HE-500 damping mods
Jun 28, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #16 of 42
Quote:

To be fair, the HE500s have a significantly more even midrange all the way up to lower treble, compared to HE400s (which have a bump or two between 600~1000 Hz, and a pretty big dip between 2-4kHz). If the mod amps up the HE500 bass and softens its treble, then it at least on paper would have the 'fun' factor of HE400s without losing its midrange refinement.

No, it ups the highs (about 2dB) and just make bass to have little more slam (but not more in volume) - probably due to the faster attack. It does make HE-500 snappier and increases the 'fun' factor without losing its magical mids. 

Jul 7, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #17 of 42
I find the HE500's with the supplied cable to be sensitive to mechanical vibration. Rubbing or touching the cable produces a feedback sound ( similar to a tonearm) that is not subtle. The headphone itself is sensitive to rubbing or tapping on the plastic and metal parts. I spoke to Josh at Headroom and we concluded that the Audeze with wood surrounds does not do this because the wood damps vibration ( just like Grados do). But I like the headphones so I am searching for a solution. I will not replace the metal grille and I can't change the surround. Looks like cable change is the answer. I bought the HE500's at Headphone Bar; they report the HE400's are much quieter; their cable is Canare and it's got a rubber sleeve. For some reason HeadDirect didn't use that cable for the HE500's. Todd Green at TTVJ suggests using a Cardas cable as he does to eliminate noise. Has anyone found a cable solution?

Jul 7, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #18 of 42
The solution I chose was to simply buy a Q audio headphone cable from Steve Eddy on this forum. Problem solved.

Many others have done the same...

Jul 7, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #19 of 42
I used the same type of cable that's used on the T1 to make a new one, very tough and low micorphonics, total cost was 26 euro's for a 3 meter cable with 4pin neutrik xlr plug. The cable is a Sommer peacock mkII. Only downside is it's a bit heavy...

Jul 7, 2012 at 3:34 PM Post #20 of 42
Quote:
I find the HE500's with the supplied cable to be sensitive to mechanical vibration. Rubbing or touching the cable produces a feedback sound ( similar to a tonearm) that is not subtle.

That also drove me crazy.  I always tried to keep the cable away from my body as much as possible.  This was one of the first things I tried out with the LCD-2 and thankfully it doesn't have the problem.

Jul 10, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #21 of 42
I'm guessing you have the stock cable from Audeze. HeadDirect is going to send me a cable to replace the stock one ( if that doesn't help they said to send it all back for a complete refund). It's a crapshoot talking to them because of the language factor so I haven't found out which cable they're sending ( hopefully the HE400 cable because it's Canare and better shielded) .

Jul 21, 2012 at 2:50 AM Post #22 of 42
I removed the fabric mesh that's attached to the (outer) metal grill of my HE-500, then reinstalled the 'naked' grill.. to very favorable results.  Note that the micro fabric is (very lightly) glued to the metal grill.. so you will have to peel it off.  I'm sure it would be quite easy to get some light glue to paste it back onto the grill for those worried about voiding the warranty.  Since the fabric is cut out to the same size as the grill/driver housing.. re-gluing is not even a necessity.  Bottom line:  it's a safe (easily) reversible mod.

While I loved the HE-500 stock sound.. I wouldn't have minded taming its slightly forward bass & midrange, while increasing treble presence a smidgen.  Essentially. I would have liked a slightly more neutral, laid back twist (and more treble air and presence) on the stock tuning.  The treble has always had an alluring quality on the HE-500 to me.. but it appeared dark or buried, at times, behind the slightly aggressive, forward midrange & bass.  Removing the mesh fabric & reinstalling the 'naked' grills did precisely what I hoped for in coaxing some brightness and neutrality out of the HE-500.

Post mod.. the midbass quantity reduces to a near perfect amount for my taste.. the bass still maintains a nice soft, punch that simply perfect.  Bass still extends deep.. and it's better textured and faster with the tamed midbass.  While it doesn't have the presence and quantity of the stock config, I much prefer this softer more balanced bass presentation.

