HD800s vs. Beyer T1.2?
Jul 4, 2018 at 1:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Monsterzero

Headphoneus Supremus
I have heard neither of the newer versions of these headphones. I used to own the T1.1 and while really enjoyed the soundstage,imaging and the out of the head experience it really lacked bass slam.

Im looking at these two for my next purchase and would like to get impressions of which of these two headphones will provide the best combination of the out of head experience +slam (slam is of course relative,not looking for a basshead HP)

Either will driven by a Glenn OTL,so amping is covered.

EDIT:

The desired usage will be strictly for deep/psy/Goa trance & psybient

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2018 at 2:01 PM Post #2 of 18
Since you were disturbed by its lack of bass slam, I'm going to say that none of these headphones provide everything you want. If you want an out of head experience with good bass slam, you need something other than a dynamic driver headphone. You're going to find the HD 800 S and T1 Gen 2 to still be unsatisfactory in that regard, they are not different enough than their previous generations to provide noticeably more bass slam. I haven't listened to the T1 Gen 2 but I've read that it's barely any different than the original. I think the warmer HD 800 S might be your preference between the two.

These are the only headphones I've encountered that deliver an out of head experience AND fairly strong bass slam:

- HiFiMan HE-6 (might work well with one of your receivers)
- Stax SR-007 with a good enough amp, especially with the bass port mod on the MK2/A version
- Stax SR-009 with a good enough amp
- Audeze LCD-4 (might work well with one of your receivers)
- JPS Labs Abyss AB-1266 / Abyss Phi (might work well with one of your receivers)

I don't have enough experience with the HE1000 and different amps to know what kind of bass slam it is capable of.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2018 at 2:08 PM Post #3 of 18
HiFiMan HE-6 (might work well with one of your receivers)

I used to have an HE-6.driven from taps. Youre correct its a great sounding headphone,but after two driver failures in less than 9 months on a brand new pair,I was forced to sell mine before the warranty expired. Really disappointing experience.

To be clear,Im not looking for HE-6 type slam,rather something that has some thump,need not be teeth rattling.

they are not different enough than their previous generations to provide noticeably more bass slam.

Interesting,I had heard that they both addressed the bass issues.

- Stax SR-007 with a good enough amp, especially with the bass port mod on the MK2/A version
- Stax SR-009 with a good enough amp
- Audeze LCD-4 (might work well with one of your receivers)

Too rich for my wallet.

I don't have enough experience with the HE1000 and different amps to know what kind of bass slam it is capable of.

On principles alone I wont purchase another HiFiMan product until they resolve the build issues.

I also do not want to have to buy a new amp(so STAX is out). I want to be able to use my OTL,so unless im fading on another option the 800S vs. T1.2 are the obvious choices.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2018 at 5:27 PM Post #4 of 18
Hey,

Bass on the Sennheiser HD800S is very similar to the bass on the Beyerdynamic Tesla T1 (1st Gen), both in terms of slam an quantity.
It's slightly drier overall on the Senn and slighly fuller on the Tesla T1 (1st Gen) - but still very close.

Bass on the Sennheiser HD800 (Silver) is perceived slightly drier relative to the HD800S.

Bass on the Beyerdynamic Tesla T1 (2nd Gen) is just a little bit more impactful than both HD800S and Tesla T1 (1st Gen).
It's also slightly fuller than the bass on Tesla T1 (1st Gen) which is a tiny bit fuller than the bass on HD800S.

Bass on K812 is also slighly fuller and just a little bit more impactful than the bass on HD800S, but it's a more forward sounding headphone so the presentation as a whole is quite different, although out of your head experience is also top notch.

There's always a trade off and this is no exception.
T1.2 and T1.1 with 2nd Gen earpads offer a denser/fuller/more compact sound that's often a better match for those genres that require the sense of "powerful sound" (for lack of a better words)
Headphones like HD800S and K812 are more ethereal sounding so out of your head experience is even better, but the sound is also more spread and slightly less full in terms of tonality.

Just in case, if you've owned a very early T1.1 (sn. under 4000) keep in mind that according to some reports some of those were lighter in the bass relative to later units of the very same headphone.

Hope this helps,
Me x3

Jul 4, 2018 at 6:37 PM Post #5 of 18
Lots of great info

Thank you Me x3,great stuff....

By impedance rating alone I cant consider the K812,which brings us back to the original 2 I asked about...

For the genres listed above(dunno if you listen to such stuff or not) and you were forced to pick,which one would you choose?
Or a more objective way to put it,which of the two is less peaky in the upper mids/low highs?

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2018 at 6:54 PM Post #6 of 18
Thank you Me x3,great stuff....

By impedance rating alone I cant consider the K812,which brings us back to the original 2 I asked about...

