HE-5 and EF5 amplifier combo
Jan 6, 2010 at 7:42 PM Post #16 of 28
Burning in ... sounds good
smily_headphones1.gif

Brilliant packaging!

Jan 7, 2010 at 11:55 PM Post #17 of 28
Hi Fang, the EF5 amp comes with 12AU7. Can I swap it with 12AT7? It has 3X more gain ....
I just happen to have a pir of old stock 12AT7s lying around ...
Again, any suggestion for tube rolling would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jan 18, 2010 at 10:08 PM Post #18 of 28
I swapped them with Japanese International Old Stock 12AT7 tube -- this tube type worked fine and sounded much better than the Chinese Stock tube.

I tried the NOS RCA 12AX7, the amp started to clip and bass was too flabby ... so 12AX7 type tube obviously does not work with this amp ...

I think, the amp and phones have more than 200 hours of burn-on now and they sound glorious.

They sound clearly world class!!!
After burn-in and NOS Tube - I'd say they get a 'A' Grade ... all under $1000 mark

For kicks ... I asked my son before the tube rolling ... how do they sound - he said they sound scratchy ... and he was right on ... after Another weekend's burn-in and tube rolling - most of the scratchiess has disappeared. I imagine some more burn-in will help take the last bit of that very slight bzz... in upper frequencies away. It is not bright or anything.

This combo is very open, large and smooth sounding ... as close to speaker listening as it gets without losing bass ...

I am encouraged to try a NOS 12AU7 tube ...

Cheers ...
Sunil

Feb 5, 2010 at 8:55 PM Post #19 of 28
Here are the Top 4 tubes that I ended up keeping ... Telefunken is most suitable for me ...

- Telefunken (1960s)
- Amprex (1960s)
- Sylvania (Military grade)
- RCA Clear Top

Thanks all for your support ...

Feb 19, 2010 at 5:48 AM Post #20 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by saisunil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here are the Top 4 tubes that I ended up keeping ... Telefunken is most suitable for me ...

- Telefunken (1960s)
- Amprex (1960s)
- Sylvania (Military grade)
- RCA Clear Top

Thanks all for your support ...

Thank you, saisunil
regular_smile .gif

I just rolled in a vintage Telefunken, a black-topped job probably from the '70s since it was $25 and there were a few "more desirable" ones in the $40 - $60 range from this vendor that were probably genuine '60s articles. I was getting a little less dynamic range on the high end out of the stock NOS tube than I had before burn-in of the combo; hard to tell if the tube was wearing out or if the cans were mellowing a bit (good thing IMO). My initial impression is that I have restored the treble extension somewhat from before burn-in, but it wasn't so bright like it used to be. The bass and mids seem marginally better as well, but no major changes (another good thing) in that respect.

Very happy with the result. All in all, this turned out perfect as I have a little more high-end detail like before, but not so forward that it fatigues me
beerchug.gif

Mar 19, 2010 at 11:36 AM Post #21 of 28
I auditioned the HE-5 with my TTVJ FET class A amp (all ss) at the recent HF meet in Qns NY and the combo was outstanding, best sounding hp I heard in my setup to date. This was the prototype of the newer version HE-5. I'm going to buy a set when available

Mar 20, 2010 at 8:44 PM Post #22 of 28
What is this newer version you speak of?

Mar 21, 2010 at 10:03 AM Post #23 of 28
Quote:

March 2010 - Planar cans - Head-Direct's in-house brand HiFiMan is three weeks away from launching its new $700 HE-5LE planar magnetic headphones with a claimed frequency response of 10Hz to 60kHz. Sensitivity is expectedly low at 87dB/1mW, impedance is 25 ohms. A detachable 2m cable with a full-size plug is standard. The velvet ear cushions are exchangable as well. The HE-5LE's weight is 450g without the cable.

6moons.com: News Room

Mar 21, 2010 at 8:21 PM Post #25 of 28
HMMMM wonder what the differences between the He-5 and HE-5LE will be... for only $100 more... wonder if this is a precursor to a Hiffiman JH13/JH16 threak!!!
popcorn.gif

ps I'm the happy owner of the EF-5/HE-5 combo

Mar 22, 2010 at 9:09 AM Post #26 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by buz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is this newer version you speak of?

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisnalee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It was briefly mentioned in the NYC spring 2010 meet thread that they are in development and would be called HE-5 Signature.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f45/of...6/#post6476462

Quote:

Originally Posted by agbassano /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HMMMM wonder what the differences between the He-5 and HE-5LE will be... for only $100 more...

"March 2010 - Planar cans - Head-Direct's in-house brand HiFiMan is three weeks away from launching its new $700 HE-5LE planar magnetic headphones with a claimed frequency response of 10Hz to 60kHz. Sensitivity is expectedly low at 87dB/1mW, impedance is 25 ohms. A detachable 2m cable with a full-size plug is standard. The velvet ear cushions are exchangeable as well. The HE-5LE's weight is 450g without the cable."

Every single thing quoted above from the 6moons blurb, from the specs right down to the cable, pads and weight also applies to the regular HE-5, so evidently they haven't announced the differences yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back