Moving onto the midrange.. it's every bit as liquid, clear, balanced, dynamic and detailed as it was in the stock config.  But taming the bass back added some serious magic to the midrange.  It's clearer, less aggressive (more space between the listener & the stage) and airy.  I can sense spatial queues easier and it's less fatiguing, overall.  Vocals, in particular, seem better articulated as they simply seem to have more room to 'breathe.'

The treble benefits in much the same way the midrange does.. but it's got noticeably more presence.  Some might experience some very slight sibilance with poorly recorded material.. but on the whole.. the treble has a much more enjoyable quantity and presence vs the stock config.  Treble presence is slightly north of neutral.. but not emphasized in such a manner that would feel derogatory to even the most ardent neutral-minded listeners.  Again, it's quite perfect for me, actually.. and it's very well suited to the overall tuning.  I can hear the lovely ortho clarity and timbre of the treble with more enjoyment now than the feeling I got with the stock config.. where it felt a half step behind the midrange, which tended to steal the show.

In relation to how I'd describe the stock tuning : forward, aggressive, and upfront.. I'd describe this modded tuning as sultry, inviting, romantic, and delicate.  I was pretty set on moving onto the HE-5LE (which, by most accounts, is more neutral than the HE-500).. but this little mod has squashed that desire.  The HE-500 has officially become my favorite headphone.  While the Paradox remains the most reference grade, neutral phone I've heard.. the HE-500 is its sexy "girl next door."

Jul 21, 2012 at 7:33 PM Post #24 of 42
Quote:
I removed the fabric mesh that's attached to the (outer) metal grill of my HE-500, then reinstalled the 'naked' grill.. to very favorable results.  Note that the micro fabric is (very lightly) glued to the metal grill.. so you will have to peel it off.  I'm sure it would be quite easy to get some light glue to paste it back onto the grill for those worried about voiding the warranty.  Since the fabric is cut out to the same size as the grill/driver housing.. re-gluing is not even a necessity.  Bottom line:  it's a safe (easily) reversible mod.

While I loved the HE-500 stock sound.. I wouldn't have minded taming its slightly forward bass & midrange, while increasing treble presence a smidgen.  Essentially. I would have liked a slightly more neutral, laid back twist (and more treble air and presence) on the stock tuning.  The treble has always had an alluring quality on the HE-500 to me.. but it appeared dark or buried, at times, behind the slightly aggressive, forward midrange & bass.  Removing the mesh fabric & reinstalling the 'naked' grills did precisely what I hoped for in coaxing some brightness and neutrality out of the HE-500.

Post mod.. the midbass quantity reduces to a near perfect amount for my taste.. the bass still maintains a nice soft, punch that simply perfect.  Bass still extends deep.. and it's better textured and faster with the tamed midbass.  While it doesn't have the presence and quantity of the stock config, I much prefer this softer more balanced bass presentation.

Moving onto the midrange.. it's every bit as liquid, clear, balanced, dynamic and detailed as it was in the stock config.  But taming the bass back added some serious magic to the midrange.  It's clearer, less aggressive (more space between the listener & the stage) and airy.  I can sense spatial queues easier and it's less fatiguing, overall.  Vocals, in particular, seem better articulated as they simply seem to have more room to 'breathe.'

The treble benefits in much the same way the midrange does.. but it's got noticeably more presence.  Some might experience some very slight sibilance with poorly recorded material.. but on the whole.. the treble has a much more enjoyable quantity and presence vs the stock config.  Treble presence is slightly north of neutral.. but not emphasized in such a manner that would feel derogatory to even the most ardent neutral-minded listeners.  Again, it's quite perfect for me, actually.. and it's very well suited to the overall tuning.  I can hear the lovely ortho clarity and timbre of the treble with more enjoyment now than the feeling I got with the stock config.. where it felt a half step behind the midrange, which tended to steal the show.

