HD800S and ragnarok Bass distortion Help!
Feb 7, 2016 at 12:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Saad Abdul Aziz

Head-Fier
hi i just got the hd800s and have abit of a question if you play this video at ragnarok 12-1 oclock knob 3rd gain does your bass distort with 100 percent volume on windows
 around 40 seconds onwards just giving link for exact reference where the bass plays 

let me know please wanna check if its just my specific model or a normal thing cause i felt my previous hd800 did not at the same volume but i feel theres more bass at lower volume maybe thats the reason if you could check that would be great thanks

Feb 8, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #4 of 17
Have you checked to make sure your s/w player isn't clipping as well?

I usually don't run in gain mode-3, I use gain -2 and run the volume knob up to 3:00.
Which is roughly equivalent to gain-3 at ≈ 1:30

I hear no clipping, as long as my s/w doesn't clip.

And I'm adding ≈15+ dB at the very low end (15Hz and up)

JJ

Feb 8, 2016 at 10:32 PM Post #5 of 17
Have you checked to make sure your s/w player isn't clipping as well?

I usually don't run in gain mode-3, I use gain -2 and run the volume knob up to 3:00.
Which is roughly equivalent to gain-3 at ≈ 1:30

I hear no clipping, as long as my s/w doesn't clip.

And I'm adding ≈15+ dB at the very low end (15Hz and up)

JJ

am not talking about clipping but distorted bass likes it distorted understand?  at gain 2 and volume knob to 3:00  its massively distorted XD

Feb 8, 2016 at 11:50 PM Post #8 of 17
 I'm adding ≈15+ dB at the very low end (15Hz and up)

If you remove that addition, does it still distort? EQ'ing up a lot in one frequency will likely cause clipping in the digital domain.

Feb 9, 2016 at 12:06 AM Post #9 of 17
This is the waveform of the audio track, which is already close to -0 dB. It's obvious increasing the bass by 15dB is causing it to clip.

Feb 9, 2016 at 12:30 AM Post #11 of 17
Sorry about that! 
smile.gif

Feb 9, 2016 at 12:53 AM Post #12 of 17
This is the waveform of the audio track, which is already close to -0 dB. It's obvious increasing the bass by 15dB is causing it to clip.

Just looking at that track I see overload conditions.
I did try to download that file but there was a problem so I can't run it thru my system as a stand alone file.

So I played the track from youtube and it is in an ongoing state of clipping.
I can hear clipping 'artifacts' and the peak levels (not the average output levels) are 'saturated'.

This is one of those dance/electro tracks that are pushed to 100%+ modulation.
On really good gear (the Jggy) the clipping will be very obvious.

Try reducing the output of the player before it passes into the the rest of your system, or put up with the 'effect' that this 'hot' track delivers.

JJ

Feb 9, 2016 at 2:33 AM Post #13 of 17
i have the same thing happen at stole the show by kygo at the same volume 

anyways all tracks have similar results here is what i mean by distortion i guess am not using the write words

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_97N4qCg74

Feb 9, 2016 at 4:21 AM Post #14 of 17
If you lower the output from your player this will reduce the distortion because the song IS distorted.

It is very clear when you look at the graph that Currawong posted.

Do you see how the lighter blue portion of the 'volume' window 'flatlines' at the very top and bottom?

That means the dynamic peaks are at 100%.
This IS clipping.

When I played it from Youtube it clipped.

Again lower your playback volume on your player (browser or streamer etc.) by 1/3 to 1/4 and then listen again.

If the track wasn't recorded with it's peak dynamics at 100% (or greater) then the distortion should get Much better, if not go away, after you lower the output volume of your player.

JJ

Feb 14, 2016 at 7:43 AM Post #15 of 17
  Sorry about that! 
smile.gif

It was still
  i have the same thing happen at stole the show by kygo at the same volume 

anyways all tracks have similar results here is what i mean by distortion i guess am not using the write words

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_97N4qCg74

I've heard that on my HD800 when I drive it w/ my vintage pioneer receiver. It's too much of something so I would set the gain to 2 on the Rag and see if you can hear it at the same listening level.

I just got the Rag and will have the 800 S 2-3 weeks. I'll try it when I get it.

Also try to listen to the same song on spotify or apple music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back