HD800 to HD650 Sound Signature Conversion + Dolby Headphone - Comment & Discuss!
Mar 20, 2014 at 8:48 AM Post #16 of 26

Except the Beyerdynamic T1 has a WAY worse peak at 6-10khz.

HD800:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD800.pdf

T1:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/BeyerdynamicT1.pdf

I would not say that this is an issue because of a ring driver.

Really now, and what would you then say the T1 driver looks like?
rolleyes.gif

May 5, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #20 of 26
I'm not so sure that the 6-10k peaky-ness has to do with the actual driver itself.
The Anax mod group (Purrin, Arnoud, Analixus) seem to think it is the 'room-modes' inside the cup. That can easily apply to T1 as well, as the cup size has comparable inner dimensions.

Really now, and what would you then say the T1 driver looks like?
rolleyes.gif

May 5, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #21 of 26
TwoEars have you used TB Isone plugin in pure cross-fade setup (i personally couldn't adapt to the hrtf thing)?
It makes so many pure stereo recordings easier on ears and also due to diffuse field corrections takes off some hi-freq gain.

May 7, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #23 of 26
  I'm not so sure that the 6-10k peaky-ness has to do with the actual driver itself.
The Anax mod group (Purrin, Arnoud, Analixus) seem to think it is the 'room-modes' inside the cup. That can easily apply to T1 as well, as the cup size has comparable inner dimensions.

There can definitely be something to that. But I personally also think it has more to do with the fact that both the HD800 and T1 driver has this hole in the middle. I know the internal configuration of the T1 is not a "true ringdriver", but the layout is exactly the same. I think there might be some resonans that happens inside that layout and the tests done by the blog I linked seem to confirm it.

TwoEars have you used TB Isone plugin in pure cross-fade setup (i personally couldn't adapt to the hrtf thing)?
It makes so many pure stereo recordings easier on ears and also due to diffuse field corrections takes off some hi-freq gain.

I have not, I might give it a go. There was another one, redline reverb I think it was called? I might give that a go just for fun. I think they have a demo version.

Is there a way to implement this in normal Foobar and set an off-on switch so to speak... so I can easily compare normal sound to yours?

Sure, just go in under prefererences and add or remove the DSP. Foobar can be a bit temperamental however. I recommed making back-ups of the entire foobar folder. It's not always the DSP's load in the way you disabled them.

On a personal note I'm not using the Dolby Plugin anymore, but I am using the channel mixer and electri-Q equalizer. Although I'm not using this exact config anymore either. When you change gear in your system the need for EQ'ing changes a little bit as well. I might look at updating this if people are interested, but overall interest has been pretty mellow so far. It was a fun experiment for me anyway so I don't mind.

May 9, 2014 at 1:38 AM Post #24 of 26
I've looked at EQ a little bit myself, primarily with Foobar's EQ app. My own efforts at EQing are not that good. Bass increases a bit but the songs sound veiled (and in some tracks, very veiled). Hmmm.

May 9, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #25 of 26
Software offers possibilities to emulate almost anything, but ultimately for critical listening i prefer pure signal with HD800, perhaps only up-sampled. 
I feel too, like every EQ i have used, including some of most highly regarded ones take away some transparency, not an issue for casual listening though.

Dec 30, 2014 at 10:44 PM Post #26 of 26
I'm fairly new to high-end gear, I just bought a HD800 and Cambridge Audio DACMagic Plus.  I have way over 4000 hours on my trusty old HD515, which were "good" for every day use... or at least I thought so until now.  I've had the chance to listen to a few high-end reference phones years ago but never paid any attention, they lacked feeling and felt uncomfortable.

Worked in the HD800's for about 24 hours, and I was getting worried that the harshness would make listening a headache... there has been noticeable improvements since first setting them up but I was starting to get buyers remorse... I randomly discovered TwoEars' foobar2000 setup, plus adding a +3db bass boost at 125Hz cross-over via the DACMagic windows driver...  simply amazing. Best audio I've ever heard.  My jaw is on the floor.  The detail and soundstage is simply incredible, and the bass is now responsive and feels powerful and super detailed but not overbearing, and the harshness of the 6k-8k oversensitivity of the HD800's is not at all noticeable any longer.  

My opinion  as an amateur - this mod dramatically improves the HD800's personality.

EDIT 2015-02-10--------

Ok so now after owning the HD800 for almost 2 months (with daily use 2-8 hours) I have a different opinion.  Maybe it is a result of more burn-in and/or getting accustomed to the cans.  I personally feel that the dolby headphone DSP component in this configuration severely detracts from the quality of the audio.  Also I came to realize that the "base boost" in the drivers don't affect the audio from foobar since obviously WASAPI mode bypasses the operating system mixer (durrr I'm special
blink.gif
).

So now my foobar DSP setup only includes the Electri-Q equalizer with a -2dB reduction around 6kHz and a +3dB boost at 50Hz.  Much improved clarity, detail, separation, and staging in comparison to this HD600 DSP config, while maintaining an acceptable level of punch to the bass.  The current config isn't as gentle to poor quality mixing in the source audio though.  I guess that the HD800s need a lot of burn-in time to start shining. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back