He 400 vs he 500
Jul 21, 2018 at 7:26 PM Post #2 of 15
I had 400 and I now have the 500.

The 400 has a very zingy sharp treble to my ears that the HE-500 remedies. The 500 is an excellent headphone, it has fantastic balance between the bass, mids, and treble. You will get a much less hollow midrange if you step up to the 500, and lose that sharp, zingy treble.

Highly recommended to upgrade, the 400 bass is really good, but the 500 has really good everything - it is a versatile headphone that is enjoyable with all types of music.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2018 at 9:07 PM Post #4 of 15
Ah HE500, the king of mids, just do it

source.gif

Either that or get a Sundara. I think the Sundara is even better than the HE-500 but then again I haven't heard the HE-500 in a while.

Jul 23, 2018 at 3:59 PM Post #8 of 15
They are different, and tastes will decide what works for what person.

HE-500:

Drawbacks - used, meh fit and finish, sometimes bass can be thick (less so with a potent amp with big control in the bass), sometimes on very bright recordings (Yes: Close to the Edge) it can be bright, but, a lot less then most HFM cans.

Pluses: magic midrange, subtle, potent, alive; bass potent and goes into the 30's well, above 2k great harmonics, recording cues, mic changes clear - very. It's a better sound than you get can get from Maggie 3.7i's. I'm using fazor mod, and stock sliver cable cut to 42". Equipment in sig.

Sundara: (note: heard on a lesser system then what my HE-500 sits on.

Drawbacks: many hardware issues (headbands mostly), mids are not magic. Very clean, nice imaging, but its in the clean, but somewhere threadbare of emotions and life family. Both of them crush the LCD2's.

Pluses: New. Very accurate, bass more nimble then 500's.

Aug 2, 2018 at 4:53 PM Post #11 of 15
In some ways. I'd take the mid bass, comfort, weight of the Sundara. The Sundara is more neutral, but, not as real. $449 is the cheapest I've seen the Sundara going for. A used HE-500 is $350-425. Even if the prices were reversed and I could have just one, it would be the 500. The Sundara is better than the 560 however since the spike in the treble of the 560 v1 is just too obnoxious. YMMV.

Aug 2, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #13 of 15
Sounds like the 500 are unique. I might grab a pair to compliment my Clears
Sounds like the 500 are unique. I might grab a pair to compliment my Clears

I haven't heard everything - far from it, but, it's the best all-in-one can I can find. I like it over the Senns, 600, 650, 800, the LCD-2. I listen to a wide mix - only eschewing show tunes, country, and chanting... they do it all. If you do it, get a decent amp to drive it with - in case you don't have one. Likes a good DAC too.

Jul 3, 2019 at 10:52 PM Post #15 of 15
Thx. I have a powerful violecteic 280 balanced amp. Should work well.

Did you ever get the 500's? I like them more now than I did when I wrote this. Going to the copper cable from the crappy stock SPC, and getting some dynamat in there has put them probably #1 in my listening - slightly ahead of the HEX v2 and well ahead of the: HD-600 and HE5se and HE5-LE and 4XX - and way ahead of stuff I've rid myself of: MD X00 Mahogany, Fostex FH500RP, Audeze LCD-2 2f.

The Sundara is cleaner in the bass, but doesn't emote, have the side to side imaging or depth, or subtle touch with overtones that the 500 does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back