HE1000 Woes And Questions
Sep 19, 2015 at 6:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

ufospls2

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi All. I hope this is in the correct section, I read all the rules etc.. and it is about a "High-End" product, but please move the thread if I have gotten this wrong, and apologies in advance :)

I purchased my first pair of HE1000's two weeks ago today. Two of the cables had loose connections, the left earcup swivel joint became very loose, and the left connector part of the earcup became loose as well. I received a replacement pair a few days ago. On the replacement pair, the right earcup swivel joint was very loose out of the box (laterally, I am aware they are supposed to move 360 degrees.) I have only tried the 1/4" cable so far and it has a loose connection (tried through three different sources,) and the right hand side connector has come loose and is moveable. 

I have decided to just put up with these faults because the quality of sound with the HE1000 is so enjoyable! However, last night, I began to run into a new problem I have never experienced on any headphone in my life, and I thought one of you guys might have. 

This didn't happen in my first pair of HE1000's but I was wondering if this is maybe related to burn in and I have just never experienced it before in my previous headphones. In the right ear (it is very hard to describe) after about 5/10 minutes of play time it develops these random "car engine cooling down" noises, like soft tick tocks of a clock and clicks. You can't hear them over normal volume music. Quiet parts you sometimes can and no music you can. It stops about 5/10 minutes after stopping the music. It has happened last night, and this morning, and right now. It has happened after playing music through my geek out V2, macbookpro built in output, and taurus mk2. 

It isn't the source and is definitely something hardware related as even if the headphone is unplugged at the source AND the earcup it continues to happen until it dies down and stops. It is like playing sound is warming something up, noises happen, stop the music and it cools down and stops. Thats the best way I can describe it. I don't know if drivers of headphones warm up and cool down, but that is the only way I can describe what is happening.

I thought this is insane it has to be my ears and brain imagining it, so I let my two other people check at two separate times and they were both able to hear it as well. The little sounds are quiet, but sometimes loud enough to be heard during quiet passages of music, like during classical and jazz if you listen carefully. Again, it is the strangest thing to describe ever but I have never heard it before even on my first pair of HE1000's.

I know that hair and the headphone earpad rubbing on the side of the face can create sounds, but if you take the headphone off you can hear the noises from the outside grill (though only the loud ones and not as clearly of course), and the left hand side doesn't make any noises at all when wearing the headphones, it is perfectly quiet. It is a different sound than static. 

Have any of you ever heard this before!? 

Being on my second pair of HE1000's, I don't know what to do. I can accept that the build quality and cables are not great, but this new noise in the right ear cup has me worried. Am I doing something wrong? Do I just have the worst luck ever when it comes to HE1000's? 

Have any of you out there with HE1000's had anything similar to this happen, be it cables, loose joints, or strange sounds? Again, they sound fantastic, when they are working correctly!

Sep 20, 2015 at 12:47 AM Post #2 of 29
That's very weird. I haven't had any issues like that with my HE1000. Good luck with trying to find a solution to this problem.

Sep 20, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #4 of 29
If you could make a cable with the channels reversed, you could find out if the problem was in the headphones or the amp.

Or, if you can swap the cables going to the drivers, that should do the same thing.

Sep 21, 2015 at 8:19 AM Post #6 of 29
Some would say that if the cable ain't microphonic, it ain't musical.   
blink.gif

Sep 21, 2015 at 11:34 PM Post #7 of 29
On the loose connection issue, having now tried all three cables from all three of my sources, it is apparent it is not the cable, but a loose connection at the connection in the HEADPHONE. So even if I replace one of my cables with an aftermarket cable (another expense) I will still have a loose connection. How two pairs in a row had this loose connection problem I don't know. 

On the "car cooling down" noise in the right ear? It is still doing it. 

I contacted the shop I purchased the headphones from and they said all they can do is forward my emails detailing the problems to Hifiman and see what they say. Being on my second faulty pair of $4000 (Canadian) headphones, I am ******* pissed off and dissapointed. 

Either Hifimans quality control sucks, or I am extremely unlucky and have ended up with two rare faulty sets. 

I don't want endless pairs of new HE1000's, I'm not trying to scam Hifiman, I just want one pair that isn't faulty and built well. The sound of the headphones is absolutely awesome, but so far the hassle and dissapointment has outweighed any sonic benefits to owning the HE1000's. What Hifiman will do to resolve my issue this time remains to be seen, I haven't had a response yet. If I am stuck with a loose connection, "car cooling down" noise, $4000 paperweight, I am going to be so very dissapointed. 

Sep 23, 2015 at 9:02 PM Post #8 of 29
I had similar problems with my old HE-560s. I could induce various types of static pops. I discovered that wearing particular shoes and sitting in my desk chair would cause the pops to be consistent.  Try changing where you listen, and believe it or not, what you are wearing.

I think planar HPs are susceptible to static.  My experience is:  Hifiman has more problems than others.

Good luck.

Sep 27, 2015 at 3:21 AM Post #9 of 29
mmm.....strange problem(s) and what are the odds that someone will receive "faulty" product twice in a row? <scratching my noggin').  I tested my HE 1000 while I was still at the dealer's place and checked that everything is as it should be. No quality probems with my unit.

Sep 27, 2015 at 3:29 AM Post #11 of 29
  mmm.....strange problem(s) and what are the odds that someone will receive "faulty" product twice in a row? <scratching my noggin').  I tested my HE 1000 while I was still at the dealer's place and checked that everything is as it should be. No quality probems with my unit.

Very small but it happened. 

It could be somewhere in the rest of your chain.

Nope. I tried three different cables from three different amps, and three different dacs. The loose connection problem was apparent on both pairs. The "car cooling down" noise was continuous when the headphones were completely unplugged, after about 5/10 mins it would die down and stop. 

I am happy to say HIFIMAN has sent me a replacement pair. Fingers crossed it is good to go this time.

Sep 27, 2015 at 6:04 AM Post #12 of 29
I noticed this on the set I returned, I assumed it was the metal frame clicking (not via the drivers) and random times. It was very annoying.

Sep 27, 2015 at 11:01 AM Post #14 of 29
But, quality control surely needs to be better than what is being produced from some popular manufacturers.

Sep 27, 2015 at 7:46 PM Post #15 of 29
Let us know how this pair turns out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back