HE-6 Loaner Program [EU-Version]
Aug 7, 2010 at 10:36 AM Post #16 of 168
[size=11pt]I think, the best idea is to „sort“ people by country. When you send parcel inside one country then you can obtain them from one day to next day, but when I send it from Slovakia to Italy, it may take one week. I think, it is always a good idea to optimize the transports, to reduce the „blind“ days during transporting.[/size]

Aug 7, 2010 at 10:54 AM Post #17 of 168

Quote:
[size=11pt]I think, the best idea is to „sort“ people by country. When you send parcel inside one country then you can obtain them from one day to next day, but when I send it from Slovakia to Italy, it may take one week. I think, it is always a good idea to optimize the transports, to reduce the „blind“ days during transporting.[/size]

I assume that is exactly what Jan meant when he wrote the following in his OP.
wink_face.gif

Quote:
SievekingSound said:

I shall try to build the list of participants in a way that means the minimum of cross-border shipping to keep cost for each individual user down.

Aug 8, 2010 at 4:28 AM Post #18 of 168

Quote:

I assume that is exactly what Jan meant when he wrote the following in his OP.
wink_face.gif

You are right.
there bare partecipants from various countries.
i´m italian but i live in portugal, you from norge, etc.
aldo

Aug 9, 2010 at 7:01 AM Post #19 of 168
Dear Head-Fiers,
we have got 10 participants so far and I have closed the list for the simple reason that if we count in shipping time between countries this program might last until the end of October already.

The HE-6 has received a double cardboard box around its protective packaging and I have included a small printout with pictures of all the adaptor cables included so all the participants will know what to include when shipping on. Please make sure to repackage well and send as an insured package only. The box is below 4 KG and thus shipping should not be very expensive.

The first user is gicca70 in Italy and the unit shall remain in Italy for the first 5 participants. I shall post a complete list of participants as soon as I have got all the contact data of everyone.

Happy Listening,

Jan

Aug 9, 2010 at 8:07 AM Post #20 of 168
Hi jan, how much is the value to assicurate the he-6?
thank you
aldo

Aug 10, 2010 at 1:39 AM Post #21 of 168
[size=11pt]SievekingSound – great work. Thank you. In Czech republic or Slovakia, I have in plan to test them with Casea Lyra amp and especially with ZAMA-HPA 1 amp. ZAMA is well known excellent single ended solid amp with pure analogue binaural processing support. With several headphones it has very good addition. In compare with SPL Phonitor ZAMA HPA-1 incomparably excells in sound quality, in space or soudstage presentation. The sound has much more air. So I am interested how it works with this amp. So could be possible to give me info for me one week before I obtain HE-6? Thanks.[/size]

Aug 16, 2010 at 2:32 PM Post #22 of 168
Great work Jan!
bigsmile_face.gif

Can not wait to read impressions by fellow Head-Fiers, as it makes its journey around Europe.

Aug 17, 2010 at 4:31 AM Post #23 of 168
Kai, you should give them a go, even if you don't have any intention of purchasing. You have good experience with other high end gear and your impressions would be valuable.

Aug 17, 2010 at 10:52 AM Post #24 of 168
Kai, you should give them a go, even if you don't have any intention of purchasing. You have good experience with other high end gear and your impressions would be valuable.

Thanks! I know that I probably should, and a part of me even want to.
But knowing myself I might have a problem staying clear of buying it if I ended up liking what I heard/saw.

Having spent more than $300k this summer (new apartment) I better stay clear and allow my wallet to slowly recover.
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 18, 2010 at 5:37 PM Post #25 of 168
Hello all,
I just listen H6 this week, and I would to summarize the results of listening, now.
The new Hifiman H6 is a good headphone, with real headstage, less than HD800, and like to sound good with speaker-out of traditional amp.

There is 3 focal key points about listen the H6:

1) MKVI rediscovered another amp, with sufficient power to drive H6, and re-valve it with Tung-sol, or Sylvania, can do better linearity. (I do not try this)
2) integrated headphone outputs of traditional amp, is insufficient for H6.  No worry, but H6 would more power than jack.
3) Wonder to drive speakers directly from 2 amp (hybrid and SS). The sound is impressive, rich, beautiful, like a mixture from HD800 balanced and DT880 Pro balanced.

Well, I have to reconsider a set of parameters for MKVI about his input gain and swing.
I had forgotten the existence of the gain adjustable (5x and 10x dedicated to K1000) on this amp.
Advance that all the headsets I have, and now with 10x gain ruminating over 50% of dynamic than before (gain 5x). The reason is to be found in the type of change made valves, which I try to explain it simply.
It should be a brief tour around the valve gear, said. The original Russian 6H9C on pre were replaced with a matched pair of Brimar nos CV1988, equivalent to 6SN7GT, with MU at about 20. If I had opted for the 6SL7 (with MU 70) I noticed that increase of dynamic appreciated by those with the MKVI tube rolled 6SL7 on pre. Actually, I thought I had solved by using a pre-ampli, with improved dynamics, but not to the levels that I heard tonight with gain of MKVI set to 10x.
The income surplus 5x gain more, which arose with the pre-balancer, positive effects.

