HDVA 600 or tube amp for HD800?
Nov 7, 2013 at 4:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Dennis SK

New Head-Fier
Hello all!

The few reviews that are out on HDVA600 state that the amp is a "perfect match" for HD800.
I listened to a HDVD600/HD800 setup and it was very good. But, I haven't been able to try out tube amps like WA2 or balanced WA22 or any good tube amp for that matter.

So my question is: Have any of you been lucky enough to try out the HDVA600 AND a Wooaudio tube amp and are able to compare?
What amp suits the HD800 best?

If you have tried the HDVA600 and have other good amp ideas I would gladly hear about it.

I couldnt find any comparrison of HDVA600 and a tube amp with HD800 on the forums.

What I look for in amp for my HD800:
-Good bass
-Slightly more smoothed out treble
-Big soundstage
-Details

Thanks in advance

Nov 7, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #2 of 9
The HDVA600 is a good amp, but not perfect in my opinion. 

It can handle the HD600/650 well but it doesn't make justice to the HD800. As i don't like tubes much, have you looked into the Solid state Burson Conductor? Worth checking. 

Nov 7, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #4 of 9
Hello all!
What I look for in amp for my HD800:
-Good bass
-Slightly more smoothed out treble
-Big soundstage
-Details
http://www.head-fi.org/t/642742/black-pearl-headphone-amp-from-ear-stream-loaners-thoughts

Nov 16, 2013 at 8:33 AM Post #5 of 9
  The HDVA600 is a good amp, but not perfect in my opinion. 

It can handle the HD600/650 well but it doesn't make justice to the HD800. As i don't like tubes much, have you looked into the Solid state Burson Conductor? Worth checking. 

Thank you for the answer and suggestion.
Why didnt you like it with the HD800? (and why do you like the Burson better)

I havent tried the Burson but will do as soon as I get a chance. I'm not in any kind of rush to buy an amp. I'll do fine with a very basic setup until I find the right amp. 

Also consider Lehmann Audio Linear amp.

Thank you for the suggestion. Why would you say that one fits the HD800?

Feb 20, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #6 of 9
I am also looking for a replacement in the amp department. I own a Burson HA160 and the sound on the HD800 is somewhat harsh. Not noticeable in classical/jazz, but very much so on rock/blues. I thought the Wooaudio WA2 would be the best choice (for the price), yet here comes this HDVA600.

I wonder if anybody got to make a comparison, so he could post a result here.

Feb 20, 2014 at 10:58 PM Post #8 of 9
I auditioned the Burson at the time and fully agree with what you experienced.  The HD-800 is notoriously picky with DAC/amp combos.  What works well for me was the Violectric combo (see my sig) but I'm sure there are other good combinations available.  The Vio is just a tad warm (for an ss amp) and takes down the treble somewhat.  It's not hyper resolving either, not a bad combo with the HD-800.  There are a couple of reviews online, a major plus is that the V200 is a powerful desktop amp, it drives some very insensitive headphones well.

In my opinion, if you want to get the max out of the 800 while taking of their harsh edge and provided this works well with your musical tastes (I'd say anything but fast electronic music/rock), you should look at getting a good tube amp.  

The 800 does amazingly well with what I have (better than with any ss headphone amp I've auditioned it with and I've tried many), and if you roll tubes you can really work towards the sound reproduction you like.  I would recommend a fairly neutral sounding tube amp and imo it's imperative that you audition before purchasing, even much more so than with an ss amplifier.

Jan 5, 2015 at 5:57 AM Post #9 of 9
Burson- overrated. Harsh, and glassy in tone next to the HDVA. Don't care what chip that's in the Conductor versions... Still average and overrated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back