HDR photography
Jul 1, 2008 at 5:57 AM Post #16 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Csidinim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
while we are on the subject of raw, what exactly is the difference between in-camera processing and software processing when speaking about exposure. when you take a raw image, cs3 or the camera bundled software will let you adjust the exposure as post process. I assume that is the same thing that is done in camera when you take a jpeg- except with raw, the extra information is still available to rebuild the image within a range of exposures. what is the difference

RAW files are saved at 16bit while the jpg is in 8bit. With a jpg you are left with only 256 levels of brightness. A Raw file has the full range of the cameras chip available to you.

Jul 1, 2008 at 6:13 AM Post #17 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How did you take three identical shots without using a tripod?

No caffeine whatsoever and meditating for three hours before shooting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by diredesire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is an auto-align function in PShop, also, you might try a sandbag or desk as a support system. Remotes are a good way to achieve this.

Okay, okay, infinitesymphony, I've been caught. I probably have more caffeine than blood in my veins most of the time....

Yes, diredesire hit it on the head--it's an auto-align function (in Photomatix in my case). If you look closely at the edges of the Photomatix HDR image I posted, you'll see just how off I was, as I didn't elect to crop off the edges (and so you can see just how off I was).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
....However, you can do "pseudo" HDR with RAW images....

I may have to try that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
....HDR is kind of a gimmicky term for a technique of merging multiple images that has been around for a long time.

Yeah, Ed, but "HDR" is so much easier to say and spell than "ATOMMITHBAFALT."
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
....Then again, it is useful for creating HDR shots of scenes with moving objects in them....

Good point.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
....Here is one of my earlier efforts creating a HDR from a single RAW file.

That's a very nice result. I'm really going to have to try that single-image RAW method.

Nov 19, 2008 at 7:13 PM Post #19 of 19
Very nice nickofall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back