Well, I then set the internal dip-switches on the position 10x gain of MKVI, and I connected the H6.
Sounds better than before (5x) and after 30 hours burn-in, I notice a fog on acute deliver more dynamic but is veiled, like the HD650 for those who know.

But let us proceed to order:
CD source dAD3 Cyrus DAC with additional high-performance, redundant external power PSX-R.
alternative source CD: Sony professional balanced (nothing esoteric)
Software CD: Classical, symphonic, piano, Italian, light rock, electronic.

The amp which I saw all my comments, in the round, the MKVI, has been linked to two sources.
results: H6 returns as what is upstream, better with Cyrus.
The sound of H6 (will all burn-in and exchange rate gain) is veiled, very present in ultra-low range, the valves give the heat anyway, and everything is whispered to minimum volumes, and becomes furious at listening volumes high. The MKVI now works at 10 o'clock with minimum volumes, 11 o'clock with volumes supported by the hour, at 12 o'clock we are at high levels. The dynamic is great, a sign that H6 is like the K1000, thirsting for power steering, and well like high volumes.

Overall, however, something I am not convinced, and denotes that the MKVI is nevertheless limited than for the impedance to the low efficiency of H6 (89 dB). In fact working near its limits, in the highest working class A. Witness the fact that the clock bias reeling at 12. The greatest gain has had its desired effect, has increased the momentum, but in general practice has also approached the point of "breaking": the response of protections for excessive power output.

Thus, with the MKVI, the HiFiman H6 does not marry very well. My vote is 6. But a re-valve with 6SL7 or another tube like Sylvania or Tung-sol, more light in high frequencies, can do the difference.

Surprise comes from the comparison across the board of SW CD (from classical to symphonic, rock, electronic), including all balanced headphones I have, heavy bass AKG K340 balanced, Sennheiser HD800 balanced, Beyerdinamic DT880pro balanced, and also by Ultrasone Pro 900 SE, which shows the Queen Monitor the evening.

A net increase of sharpness, contrast micro-dynamics, wider dynamic music, the HD800 is shown another headset, very comprehensive and with a headstage unbeatable widespread.

now: listen test with Cyrus CD SE, pre-amp balancer (8 Volt rms for phase), MKVI tube rolled 2 Brimar CV1988, 4 Raytheon 6080 balanced.

The piano
(Beethoven, the Moonlight - Pathetique - Waldstein, Dubravka Tomsic - DDD)
(Alla Turca)
(For Elisa)
(Waltz)

convince me with H6, the presence of many harmonics, and for those ultra-low prevailing on the scene. The result is colorful, perhaps a bit too much, but pleasant listening.

With the 800 it clearly indicates the presence of space between the notes, and individual harmonic, beautiful and very airy.

With the 900pro, the piano gives me the impression of listening as it is vivid, sharp and precise.

With the 880Pro, the notes of the piano seem to extend beyond the head, a beautiful scene, better sound of previus less gain on MKVI (5x gain before)

Classic:
Tchaikovsky - Overture 1812
Mozart - Violin Concerto No 4
Donizetti - Don Pasquale
Beethoven - Symphony No.5
Delibes - Coppelia
Johann Strauss Jr. - Roses from the South

The full orchestral are made with color from the H6, the ultra-low frequencies precedence, accentuating the sense of fog on acute. In short, this amp MKVI and H6 just do not want with Brimar valve. Brimar have rich bass, sweet med, fog on acute. H6 is a trasparent headphone. It can sound like a neutral effect, the amp can imprinting sound quality. This is my impression.

Other headphones are inspired by the descriptions, relegating at HD800 the advantage of better ambience instrumental performance.

The Opera:
Verdi - La forza del destino - opera in 4 acts - Domingo, Freni, Zancanaro, Plishka, Bruscantini, Zajíc - Orchesta and chorus of the "Teatro della Scala" - Riccardo Muti art director.

The voice of Don Alvaro (Domingo) has made a very natural, and heat together. That of Carlos (Zancanaro) is powerful, full-bodied, pleasant female ones, never annoying. 
The H6 is a headset with low efficiency, means that there is absolute silence in the moments of "quiet" apparent. This is also the effect of fog on acute. With H6 i do not listen rumors, humm, but more silence also in musical moment.

Other headphones snubbing the H6, particularly the HD 800, which I like very much for the performance stage, you can also hear the rustling of clothes ... (The apparent calm in the first decade). Demerit is for MKVI, that just tries to please the H6, but fails to drive with natural sound (with this valve it is much colorfull and unbalanced to bass frequencies).

Electronics:
Jean Michel Jarre - Oxygene, Equinoxe, Magnetic Field, Band in the rain, globe trotter, Calypso.

The H6 astounding color rendering, which it does indicate a remarkable capacity ranges in consistency, which in reality clear with direct speaker-out drive mode.

