HE-400 or modded Mad Dogs
Aug 25, 2012 at 8:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

eddieg24

New Head-Fier
I know these are both planar headphones. I listen to primarily jazz and classical rock. The price difference between the high end Mad dog and HE-400 favors the mad dogs, but I was wondering if they are as well constructed, comfortability, and sound quality.

Aug 25, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #2 of 19
Quote:
I know these are both planar headphones. I listen to primarily jazz and classical rock. The price difference between the high end Mad dog and HE-400 favors the mad dogs, but I was wondering if they are as well constructed, comfortability, and sound quality.

Both headphones are great. Mad Dogs are the better value, obviously.
The construction of the Fostex aren't special, they are solid though,
the comfort is there, at least as good as HE-400.

Sound wise, this is where you get into the differentials. or lack there of.

Mad Dogs are closed headphones. They offer a somewhat laid back presentation
similar to LCD-2's, but the bass isn't as deep nor extended. It's there when needed,
soundstage is quite good for a closed can, imaging is quite good.
There is a natural presentation again similar to LCD-2's.

Now the HE-400's are such a mixed bag for me. I hold the opinion
that the HE-400 is wonky, It's a dark headphone, with treble peaks,
non fatiguing though. Soundstage is bigger and better. I don't 
think they do bass as good as the Mad Dogs.

Their strongest point is they are such a fun headphone for electronic music.
The Mad Dogs however are the better all around headphone.

Should also note: HE-400 need to have ear pads replaced with velours.
You can see that thread (you know the one) and every person would tell
you the stock HE-400 just falls flat. When you replace them with velours
they are so transformed.

The Mad Dogs should be bought in September when Dan releases the Mad Dog ear pads 
or w.e. he's gonna call them. 

Preferences always plays the biggest factor in what's right for you. Just 2 cents here.

Aug 25, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #3 of 19
New name...

MADMUTS II 

Just had an opportunity to listen to the new maddogs for 3 days,with new mod & new pads.

More comfort
Deeper bass
More overall SQ ,with much more individual instrument separation & detail.

An excellent upgrade..imho.
Well,worth the price...

Aug 25, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #4 of 19
Quote:
New name...

MADMUTS II 

Just had an opportunity to listen to the new maddogs for 3 days,with new mod & new pads.

More comfort
Deeper bass
More overall SQ ,with much more individual instrument separation.detail.

An excellent upgrade..imho.
Well,worth the price...

I think I'll be getting them this week.

Aug 25, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #5 of 19
You can preorder Mad Dogs with Dog Pads now and they will be shipped during second week of September
HE-400 are heavy but a lot of people adapt to it within a week

Aug 25, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:
You can preorder Mad Dogs with Dog Pads now and they will be shipped during second week of September
HE-400 are heavy but a lot of people adapt to it within a week

So "we" should get our Dog Pads very soon. Maybe this 1st week. I'll have the Dog pads until Thursday.

Aug 25, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #7 of 19
Para,
Its not a absolute must ,if you need to keep them for an extra day..I'm sure Dan won't mind..{I'm talking about the test pair}
I had to.do this...because of my work schedule.

My wife dropped them off at the PO this am..of course,her thinking is ,the less headphones around the house ,the better.
Little does she know????.

Aug 25, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:
Para,
Its not a absolute must ,if you need to keep them for an extra day..I'm sure Dan won't mind
I had to.do this...because of my work schedule.

My wife dropped them off at the PO this am..of course,her thinking is ,the less headphones around the house ,the better.
Little does she know????

No, he wants me to priority them back on Thursday. So...

Aug 25, 2012 at 9:26 PM Post #9 of 19
Sorry for the derailment here.

Aug 26, 2012 at 9:42 AM Post #10 of 19
Thanks for your reply. It was very helpful. My question is which version of the Mad dogs shyould I go for? They range from 249 to 299. Is the extra fifty bucks worth it? Comfort is less important to me than sound. Can the pads really make such a big difference in bass?

Aug 26, 2012 at 9:47 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:
Thanks for your reply. It was very helpful. My question is which version of the Mad dogs shyould I go for? They range from 249 to 299. Is the extra fifty bucks worth it? Comfort is less important to me than sound. Can the pads really make such a big difference in bass?

The $249 option is the Mad Dog (pre order) new Dog pad ear pads. The $299 option is the same exact thing, except 
with the leather comfort strap.

The comfort strap does add that extra comfort, but it's not necessarily needed and can be added at a later date if wanted.

The pads do make a difference, I've come from the original Mad Dogs with the Fischer 003 pads, then upgraded to the Shure 840 pads
which offered tighter bass and more balance in tonality.

Aug 26, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:
on the site it appeared as the ear pads were leather and suggesting better bass. Am I incorrect?

I am not sure if you're saying this comparatively to the 003 pads or 840 to the new Mad dog pad? But yes, to answer your question.

Aug 26, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #14 of 19
Yes the 299 price seems to include the leather pads. the 269 price has the Shure 840's or so it appears. So if I go with the more expensive pad and forego the comfort pad, will I be sacrificing much. Of course I haven't spoken to Dan about the feasibility of doing this but if I can save 29 bucks without sacrificing sound I just might do that.

Aug 26, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:
Yes the 299 price seems to include the leather pads. the 269 price has the Shure 840's or so it appears. So if I go with the more expensive pad and forego the comfort pad, will I be sacrificing much. Of course I haven't spoken to Dan about the feasibility of doing this but if I can save 29 bucks without sacrificing sound I just might do that.

I would imagine that after the release of pre orders Dan will make the Dog pads the standard for the Mad Dogs.

No, the comfort pad is nice but as said isn't a necessity nor would you be suffering comfort issues without it.

Talk to Dan, he's always easy to talk to and he cares about his customers. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back