HE-400 troubleshooting progress update and upgrading program
Feb 9, 2012 at 2:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 117

Nankai

Sponsor: HiFiMAN
About HE-400 issues, we have found out the reason of the problem. It is a design flaw, not a QC problem. We have made a significant prograss on fixing the problem. We are doing a comprehensive test of 2nd batch drivers. We will finish the test in about 2 weeks. Hopefully we will try to ship all orders before the end of Feb, 2012. We are doing a comprehensive test of 2nd batch drivers. We will finish the test in about 2 weeks. Hopefully we will try to ship all orders before the end of Feb, 2012.

Update Link:

http://www.head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=131

This upgrade program is only for those customers who perticipated HE-400 headphones preorder program and got defective HE-400 in the first batch. Upgrading cost is $150. 

It will take about 2 to 3 weeks to ship the HE500 headphones because we don't have them in stock currently.

After you finished your payment, please forward two order emails you received from us (HE-400 original order and upgrade to HE-500 order) to customerservice@head-direct.com and request HE-500 upgrading. We will email you about the address you need to ship your defect HE-400 back.

Reference
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/blog/2012/02/08/review-hifiman-he-400-and-he-500-headphones

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Feb 9, 2012 at 10:54 AM Post #4 of 117
Sort of glad I have to wait for a second batch set because if I had that upgrade option I wouldn't have been able to resist, and I really can't afford it right now being a student with no income :p. Looking forward to receiving my 400's though!

Feb 9, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #5 of 117

Quote:
Sort of glad I have to wait for a second batch set because if I had that upgrade option I wouldn't have been able to resist, and I really can't afford it right now being a student with no income :p. Looking forward to receiving my 400's though!

Same here, that and the fact that I won't be able to afford another damn amp that will drive HE500 lol.

Feb 10, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #9 of 117
Huh, even if I did like the HE-500 sound more I'm not sure I want a headphone that heavy.  The HE-400's are already pushing it.  Gotta think about this, that's a $200 dollar discount.  

Feb 10, 2012 at 1:41 AM Post #10 of 117
I finally gave up and sent mine back a week ago.  So when I started reading this thread, I must say.. I was disappointed with the first part regarding the delay.  

BUT WOW, got to say... Awesome customer service with this kind of offer.  Made the purchase, now wondering when i'll get mine.

Feb 10, 2012 at 2:44 AM Post #11 of 117
Wow this is very surprising. To everyone who has the opportunity to get the HE500's, I wholeheartedly recommend it. 

500$ for HE500's is a bang for the buck steal for a high class headphone

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Feb 10, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #13 of 117
Quote:

I can assure you that you won't be dissapointed with the HE-400 if you listen mostly to rythmical music. If I didn't already have the HE-6 and an amp to drive it, I would most likely have jumped for the offer. This is because I listen to a very wide group of genres (including classical, choral, opera and pop, dance, folk/rock, world music etc.) and then the HE-500 would have been a better headphone for me.

Having the HE-6 I actually I don't think I will take advantage of this very generous offer, because the HE-400 is so good with rythmical music and I can drive it directly from my HM-801 (w/ GAME amp). In this context the HE-400 complements the HE-6 very nicely for me: It is much easier to drive and it's better for rythmical music than my HE-6 because of the extra bass. The HE-400 is an awesomely transparent and well-balanced headphone at it's price point, I think. At least compared to the AKG K701, that I sold when I ordered the 400.

Feb 10, 2012 at 7:06 PM Post #15 of 117
If I already got my replacement driver am I still eligible for this?  How long do we have to decide?  This sounds like a great deal but I'm not sure yet.  The HE-500 isn't that much heavier than the HE-400...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back