HE-6 Loaner Program
Sep 25, 2010 at 2:27 PM Post #661 of 903
Yes that sounds great, thank you!!

EDIT: I see you need a speaker amp to power these, that means I can use my Fischer X-100-B amp for them!!

Quote:
I am on the list and if it is OK with Fang, I can pass them along to you ..dB

Sep 25, 2010 at 3:10 PM Post #662 of 903

Quote:
Here's an ignorant question: why can't all headphones be hooked up to speaker amps? All of this makes me want to hook my k340 up to my denon amp.

You can as long as you have 2 wires going to each driver(balanced wiring). I listen to my K701 and DX1000 from my Firstwatt F1. I have to put an 8 ohm resistor across each output with the DX1000 though because they are soo sensitive and I have to turn the volume down a bit to use the K701 but it can be run straight off the output.

Edit: Its 4 ohm resistors I use with the dx1000.

Sep 25, 2010 at 5:06 PM Post #663 of 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by immtbiker  
" We've all been there, and we are all still there. Learning doesn't end at school. I learn new and valuable info everyday.
It's when you run into a co-worker that has the knowledge and is insecure about sharing it with you, because they feel that it provides and edge over you by not sharing, those are the one"s that you want to stay away from. When I worked for Xerox (21 years), I shared everything that I know and found out through intense suffering), I made sure to pass it along to the 11 techs in my work group so they would not have to go through the pain and suffering that I went through, because we we a workgroup, a team, all with the same goal. Getting the customer's machines running again with as little downtime. But we has mensches (sp?) that would not share their findings because they felt it would help them rise up through ranks at a faster pace. A team works together for one common goal. Hate to be trite, but  there's no "I" in team (I can't believe that I just said that   )
Eventually those people showed their true colors and were placed at the bottom of the pickle barrel, only to find themselves clawing their way back up to the top, passing the dills along the way. Not very well liked or trusted. If you are a confident person, then you have to trust that being a good person is the best way to get along with you peers."

We will all now sit around in a big circle singing Kumba ya!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 25, 2010 at 8:10 PM Post #666 of 903

Quote:
You can as long as you have 2 wires going to each driver(balanced wiring). I listen to my K701 and DX1000 from my Firstwatt F1. I have to put an 8 ohm resistor across each output with the DX1000 though because they are soo sensitive and I have to turn the volume down a bit to use the K701 but it can be run straight off the output.

Edit: Its 4 ohm resistors I use with the dx1000.

How does this sound compared to a headphone amp?

Sep 25, 2010 at 8:29 PM Post #667 of 903

Quote:
I hate that I'm now considering buying an Outlaw 2150RR just to power my K1000 and eventually the HE-6. Thanks again, head-fi. 
redface.gif

The Outlaw was a receiver to power his Maggies. There's a plethera of good receivers to do the job.

Sep 26, 2010 at 5:34 AM Post #668 of 903

Quote:
How does this sound compared to a headphone amp?

The only headphone amp I use is the lavry headphone out anymore. I haven't really sat down and compared the da11 hp out to the firstwatt outputs. Its more just for peace of mind on my end anyone lol, to make certain I know whatever I am listening to isn't being held back so I don't have to try and sift through pages of opinions on here.

Sep 26, 2010 at 7:28 AM Post #669 of 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuppetFace  
" I hate that I'm now considering buying an Outlaw 2150RR just to power my K1000 and eventually the HE- 6. Thanks again, head-fi. "

I had a NAD 316BEE powering the HE-6 and I thought it synergized well with it.

Sep 27, 2010 at 11:21 PM Post #670 of 903
I spent time comparing the HE-6 to the HE-5LE using four different amplifiers.

For the HE-6, I used 1) a MacIntosh solid state amp, 2) a VTL tube amp and 3) a SimMoon Audio 3.3 SE solid state integrated amp.  Each amp was 100 watts per channel.
The HE-5 LE was powered by an EF-5 amplifier.
The type of music was rock with a wide range of vocals and instrumentation.

For some reason the combination, VTL tube amp and VAC tube preamp did not bring much life to the HE-6.
The MacIntosh solid state preamp and amp sounded better with the HE-6- but still did not sound as musical as the HE-5LE /EF-5 combination. 
The HE-6 and SimMoon Audio I3 SE integrated amp however had excellent synergy: full range, excellent soundstage and realistic musical detail with really powerful bass and sparkling trebel- the type of presentation that made me forget that I was evalutating equipment and just started enjoying the music. It was a far better combinaton than the HE-6 and NAD C316BEE that I had heard this Summer at the NJ meet

I found the following diferences between the HE-6 (SimMoonAudio) and HE-5 LE (EF-5):
While both Headphones had very similiar sound signatures, the HE-6 exhibited slightly more resolution and expanded sound stage. The HE-6 was more neutrally balanced
The HE-5 had slightly more emphasis in the mid and lower mid range with less detail and more centered soundstage but in a very musically pleasing way.

I can see how different people might prefer either Headphone. If you use the analogy that you can zoom into and sharpen a photograph to the point with the individual pixels overwhelm the illusion of the overall photo image, the HE-5LE does not resolve as well as the HE--6, but still achieves an excellent balance that creates a very realistic musical image.
For those listeners who want more emphasis on the mid and lower mid range, they will prefer the HE-5LE. For those who prefer, more neutrality, detailed resolution and wider soundstage, they would prefer the HE-6.
Both headphone combinations were excellent to my ears..

Sep 28, 2010 at 3:51 PM Post #671 of 903
So I've had a fairly serious health issue come up and haven't been able to make photographs of the HE6 yet.  I'm now stuck in Palo Alto for some tests and won't make it back home till later today or tomorrow.  So I can either hold onto the HE6 for a couple more days to make the pictures, or ship them out today from Palo Alto and maybe the HE6 can come back to me after the other West Coast people have had them.  The pictures should be really nice- I'm picturing all black, with highlights of the phones kind of emerging from the darkness.  They'll surely help Fang, but since the program was supposed to be a week each person, I thought I'd ask.  It's too bad about this timing, I think these phones will photograph really well! 

I'm fine with them coming back to me after the other people on the West Coast if that works for you all. 

Sep 28, 2010 at 4:05 PM Post #672 of 903
I'm next and don't mind waiting a few extra days, just let me know. Nothing contagious, I hope 
smile.gif

Sep 29, 2010 at 12:19 PM Post #674 of 903
HE6 + a couple of bugs coming your way
biggrin.gif
:p
Quite a few peeps here in the bay area getting sick recently, flu, cold what not...

Quote:
I'm next and don't mind waiting a few extra days, just let me know. Nothing contagious, I hope 
smile.gif

Sep 29, 2010 at 2:08 PM Post #675 of 903
Makes me want to have the cans cryo-treated for a week before I put them on, that should help the SQ and take care of any bugs that are in need molecular alignment...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back