HD800 vs HE500
Oct 30, 2012 at 1:14 AM Post #16 of 1,025
Quote:

IMO they both need an amp the will smooth out the treble.

With my AudioNote DAC 3.1x and the OTL WA 2 my HD800 has found the ideal partners.

There may be other alternatives, but really if the fantanstic soundstage and resolution of the HD800 joins the naturalness and tone delicacy that adds the system the sound is very close to be perfect for my taste.

Anyway being difficult to understand when we have systems of thousands of dollars / euros, the most important is recording. The final quality is already marked from the beginning..

Oct 30, 2012 at 7:28 AM Post #17 of 1,025
Quote:
With my AudioNote DAC 3.1x and the OTL WA 2 my HD800 has found the ideal partners.

There may be other alternatives, but really if the fantanstic soundstage and resolution of the HD800 joins the naturalness and tone delicacy that adds the system the sound is very close to be perfect for my taste.

Anyway being difficult to understand when we have systems of thousands of dollars / euros, the most important is recording. The final quality is already marked from the beginning..

Oh yeah a AN 3.1 user.  I really want to hear one of these Happy Camper and I are really thinking about making the move to the 2.1 or the 3.1 kits.

Oct 30, 2012 at 7:30 AM Post #18 of 1,025
Quote:
 The 800s have all the bass the HE have.

blink.gif

Is this while on the Single Power?  

Oct 30, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #20 of 1,025
The HD800 are in a different league when fed with a good signal. The HE500 are more forgiving of gear and recordings though.

Oct 30, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #22 of 1,025
Oh yeah a AN 3.1 user.  I really want to hear one of these Happy Camper and I are really thinking about making the move to the 2.1 or the 3.1 kits.
I'm only speculating that this would be a good match with SS amps for the hyper detailed headphones. For the $2k budget, this is a tempting option.

Oct 31, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #23 of 1,025
Quote:

If you come to Spain you and Happy Camper are invited to hear it...

My AN DAC is a model purchased a couple of years ago and super modified. It has Ixys diodes, Jansen and Black Gate capacitors ,a switch to choice  digital input, two outputs RCA direct -not de-emph one- internal HQ Sogon wires  -AN premium class cables- .I think that it is much closer to a DAC 5 that of a DAC 3.1x.It is far superior to a 3 original series...
I do not think that there is more than half a dozen in the world with this level of upgrade

My intention is to connect an amplifier for dynamic headphones and another for electrostatic to its two direct outputs. One of them is WA2 ..the second I dont know. Im looking for one...

Nov 17, 2012 at 5:53 AM Post #24 of 1,025
Just thought I would offer my view on HD800's,
I listen to  exclusivly rock/pop and with the 800's    coupled to Schiit Lyr and a pair of warm sounding tubes (6n1p's) even Lady Gaga sounds superb on very high listening levels.
These headphones you either love or not, I myself love them..
Paula

Nov 17, 2012 at 6:22 AM Post #25 of 1,025
No matter what HD800 have soundstage and image, the vocals are a little bit close than I would like and tones dont have that lively feeling, it is reason why I prefer top models orthos over HD800 but did not hear HE500. My opinion..

Nov 20, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #26 of 1,025
I have both (HD800 for about 2 and a half years, HE500 for about5-6 weeks) and I enjoy them both a lot,
but If I had to just stay with one it would be the HE500. When I go to listen, the I pick up the HE500s about 2-3 times as often as the Senns.
But let me see how I feel 6 months from now.
Comfort is about equal on both for me, so this is just about sonics.

Nov 20, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #27 of 1,025
I just put a PS Audio P5 Power Plant (with HF-Tuning fuse) into my system and must say it's done wonders with my SPL Phonitor and HD800. 
I thought the HD800 had already just about peaked..... WRONG!

Those that say the HD800 is bright really must have a hard look at everything that's in front of it - including the power coming out of the wall.
They aren't overly hard to drive, but they are very picky about what's driving them 
wink.gif

"Welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your wallet..."  fully applies here!

Nov 20, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #28 of 1,025
Quote:
I just put a PS Audio P5 Power Plant (with HF-Tuning fuse) into my system and must say it's done wonders with my SPL Phonitor and HD800. 

Those that say the HD800 is bright really must have a hard look at everything that's in front of it - including the power coming out of the wall.
They aren't overly hard to drive, but they are very picky about what's driving them 
wink.gif

"Welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your wallet..."  fully applies here!

Yep, power conditioning really made a difference for me too. I use a Shunyata Triton. The Vray II was also nice, but the Triton is very evident on the highs, making them more liquid and sweeter.

Nov 21, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #29 of 1,025
Quote:

I had the same feeling when I recently swapped a Panamax conditioner for a PS Audio P5.
Sound became more focused and immediate. I'm enjoying my system much more now.
Thanks again to Chris at PartsConnexion for talking me into one.
beyersmile.png

Nov 22, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #30 of 1,025
I just don't buy alot of this "power" stuff. You guys realize that you have meters of 14AWG stapled to 2x4s on the inside of your walls right? I should sell "Audiophile Breakers" could be rich.......
The 800s have a massive impedance swing (from 650 to 350 ohms), and have a very sharp leading edge of a square wave. They are just a bright headphone... even with a nice linear amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back