HE-400 have let me down, what happened?
Jun 12, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #137 of 144
Quote:

Yeh I notice that it all goes very rapidly downhill when you are under 320kbps MP3... A small amount of natural sibilance into a horrible sharp SSSS noise. Especially on badly mastered music. - I don't even listen to anything under 320kbps or badly mastered music anymore.

These people going around saying that 128kbps MP3 sounds the same must be pretty deaf.

I concur. I remaster every single song I listen to, count is up to 8000+ songs now. I just can't stand hiss and I use Waves X-Noise to remove it. 

From there I use either subtractive or additive EQ with Brainworx bx digital V2, which also gives you the option to widen or close the soundstage. Then I run all this through a Metric Halo ULN-8, which has character plugins that mimic tube or solid state consoles. 

I start with flacs and bounce them to .aif or .wavs for editing/remastering, then finally to 320k mp3's for portable listening. 

Jun 12, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #138 of 144
duplicate

Dec 14, 2013 at 2:34 AM Post #139 of 144
boo @ Fedelesk,

didja ever find ur perfect pair of headphones?!?!? how does this story end???!?!? 
mad.gif

unwittingly unstumbled through & read a thread 6 months old w/ no conclusion!!!!!

Dec 14, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #140 of 144
The final concusion. I first found a buyer for my he400s a while back so at least I got most of my money back. Also he said he was enjoying them thoroughly so I am happy they are in better hands. Since I have had the M100s, their sound has been AWESOME. They have the punchy bass I was wanting and expecting. They do have very upgraded sound compared to the hd280s like people had said. Finally a headphone without sibilance problems, my eq doesnt drop off like a cliff. I can tell now these are definitely not "the ones" though. The only problemis comfort. While most might say they are ok, I have sensitive ears pressure-wise. So any contact makes my ears sore. And these make plenty of contact. Amazing sound in the end but I do think I payed a bit for style like a beats pair. These wont be my special phones forever, but for the next few years, hell ya. If I go for another pair its gonna be fuller size softer phones closed and mayyybe more sub bass.

Dec 14, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #141 of 144
The final concusion. I first found a buyer for my he400s a while back so at least I got most of my money back. Also he said he was enjoying them thoroughly so I am happy they are in better hands. Since I have had the M100s, their sound has been AWESOME. They have the punchy bass I was wanting and expecting. They do have very upgraded sound compared to the hd280s like people had said. Finally a headphone without sibilance problems, my eq doesnt drop off like a cliff. I can tell now these are definitely not "the ones" though. The only problemis comfort. While most might say they are ok, I have sensitive ears pressure-wise. So any contact makes my ears sore. And these make plenty of contact. Amazing sound in the end but I do think I payed a bit for style like a beats pair. These wont be my special phones forever, but for the next few years, hell ya. If I go for another pair its gonna be fuller size softer phones closed and mayyybe more sub bass.

Add the XL pads to your purchase bro & your comfort issues magically improve overnight. 
smily_headphones1.gif
 ->>>
L3000.gif

I had the same issue w/ the M100 after 30mins of listening. I say horrible design flaw, but V-Moda is legit & listened to customer feedback, and released their new XL memory pads.

I knew within the first few posts that the M100 were the headphones for you! hahaha... they ride the razor's edge balance of quality & quantity of bass w/o sacrificing too much of the rest of the frequency. best headphones for bassheads.

kinda funny tho, I went the other direction than you. Hadda M100 & now I moved onto the HE400 (but the occasional silibance is quite annoying)

Dec 15, 2013 at 4:59 AM Post #142 of 144
Oh thanks for the recommendation I will probably look into those pads haha. Would you know anything about if the other pads effect the sound in any way? Ya great headphones overall.  

Dec 15, 2013 at 5:23 AM Post #143 of 144
  Oh thanks for the recommendation I will probably look into those pads haha. Would you know anything about if the other pads effect the sound in any way? Ya great headphones overall.  

Really mixed feedback about the sonic changes (some say better/some say worse/some say more bass/some say less bass lol) or if there even is a sonic change for different people on the V-Moda M100 thread. However, my opinion is that if your ears don't currently fit into the stock pads, you already aren't hearing the optimal sound as tuned because you already have a bad fit. So why not get the pads & experience an increase in comfort & hear the v-moda sound as the engineers designed it. Everyone has different ear shapes and a different fit and different preferences, so I think that it is hard to predict how the new pads will affect the sound for you.

Dec 15, 2013 at 5:32 AM Post #144 of 144
  Really mixed feedback about the sonic changes (some say better/some say worse/some say more bass/some say less bass lol) or if there even is a sonic change for different people on the V-Moda M100 thread. However, my opinion is that if your ears don't currently fit into the stock pads, you already aren't hearing the optimal sound as tuned because you already have a bad fit. So why not get the pads & experience an increase in comfort & hear the v-moda sound as the engineers designed it. Everyone has different ear shapes and a different fit and different preferences, so I think that it is hard to predict how the new pads will affect the sound for you.

Ya that makes sense. Don't worry I was going to order em either way, a slight change in sound is WELL worth getting rid of the pain I actually have to deal with when listening to those things for any amount of time. I do have to say, the compact design is impressive considering they do get fully around the ear still. But I do wish they could be scaled up about 10-15% haha. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back