For the genres listed above(dunno if you listen to such stuff or not) and you were forced to pick,which one would you choose?
Or a more objective way to put it,which of the two is less peaky in the upper mids/low highs?

Since I'm not very familiar with the listed genres I think it's wiser to ask you to point me to few tracks that you can use as a reference.
(No need for links, just name the artists and songs)

Jul 4, 2018 at 7:11 PM Post #7 of 18
I have heard neither of the newer versions of these headphones. I used to own the T1.1 and while really enjoyed the soundstage,imaging and the out of the head experience it really lacked bass slam.

Im looking at these two for my next purchase and would like to get impressions of which of these two headphones will provide the best combination of the out of head experience +slam (slam is of course relative,not looking for a basshead HP)

Either will driven by a Glenn OTL,so amping is covered.

EDIT:

The desired usage will be strictly for deep/psy/Goa trance & psybient

I have never heard the T1.1
I can say that the HD800 and Glenns OTL is a top notch combo...absolutely positively :)

Jul 4, 2018 at 7:11 PM Post #8 of 18
Stuff like this(in FLAC)

You get the idea....

Jul 4, 2018 at 9:07 PM Post #9 of 18

I've tested your songs on both headphones.
Spent good part of my time with 'Are Am Eye' (Flac 24bit version). I've found it to be a pretty complete track for the matter.

-cut to the chase-
Both sound very well as they should. I would personally pick the T1 (2nd Gen) over the HD800S for the listed music.
T1.2 offers a more cohesive, more full bodied, punchier and less intrusive presentation to my ears.
The sound on HD800S remains drier and more disconnected next to the T1.2. Very good and enjoyable, but not as moving as the Beyer.

On the objective take, the T1.2 has more presence below 400Hz thus the upper midrange is perceived slightly softer in comparison.
Now into the treble region, the HD800S has more energy between 4kHz and 7kHz. While not as much as a silver HD800, the HD800S retains that same kind of sound to some degree.
T1.2 is softer in this region and its bright nature only comes into play passing 7-8kHz which is welcome in this case to my ears.

:dt880smile:
Me x3

Jul 5, 2018 at 12:45 PM Post #10 of 18
I appreciate you taking the time to a/b for me,thanks @Me x3 !
Looks like I will focus on the Beyer.

Jul 5, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #11 of 18
Personally, I'd go for an Eikon over those two for psy stuff. But I just saw that you already have an Atticus so maybe not. I love my HD800 so I'm biased for that over the Beyer, but I do like the newer 2nd gen Beyers in general. I don't think you can really go wrong with either. I find the Senns to be more comfortable with the bigger ear holes so I'd probably lean that way.

Jul 5, 2018 at 1:44 PM Post #12 of 18
Personally, I'd go for an Eikon over those two for psy stuff.

If grabbing another ZMF headphone Im prone to focus on the Auteur,though Ive yet to actually hear one(I talked my brother into getting one) I dunno how it would do with the genres listed above.

Too much gear I have my eye on,and not enough plata :frowning2:

Jul 5, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #13 of 18
If grabbing another ZMF headphone Im prone to focus on the Auteur,though Ive yet to actually hear one(I talked my brother into getting one) I dunno how it would do with the genres listed above.

Too much gear I have my eye on,and not enough plata :frowning2:
I feel that. I have my setup to a point where I'm at a good price/performance ratio so I'd have to spend a ton to get an upgrade. Bleh.

FWIW, my favorite headphone for psy stuff (and I listen to a lot of it, including Doof) is the Ether C (original or Flow). Not on your list and pretty different from the HD800s or T1.2, but just throwing it out there.

Jul 5, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #14 of 18
the Ether C (original or Flow)

Yup,but then im back to not being able to utilize my GOTL,nor my vintage receivers. The only amp I have for low ohm headphones is the R2R-11,but thats getting moved to my den system where it will be used strictly as an DAC,feeding a vintage receiver/speaker setup.

I have two DACs incoming,one has a built-in headamp,the other does not. The plan is to keep one and flip the other.

The GOTL just brings so much more staging,layering,detail and impact to the equation that its hard,once heard,to go back to a lesser amp.

Jul 5, 2018 at 2:02 PM Post #15 of 18
Yup,but then im back to not being able to utilize my GOTL,nor my vintage receivers. The only amp I have for low ohm headphones is the R2R-11,but thats getting moved to my den system where it will be used strictly as an DAC,feeding a vintage receiver/speaker setup.

I have two DACs incoming,one has a built-in headamp,the other does not. The plan is to keep one and flip the other.

The GOTL just brings so much more staging,layering,detail and impact to the equation that its hard,once heard,to go back to a lesser amp.
Sounds like you need a solid non-OTL tube amp like a Kenzie or Taboo or something... :-D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back