The other headphones have their typical characteristics, the 900pro much monitor, more headstage for the HD800 with Jarre, the 880Pro is a revelation, the K340 is married to yield the "magic" of a electrostatic drive. I had both versions, the heavy bass is much more convincing than the light bass.

Gianna Nannini (italian rock): orchestra with violins, bows, cross between light rock and modern symphonic.

Other headphones convince many more of H6. The demerit is the MKVI and this setup valve.

I tried to listen H6 with MKVI output SE, the H6 loss dinamic, better with balance mode drive.

And now, the revelation, the H6 amazed me how he can "eat" real 80 watts rms per channel of a hybrid Aeron A160 tube rolled Mullard CV2493 in the pre and final pairs in push-pull Power MOSFET.

It is the complete headphone, which I had expected. Great coherence and harmonic ranges, some cohesion without smudging, all of 800 airy, the 900pro heavy bass presense, 880Pro crisp, the K340 electrostatic.
What headphones, and rich sound, all wins, for a micro-dynamic and large dynamic impact, for clarity.
Winning in every aspect. H6 is wonderful.

The overall sound (Hybrid Aeron A160) is typical of a good hybrid, hot and fast transient. Sounds just like my hybrid ambience .... I will not conceal that I stopped open-mouthed in front of the pumping station watt H6...

The dances end with the Luxman LR8500 Solid State, another power of 140 Watts RMS 2-channel, pure stereo. The glass ... ambience in ... tremble and double.
H6 is an ally of the shows first glance with the SS. Reveals a disarming speed transient, a wonderful micro-detail, while maintaining a sound veiled hot. In this case, H6 sound with natural velocity, tipical of my Luxman. H6 is a transparent headphone, the amp is the director, H6 is like to good servo-drive.
Another example of the inefficiency of traditional transducers H6 requires amp, exaggerated by the powers, to play divinely.

Technically, they will reach a few mW, but the dynamic input that sounds wonderful, with adapters for the speaker outputs.

That said, 'decree for my little experience, and my humble opinion, the H6 a great headphone, nice to hear, you forget the rest of source, pre, ampli, wire, esoteric concept.
Only I think the drive amp can do a powerfull traditional amp, for good listen.

Now, the H6 is go out to Axellone forumer.

Best regards,
Carlo.

Aug 18, 2010 at 6:21 PM Post #26 of 168
I think the H6 would class A amp, also Hybrid, Solid State, Valve amp with a minimun of watt. 20 or 30 is good.
I think also that: low output impedance, with high power swing (speaker out connection) can drive divinely the H6.

I think H6 would great amp current and swing tension.

My Aeron A160, is capable of 100 Volt swing to speaker out and much current (like 20 Ampere pp into 8 Ohm). The power is 80 Watt/channel. Class A in every stage. On pre double triode Mullard CV2493 (sweet sound, good med-acute, rich bass), on final stage push-pull of a double pair of Power Mosfet for channel. 1 toroidal transformer, +50V,0,-50V.

At 70 Ohm the power is reduced to few mW, but the high swing tension, and the large reserve of current, can drive H6 very very good.

H6 is like to mini-speaker.

The impedance of H6 (70 Ohm) and low efficiency (89 dB) can make the H6 "mute" headphone.
It is likely the H6 can suck much power, than those of headphone amplifier can provide. 

Aug 22, 2010 at 4:08 AM Post #27 of 168
Hi Jan,
You have mp and email
Regards, Enrico

Aug 23, 2010 at 2:01 PM Post #28 of 168
Hi Everybody,
we will need to put the program on hold for a little while.

User axellone has tried to drive the HE-6 with his Mark Levinson 331 power amplifier as I have asked him to do and the voltage swing must have been too much for the headphone.

We have got a solution for this issue already and plan to incorporate a set of parallel resistors with the speaker adaptor cable of the production version of the HE-6. That said I should state that we are currently still talking about a Pre-Production sample and development of the unit is still ongoing.

A new unit including the resistors should arrive in Germany within the next few days for customs clearance and shall then head on to Italy so that axellone can continue his trial.

Even though I am sorry this happened it is the purpose of this program to find the weaknesses in the design before it goes into final production and thus it is a good thing this has happened now while changes can still be incorporated and not after full production has started.

Jan

Aug 23, 2010 at 5:23 PM Post #29 of 168
my balanced beta-22 is waiting for the he-6.
i´m the last of the list
mad.gif

aldo

Aug 23, 2010 at 7:05 PM Post #30 of 168
Alota – when I will have them I will send you information about this combination, because one my friend from Czech republic own this amp. I know, it will do waiting for you harder, but I believe you obtain information how it sounds, to be more motivated ... :)

I communicated today with Mr. Vrana from Casea company and he said me that he is able prepare special setup of Lyra amp for HE-6. I think excellent solid state amp for Hifiman headphones is very good idea. When I will have them in hands, I am going prepare careful review. It is naturally expected my work ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back