HD800s stock cable too long. Looking for aftermarket cable that uses stock connectors.
Sep 29, 2021 at 3:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

rjb1101

New Head-Fier
I recently bought a pair of HD800s. I like them a lot, but the stock cables are way too long.

The build quality of the cable seems good. I’m worried about 3rd party cables having crap connectors to the headphones themselves.

Where can I find an aftermarket cable that has:
  1. Low to no microphonics
  2. Stock HD800s to ear cup connectors or better quality
  3. The same or better build quality as the stock cable

I’m leaning towards the Cardas clear light, but would like to find other options that better fit my criteria.

Sep 29, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #2 of 22
I bought a custom cable from Audiophile Ninja. It cost me about $110 for a 4 ft HD800S cable terminated in 4.4mm balanced. The website says sold out, but email Jeremy to see if he has any HD800S connectors available.

If you want to spend more for a cable, go for it. If you want a well built for a good price, get it from Audiophile Ninja. I've bought more than 10 cables from Jeremy and I love them.

The good thing about getting them at this price is you can get custom lengths to meet all of your use cases. I use the 4.4mm for portable use with my DAPs and 5 foot cables with 4 pin XLR for my desktop use.

Sep 29, 2021 at 5:32 PM Post #3 of 22
Buy some premium black Velcro and loop some of the excess. I reterminated a stock HD800 cable with XLR and left the length as is even though I mostly sit at arms length from the amp.

Sep 29, 2021 at 5:34 PM Post #4 of 22
I bought a custom cable from Audiophile Ninja. It cost me about $110 for a 4 ft HD800S cable terminated in 4.4mm balanced. The website says sold out, but email Jeremy to see if he has any HD800S connectors available.

If you want to spend more for a cable, go for it. If you want a well built for a good price, get it from Audiophile Ninja. I've bought more than 10 cables from Jeremy and I love them.

The good thing about getting them at this price is you can get custom lengths to meet all of your use cases. I use the 4.4mm for portable use with my DAPs and 5 foot cables with 4 pin XLR for my desktop use.
I’m glad the connectors from audiophile ninja work well. I read in a forum that a pair of the connectors from sennheiser is $80, so assumed that cables less than $200 wouldn’t have quality connectors.

Thank you for the help.

Sep 29, 2021 at 6:15 PM Post #5 of 22
I’m glad the connectors from audiophile ninja work well. I read in a forum that a pair of the connectors from sennheiser is $80, so assumed that cables less than $200 wouldn’t have quality connectors.

Thank you for the help.
Actually, of all the cables I got from Audiophile Ninja, the HD800S connectors were the worst. The others were fine like for Utopia, Hifiman, HD600/650. If connector quality is important to you, I would go with the Sennheiser connectors.

Sep 30, 2021 at 11:14 AM Post #9 of 22
Where can I get a cable that is 5-6 ft with the sennheiser connectors?
You might find you can fill your need with Moon Audio products. They use Furutech connectors that, in my opinion, exceed the Sennheiser. Been using some ADL cables on my HD800 with those connectors for six years and loving them. Not a cheap solution but they are a final solution. When the ADL cable is retired (seems it won't die) I will be going Moon Audio as I have their cables for my Stellia and Utopia plus serval adapters and all are excellent. A satisfied customer with no other interest in M A.

Sep 30, 2021 at 11:31 AM Post #10 of 22
Sep 30, 2021 at 12:31 PM Post #12 of 22
Sep 30, 2021 at 1:23 PM Post #13 of 22
You might find you can fill your need with Moon Audio products. They use Furutech connectors that, in my opinion, exceed the Sennheiser. Been using some ADL cables on my HD800 with those connectors for six years and loving them. Not a cheap solution but they are a final solution. When the ADL cable is retired (seems it won't die) I will be going Moon Audio as I have their cables for my Stellia and Utopia plus serval adapters and all are excellent. A satisfied customer with no other interest in M A.
How are the microphonics on MA cables? Do they sell sleeved cables at all?

Sep 30, 2021 at 1:42 PM Post #15 of 22
I like the hart modular system in theory, but having that mini xlr in the middle of the cable isn’t very convenient.

You can also get the mini-xlr at the L/R split, that's always felt more natural to me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back