even after the hp is disconnected from the amp...
it's gotta be an electrical or mechanical issue with the headphone itself...

does the noise appear as soon as the hp is plugged and played or does it appear later as the amp is warmed up?
do you have another amp to experiment with? maybe a friends unit?

tubes make sound the way you describe but i don't suppose you use tubes in your setup?

It appears usually after about 5/10 minutes. I've experienced it using 3 different amps, all solid state no tubes, in different locations. 

I was all pissed off yesterday, but I realized thats a waste of energy and resources. Just trying to accept it for what it is and move on. Life happens :)

Oct 2, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #29 of 29
  Even if you used an iPhone held up to the headphone you should be able to record and digitally amplify the noise. Would help in figuring out what it is. I've never heard any of this in any Hifiman's or any of the HE1000 I've heard so something really strange is going on.

It is definitely very strange. I have never heard it before in any headphone I have owned/tried. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back