= HE-560 Enhancement Mod (v1.5) =
Apr 28, 2015 at 6:03 AM Post #301 of 342
Jerg, If you put silicone glue, dosent it make the pads non-removable? 
Im wondering if that could be a problem assuming you want to revert to original state of the HE-560

Apr 28, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #303 of 342
If you use the silicone quoted on the mod and not some super strength one or permanent deal, it should come off fairly easy.

I used the electrical tape variant of the mod with good success. This is where you seal the cup and pad with electrical tape on the outside.

I did the same.  I have all the mods discussed here, except I used the exterior electrical tape.  Interestingly, I found the application of the kneadable eraser putty around and under the exterior edge of the aluminum baffle rings to have more effect on the sound then some of the other pad mods.  I don't think the effect has much at all to do with a better acoustic seal but rather, a change in the resonant property of the entire baffle/ headphone housing interface.  This stuff has pretty serious damping qualities and my experience with loudspeakers tells me that changing the resonant signature of the housing will most definitely have an audible effect on frequency response.  

Apr 28, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #306 of 342
Just the baffle....all the way around with a generous amount.

Would you mind posting a couple pics of your mods? I am looking for ways to get the most out of Jergs Mods, but remain completely reversable.

Apr 30, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #307 of 342
Would you mind posting a couple pics of your mods? I am looking for ways to get the most out of Jergs Mods, but remain completely reversable.

Sorry, I don't have pics of what I personally did, but they would really be no different than the pics that are already in this thread. The only thing I didn't do was gluing the pads down.  I just put a thin piece of black electricians tape sealing the outside edge of the pad. There are pictures here of the tape mod. 

Jul 13, 2015 at 8:29 AM Post #310 of 342
I just picked up a pair of HE400's and was wondering if any of these mods would be beneficial? I am already gonna do the grill mod as it helped my old 500s but I want to know if anyone has experimented with these enhancement mods on the old 400's?

Jul 20, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #312 of 342
Anyone try these new he400s pads? They're $15 at head - direct and seems to be similar to the focus variants.

Yeah, all-velour FocusPads.  I'm not in love with the velour they use, esp. as compared to Brainwavz (HM5) and AKG.  Not a bad price, though.

The description mentions pleather, but I don't see it in the photos.

Sep 24, 2015 at 11:55 PM Post #313 of 342
I just picked up a pair of HE400's and was wondering if any of these mods would be beneficial? I am already gonna do the grill mod as it helped my old 500s but I want to know if anyone has experimented with these enhancement mods on the old 400's?

I regrilled, dampened, and added Focuspads to my 400s and it very significantly improved their sound quality across the board.

Nov 10, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #315 of 342
  Is the only place to buy Focuspads directly from the Hifiman site? US$39 seems a bit steep, especially when they sell the standard pads for $10.

Pretty sure I saw some knockoffs on eBay.

The only thing I'd caution is the "fit under the yokes" issue.  Pads that are too big will get caught under them, which will likely cause fit issues (depends on one's head size and shape).  I've gone through quite a few pads on the HE560s, and have ended up back at the FocusPads.  And even they are a tight fit under the yokes for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back