HE-400 vs HD650
May 31, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #31 of 36

Actually I own now HE400i alongside with HD600 I also have listened HD650. you are may be right on bass slightly better articulation I hear, but overall I prefer HD600. It is more like side grade than upgrade for me

Sure, I can see people preferring either one. My point is just that the HE-400i shares none of the HE-400's weaknesses, so there's no reason to dismiss the HE-400i based on not liking the HE-400.

Jun 2, 2015 at 9:52 AM Post #32 of 36
Sure, I can see people preferring either one. My point is just that the HE-400i shares none of the HE-400's weaknesses, so there's no reason to dismiss the HE-400i based on not liking the HE-400.
+1...spent a fair amount of time listening the the HE400 and 500 side-by-side a while ago and decided I'd wait to get the 500; liked it much more than the 400. I waited long enough that 400i came out and got that -- glad I waited. I actually like the 400i a little better than the 500.

I own all three (HE400i, HD 650, & HD600) and if I had to choose one, it'd be the HE400i...that said, they'll all excellent cans and I don't think you'd be disappointed in any of them.

Lastly, the Senns have been a tremendous value lately with the 600's in the $220's on Amazon and Adorama and the 650's have been $279 (incl $25 rebate) as well.

Great to have these options!

Jun 2, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #33 of 36
they'll all excellent cans and I don't think you'd be disappointed in any of them.

Well, that's the problem. All of them are supposed to sound good and worth buying, so I constantly feel unsettled that there might something better out there for my money that I haven't tried. I end up not being able to find peace until I have tried everything people recommended. It's the reason why it's really hard to ask for advice when buying headphones.

Often, people who ask for advice end up buying all the headphones other people recommended and do a comparison themselves, as I often see on head-fi. However, I'm a student and my wallet isn't that generous, so I cannot afford that kind of luxury. I would appreciate a precise and unbiased description of the sound that the headphones produce more than a simple statement like "this is better than that". I think that will help me make a better decision on what pair of headphones to buy rather than getting myself to try them all and reduce my meals to instant noodles for the next few months. Right now I'm leaning toward the HE-400 still, since it sounds like a fun headphones and it's the most "bang for your buck". Thank everyone who has replied so far. I really appreciate your responses.

Jun 2, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #34 of 36
  Well, that's the problem. All of them are supposed to sound good and worth buying, so I constantly feel unsettled that there might something better out there for my money that I haven't tried. I end up not being able to find peace until I have tried everything people recommended. It's the reason why it's really hard to ask for advice when buying headphones.

Often, people who ask for advice end up buying all the headphones other people recommended and do a comparison themselves, as I often see on head-fi. However, I'm a student and my wallet isn't that generous, so I cannot afford that kind of luxury. I would appreciate a precise and unbiased description of the sound that the headphones produce more than a simple statement like "this is better than that". I think that will help me make a better decision on what pair of headphones to buy rather than getting myself to try them all and reduce my meals to instant noodles for the next few months. Right now I'm leaning toward the HE-400 still, since it sounds like a fun headphones and it's the most "bang for your buck". Thank everyone who has replied so far. I really appreciate your responses.

If you want fun, good detail and easy to drive the ATH-m50x's are all of that and built like tanks, plus closed-back so maybe good for out-and-about use. It comes with three cables - good for portable or at home. The HE-400 is technically a little better but has the faults mentioned, and really needs a high-current amp to sound its best. The m50x is quite a bit cheaper too.

Jun 2, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #35 of 36
Hey OP, sorry for digging up this 2-month-old thread, but I have a few questions about the HD650 and the HE400. Originally, I wanted to try out the HE400 since many people compliment on its great bass. I usually listen to sad pop songs with high vocal and occasionally deep bass, so the bass really stands out amidst the high parts. Therefore, deep, impactful bass makes the songs sound so much better! I went to an electronic store before to try out as many headphones as I could before deciding which one to buy, and the factor that made me say "yes, this is the one" was the quality of the bass. As you can see, I consider the bass an important element in my music, and the HE400, naturally, would be a good choice. However, after reading your comparison between the two, I learn that the HD400 is quite "energetic", "dynamic", and "unnatural" on the mid and high range. This could be a problem, since I wouldn't want the vocal, which apparently is the main part of the song, to be rough and unrefined. Also, I wouldn't want these sad songs to be too "fast" and "engaging", as I prefer a warm, rich, and processed sound. Do you think the HE400 would be a good fit for sad pop songs? Do you prefer listening to the HD650 for that? Or is there not a big difference between the two?

Hey nhoclesnar,

For that "warm" and "rich" sound you're after, the HD650 is going to be the one you want. It has a darker, more mellow tone that lends itself well to sad pop songs. Vocals will be full and natural. They'll be no harshness anywhere in the spectrum. It presents details in a very smooth manner. The HD650, in my opinion, has satisfying bass too. It's not for bassheads, but I'll put it this way: I already had the HE-400, and the HD650's bass level surprised me upon my first listen (in a good way).

Just to be sure, you can give me a list of your favourite songs if you want to, and I'll hop on Spotify and do a comparison tonight. Let me know. :)

Jun 3, 2015 at 2:38 AM Post #36 of 36
Hi Autoholic,

Only Love - Trademark
You're Beautiful - James Blunt
I'm not the only one - Sam Smith
And if you don't mind listening to a foreign language, this song too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrM-RBPtb7c

Those are the songs I can think of right now. I hope you can give me a general impression of how they sound on both headphones. Thanks for the help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back