He-400i or T50RP mk3 which to start modding journey with?
Dec 5, 2018 at 6:04 PM Post #3 of 11
What's the point? Normally you mod a headphone to improve/fix something you find lacking. If you're buying a headphone to tinker with electronics, just buy some cheap headphone like the Koss UR-20, a used or 20$ chinese whatever and have fun. No need to risk buying and messing up a nice pair of headphones...

But anyway I really don't see the point. Normally you know what you're going for and if modding is the only way to get there then you do it, but typically you just buy a headphone which fits what you're looking for.

Modding isn't a goal, it's a means to an end.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2018 at 12:23 AM Post #4 of 11
What's the point? Normally you mod a headphone to improve/fix something you find lacking. If you're buying a headphone to tinker with electronics, just buy some cheap headphone like the Koss UR-20, a used or 20$ chinese whatever and have fun. No need to risk buying and messing up a nice pair of headphones...

But anyway I really don't see the point. Normally you know what you're going for and if modding is the only way to get there then you do it, but typically you just buy a headphone which fits what you're looking for.

Modding isn't a goal, it's a means to an end.

I have become highly interested in headphone design recently and believe it is easier to start from modding existing headphones in the market.
Reason of picking either he400i or T50RP is that I want something which its performance scales up nicely with effort put. In addition, if the modded phone falls behind in terms of quality compared to my current setup, it will be quite discouraging.
Based on what I found on internet, T50RP mk2 was the one most people began with. But now mk2 is discontinued and mk3 is not cheap. Besides, not every mk2 modding tutorials can be reapplied on mk3...

Dec 7, 2018 at 10:42 AM Post #7 of 11
There are a lot of published mods for the Fostex, you could get lost for months in reading/doing. I have the Fostex version of their idea of how to modify them (TH50RP).

I have the 4XX and know the 400i well. The mods here tend to be weighed towards pads and cables, and screen removal.

I have modded the TH50RP and 4XX both - not to the nth degree, but, well down the road.

4XX: strong bass over 50 Hz, too much mid/upper bass, too much treble, mids colorful but far from accurate.

TH50RP: silkier, finer mids than 4XX, treble more in balance than 4XX, but lacking in detail/sheen (white rather than silver cymbals), slight grain. Bass unmodified are fey period, even less impact than the Senn HD-600. The fancy mods making them almost closed can change them into forceful but clean bass cans. I like the middle ground of using blu tak on the screens (with batting near the membrane) to up the bass, but still leaving them open (I hate sonics of all closed cans personally).

However, IMO a used pair of HFM HE-500's with one of the 4 recommended pads run on a decent amp (not handhold, desktop w/ balanced outs more like) will crush the best modified version of either of those cans.

If you can live with detailed bass, but lesser sustain/impact the Senn HD-600 unmodded will cost you less then the 500's and be far more accurate than either of the two cans you mentioned.

Dec 7, 2018 at 2:31 PM Post #8 of 11
Agreed. And stock 58X is better than both those modded phones at same price. I know youre interested in modding though. You should definitely own the 58X and 6XX as reference cans. And then have your fun getting niche phones like: closed, diy, and whatever.

Dec 8, 2018 at 7:02 AM Post #9 of 11
There are a lot of published mods for the Fostex, you could get lost for months in reading/doing. I have the Fostex version of their idea of how to modify them (TH50RP).

I have the 4XX and know the 400i well. The mods here tend to be weighed towards pads and cables, and screen removal.

I have modded the TH50RP and 4XX both - not to the nth degree, but, well down the road.

4XX: strong bass over 50 Hz, too much mid/upper bass, too much treble, mids colorful but far from accurate.

TH50RP: silkier, finer mids than 4XX, treble more in balance than 4XX, but lacking in detail/sheen (white rather than silver cymbals), slight grain. Bass unmodified are fey period, even less impact than the Senn HD-600. The fancy mods making them almost closed can change them into forceful but clean bass cans. I like the middle ground of using blu tak on the screens (with batting near the membrane) to up the bass, but still leaving them open (I hate sonics of all closed cans personally).

However, IMO a used pair of HFM HE-500's with one of the 4 recommended pads run on a decent amp (not handhold, desktop w/ balanced outs more like) will crush the best modified version of either of those cans.

If you can live with detailed bass, but lesser sustain/impact the Senn HD-600 unmodded will cost you less then the 500's and be far more accurate than either of the two cans you mentioned.

A detailed and helpful comparison! Hat’s off.
I am now leaning toward T50RP after thinking through your comment.
In fact I was about to get a he400i originally because it is on sale at a local store (~130usd).
However, it is true that there isn’t much tutorials online, meaning I would need to experiment everything by myself which doesn’t sound a good idea to beginner like me.
I found someone sells t50rp on eBay at 135usd. Not sure any special offer before Xmas so I guess I will wait till then.

Dec 8, 2018 at 7:22 AM Post #10 of 11
Agreed. And stock 58X is better than both those modded phones at same price. I know youre interested in modding though. You should definitely own the 58X and 6XX as reference cans. And then have your fun getting niche phones like: closed, diy, and whatever.

My current setup is a HD650 paired with a modded bottlehead crack. An awesome synergy but It has been few years already.. I think I can use some excitement.

Dec 8, 2018 at 9:57 AM Post #11 of 11
Years ago I bought a T50RP Mk2 and did like the sound in stock form. It was already good enough. However, I decided to mod it and the sound definitely improved to another level. I eventually gave my T50RP away, only because I'm not really a fan of the Planar Magnetic sound. Planar Magnetic headphones are too clinical, for me to really like them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back