HDTV question (LCD & plasma)
Sep 28, 2007 at 12:48 AM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewG /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I went to best buy today and looked at the TVs, however I was disappointed by how all of their picture quality, the 1080p TVs around 40-50"

It all looked too grainy, even the ones showing HD material seemed to have ghost like quality. Are the store models inaccurate representations of the capability of these TVs?

Never judge a set in a retail environment unless it has been ISF'ed. I know some Magnolias have certain models calibrated but most sets on the retail floor are fed a poorly split signal.

Sep 28, 2007 at 1:52 AM Post #18 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by raisin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOT'S of misinformation going on here, even by people quoting AVS... if it really matters to you - do your own research!

enlighten us oh great one.
rolleyes.gif

Sep 28, 2007 at 3:14 AM Post #19 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by raisin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOT'S of misinformation going on here, even by people quoting AVS... if it really matters to you - do your own research!

Yes, please be specific regarding the misinformation you've spotted.
Thanks,

Sep 28, 2007 at 5:08 AM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by earwicker7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...images into a plasma screen. The same goes for stock tickers and stuff like that.

I always hear that. But I wonder how many people shell out thousands for a tv with a gorgeous picture, only to watch CNN and a stock ticker?
blink.gif
For me, I recently took a good, hard look at a few of the latest offerings side by side, and I now am seriously considering plasma. There was just something almost analog about it. Gorgeous. I also have the rainbow affliction, so any of those style tvs make me crazy: I can't take it!

Sep 28, 2007 at 5:50 AM Post #21 of 24
The extra power consumption of a plasma can outweigh the initial price difference when you factor in electric bills over the lifetime of the TV. Do the math, you will be surprised.

Example:
  1. Sharp Aquos 42" 1080p LCD: 247W.
  2. Pioneer Elite ProFHD1 42" plasma: 420W.
  3. Average hours of TV watched per day in the US: 8 hours (according to http://www.economist.com/research/ar...ory_id=9527126)
  4. Marginal cost per kWh (California, PG&E): 13 cents.
  5. Electricity cost differential between LCD and plasma: $65/year.

Sep 28, 2007 at 5:56 AM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwkarth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, please be specific regarding the misinformation you've spotted.
Thanks,

I haven't done any major comparisons since I bought my plasma a year and a half ago, but I'm wondering where you're getting the info that the best LCDs are superior to the best plasmas. Are you basing this on your own observations or from comparative studies, and which models were deemed the best?

Also, you can't go by the specs the manufacturers publish as they can be misleading, especially when it comes to contrast ratios. And despite what critics say, I think plasmas will still be around for a while (e.g. Panasonic continues to increase their output). Personally, I just prefer the look of plasmas.

Sep 28, 2007 at 6:05 AM Post #23 of 24
Currently own a 42" Samsung plasma, and just 2 weeks ago picked up a 32" Sony lcd for the bedroom.

Personally I prefer the plasma for great colour reproduction and vibrancy. I will say though that the lcd seems to be a crisper picture. Both running digital and hd.

As your main tv try plasma. Panasonic, Pioneer,and Samsung seem to be the leaders right now ( plasma wise ).

Sep 28, 2007 at 9:21 AM Post #24 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by zotjen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't done any major comparisons since I bought my plasma a year and a half ago, but I'm wondering where you're getting the info that the best LCDs are superior to the best plasmas. Are you basing this on your own observations or from comparative studies, and which models were deemed the best?

Also, you can't go by the specs the manufacturers publish as they can be misleading, especially when it comes to contrast ratios. And despite what critics say, I think plasmas will still be around for a while (e.g. Panasonic continues to increase their output). Personally, I just prefer the look of plasmas.

This is my understanding of the general consensus in the industry, and my personal observation. That is not to say that there aren't plasmas available with outstandingly good pictures, because obviously, there are. But all factors considered, it is generally agreed, that the best LCD offerings, out perform the best plasma offerings in most categories. Of course there's an element of subjectivity involved, but it's a general consensus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back