In relation to how I'd describe the stock tuning : forward, aggressive, and upfront.. I'd describe this modded tuning as sultry, inviting, romantic, and delicate.  I was pretty set on moving onto the HE-5LE (which, by most accounts, is more neutral than the HE-500).. but this little mod has squashed that desire.  The HE-500 has officially become my favorite headphone.  While the Paradox remains the most reference grade, neutral phone I've heard.. the HE-500 is its sexy "girl next door."

I'll be doing further listening to see if I hear any nasty, adverse peaks or resonance.. but so far.. I'm really impressed with this (extremely simple) tweak.  I hear a lot of what plin reported with his dampening mod..  Will report back with more impression in the coming days.

BTW.. it also looks pretty damn cool without the fabric mesh!

Not the best idea though, the fabric backing of the grill is to prevent dust and small particles from freely going into the driver chamber, the grill itself is more as a mechanical barrier against larger particles (pebbles etc) as well as accidents like poking with some sharp object. You need both.

Anyway, here's a rather thorough mod in response to the observations in this thread, which I performed today with communication with Plin:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/619447/hifiman-he400-he500-re-grilling-mod-56k-dial-up-users-beware

Jul 22, 2012 at 3:18 AM Post #25 of 42
Quote:

Not the best idea though, the fabric backing of the grill is to prevent dust and small particles from freely going into the driver chamber, the grill itself is more as a mechanical barrier against larger particles (pebbles etc) as well as accidents like poking with some sharp object. You need both.

Anyway, here's a rather thorough mod in response to the observations in this thread, which I performed today with communication with Plin:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/619447/hifiman-he400-he500-re-grilling-mod-56k-dial-up-users-beware

I added the link to the 2nd post.

I have not any available time (and will not have for at least some months) to try and compare the sound of Jerg's mod with mine, but I suspect that there would not be much of a difference. And it sure protects much better the driver!

It seems that the stock grill of HE-500 and HE-400 is more semi-open than 'real' open.

Aug 3, 2012 at 9:11 AM Post #26 of 42
The annoying (for me at least) 300Hz ringing

Hi there, I have owned both HE400 and (currently) HE500 and noted the same resonance or "ringing" in the mid range on both cans. This is particularly noticeable on female voices and at it's worst, completely ruins the otherwise excellent sound of these headphones. Suprisingly, I haven't found a single review (until now) that mentions this 'quality' to the sound.

My question to plin (and anyone else who cares to comment) is: does what I'm describing sound like what you have experienced?

Aug 3, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #28 of 42
Quote:

Hi there, I have owned both HE400 and (currently) HE500 and noted the same resonance or "ringing" in the mid range on both cans. This is particularly noticeable on female voices and at it's worst, completely ruins the otherwise excellent sound of these headphones. Suprisingly, I haven't found a single review (until now) that mentions this 'quality' to the sound.

My question to plin (and anyone else who cares to comment) is: does what I'm describing sound like what you have experienced?

You could test it out; just pop those grills off and hover them on and off the sides in your hands while playing music through the headphones, see if there's a noticeable impact on the midrange ringing with and without the grills in the way of the drivers from the outside.

Aug 3, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #29 of 42
Quote:
You could test it out; just pop those grills off and hover them on and off the sides in your hands while playing music through the headphones, see if there's a noticeable impact on the midrange ringing with and without the grills in the way of the drivers from the outside.

+1

Aug 3, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #30 of 42
Quote:

300Hz may indeed fail into the female vocal range, but I am not sure. The simple test that Jerg described may be the proof.
Personally, I was more annoyed on some male voices and mid-bass organic sounds. It is more than 2 months now that I have modded my HE-500 completely removing the grills and I am starting to forget how was the 'stock' sound. I surely do not feel the need to go back to it, but I am using eq to remove the 2-3dB High Frequency boost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back