HD800 vs HE500
Dec 30, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #331 of 1,025
I guess I haven't heard the HE-6 at it's pinnacle yet. Interesting, thought the Stingray would do the trick. Didn't hear it get any better after that, IMHO.

There's soooooo many speaker amps out there that we may never hear it at it's best. The best I ever heard was on a 8K amp by SimAudio.

I think it was this one:  http://www.simaudio.com/moon600i.htm

Dec 30, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #332 of 1,025
  ^ just my 2 cents here.  I personally don't think much of the HE-6 after listening to it on my Emotiva, Liquid Gold, Head Amp GS-X2 and the big Woo speaker amp.  I did compare HE-6 to HE-500 on all of these amps.  All these vendors were in 1 room and didn't mind letting me borrow the HE-6. Nice people.
My ears might not be audiophile quality but If I like what I heard on the HE-6, I would have bought it already instead of the HD800.  I do prefer the planar-dynamic sound over regular dynamic because I believe I can "feel" the music more on my ear drums with planars.

Let's just enjoy music with whatever HP we have and forget about which HP belong to which tier.  I don't have problem enjoying good music from a mono radio which I still have btw.  Peace out for the new year guys....
beerchug.gif

Isn't odd how so many people conflict over the same cans? Amp this amp that DAC a doodledoo. Doesn't one think that individual imaginations take part in these differences?

Dec 30, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #333 of 1,025
Listening to the HD800 right now on my WA22 and been switching back and forth between HE500 and HD800, it makes me wonder if the HE500 is sold for $1400 and the HE-6 is not there, would some of these notion/impression/evaluations still exist and hold true?  
Of course, it's easy to say "yes".

I guess my ears' scalability is not very high like some golden ears we have here.  
biggrin.gif

Dec 30, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #334 of 1,025
  Isn't odd how so many people conflict over the same cans? Amp this amp that DAC a doodledoo. Doesn't one think that individual imaginations take part in these differences?

and the price tag.  Don't forget the price tag.

Dec 30, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #335 of 1,025

and the price tag.  Don't forget the price tag.

Yes, I believe that imagination does have a price. And don't be disappointed if you feel that your ears lack that golden scalability, apply a little imagination and you can be right there, along with the best of them. Just say'in. 
wink_face.gif

Dec 30, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #336 of 1,025
Lol, lots of action in this thread all of a sudden.

I think I'll just wait for another ridiculous statement to be made before I state my position further >:)

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Dec 30, 2013 at 11:28 PM Post #337 of 1,025
Listening to the HD800 right now on my WA22 and been switching back and forth between HE500 and HD800, it makes me wonder if the HE500 is sold for $1400 and the HE-6 is not there, would some of these notion/impression/evaluations still exist and hold true?  
Of course, it's easy to say "yes".

I guess my ears' scalability is not very high like some golden ears we have here.  :D

No, they wouldn't. The mind says the HE-500 sounds $600 and $800 worse than the HD800 and the HE-6.

Guess what? That's not the case..

XD

I'm a realist, I call things out as I see them. And I think the hyperbole surrounding the HE-6 and the HD800 being miles ahead of the HE-500 is pathetic, and I'm not even a fanboy! Just trying to find my aural nirvana and be a skeptic along the way! Lol.

Dec 30, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #338 of 1,025

I think I'll just wait for another ridiculous statement to be made before I state my position further >
smily_headphones1.gif

OK.....so I got this new amp and the resolution is so good that I can hear voices in my headphones. 
blink.gif
 They scale well, I think they're in A minor.

Dec 30, 2013 at 11:39 PM Post #339 of 1,025
No, they wouldn't. The mind says the HE-500 sounds $600 and $800 worse than the HD800 and the HE-6.

Guess what? That's not the case..

XD

I'm a realist, I call things out as I see them. And I think the hyperbole surrounding the HE-6 and the HD800 being miles ahead of the HE-500 is pathetic, and I'm not even a fanboy! Just trying to find my aural nirvana and be a skeptic along the way! Lol.

Yes that's a fair sense of reality. At one point the level of performance reaches a certain point that any increases follow the "Law of Diminshing Returns." And yet so many get overexcited by price tags and rhetoric, but not as excited as the manufacturers that reap the benefits of this excitement, Call it hyperbole or overactive imaginations and parroting, the frenzy keeps some folks excited and the cash flowing. I am happy to see that no tempers have flared in this thread, although if we mention cables all bets are off. 
eek.gif

Dec 30, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #340 of 1,025

I think I'll just wait for another ridiculous statement to be made before I state my position further >
smily_headphones1.gif

@koiloco, take the honor and mention the Emotiva + HD800 vs WA22 + HD800.

That Amazon $890 HD800 sale was a sham and we all got broken HD800's. But it's broken in a good way!
wink.gif
Oh where are you sibilance?

Dec 30, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #341 of 1,025
  Yes that's a fair sense of reality. At one point the level of performance reaches a certain point that any increases follow the "Law of Diminshing Returns." And yet so many get overexcited by price tags and rhetoric, but not as excited as the manufacturers that reap the benefits of this excitement, Call it hyperbole or overactive imaginations and parroting, the frenzy keeps some folks excited and the cash flowing. I am happy to see that no tempers have flared in this thread, although if we mention cables all bets are off. 
eek.gif

I also think that some of us are so accustomed to TOTL cans, that we tend to exaggerate differences. Is the HE-6 and HD-800 "miles ahead"? No, but they are the better headphones.

To be completely honest anyways, TOTL headphones are a huge disappointment to even some of the most basic speakers that it's embarrassing.

Dec 30, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #342 of 1,025

@koiloco, take the honor and mention the Emotiva + HD800 vs WA22 + HD800.

That Amazon $890 HD800 sale was a sham and we all got broken HD800's. But it's broken in a good way!
wink.gif
Oh where are you sibilance?

Oh brother, I've said enough today.  You do it better than I do anyway.  You go!  I am not "NOT" hearing things, right? (with the Emotiva and your new HD800)

Dec 31, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #343 of 1,025
  Oh brother, I've said enough today.  You do it better than I do anyway.  You go!  I am not "NOT" hearing things, right? (with the Emotiva and your new HD800)

Lol nope. It's too dangerous a statement haha.
biggrin.gif

Confirm this by A/Bing with Jing's HD800 on everything we've discovered today (lack of treble and sibilance issues, how it sounds on Emotiva). If it still holds up and is not some new toy/owner bias, then make an official statement on here.

Dec 31, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #344 of 1,025
I have to give the HD800's back tomorrow, unfortunately. Thankfully my article is done and ready for tomorrow. Oh, Head-Fi... 
darthsmile.gif

Dec 31, 2013 at 12:45 AM Post #345 of 1,025
  What about the variances in everyones tuned ports that are commonly called ears? 
blink.gif

That's a whole different realm lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back