HDTracks, MFSL, Analog Productions hi-rez what's going on?
Jan 30, 2017 at 9:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

timb5881

1000+ Head-Fier
Ok, I see the same titles on all three labels. Are there 3 diffent mastering or is somebody relabeling the same files? Well, the MFSL are sacd discs, and the others are PCM downloads. I have seen Bob Dylan titles on all 3, it just kind od strange.

Feb 1, 2017 at 8:36 AM Post #2 of 2
Ok, I see the same titles on all three labels. Are there 3 diffent mastering or is somebody relabeling the same files? Well, the MFSL are sacd discs, and the others are PCM downloads. I have seen Bob Dylan titles on all 3, it just kind od strange.

Although I believe there are exceptions to every rule, I assume for the most part, these are all different masterings.  I'm pretty certain MFSL doesn't (probably can't) license its masterings to anyone else (except maybe some Sinatra titles ultimately issued by the Sinatra family interests?).  The MFSL Dylan titles are certainly different than Sony's masterings for their Dylan SACDs (which I presume are the basis for the downloads).  I've can't recall a Dylan AP title, although I have a couple of Dylan Audio Fidelity titles.  Those were mastered by Steve Hoffman who does not do MFSL.

But you never know.  I bought the highly touted and fairly expensive Japanese SHM SACD of "Exile on Main Street" only to discover that the same master was used for the less expensive Blu-Ray.  And speaking of the Stones, it's my understanding that the earliest Stones CDs were instances of ABKCO - ahem - borrowing the masters MFSL created for its LP box set.  I have the "Hot Rocks" from that series and although the label is ABKCO, the booklet says mastered by MFSL.

To take another example MFSL's Miles Davis series does not use the same mastering as Sony's releases.  In fact in a number of cases MFSL reverts to the original mixes, while the Sony releases are remixes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back