HD800 Street Price
Jun 28, 2009 at 3:42 PM Post #46 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe when the price drops you can get a pair that dont have first run problems like people are having now.

my first run "problem" is that my 600 and 650 are now obsolete.

Jun 28, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #47 of 90
>>There is no such thing as Manufacture Mandatory Retail Price, guess that would make it illegal.

Sony has done it for years with the various Playstation modules. There is no way to get PS cheaper until such time as Sony decides to reduce the msrp (usually just before the introduction of the next Roman numeral iteration). The manufacturer controls inventory - if a reseller doesn't play by the rules, they don't get more product.

Jun 28, 2009 at 5:10 PM Post #48 of 90
But then, retailers can't really make the PS3 any cheaper because there is (almost?) no profit margin.

Jun 28, 2009 at 6:58 PM Post #50 of 90
The price won't ever drop if people really want them and are willing to pay that high price. Once sales drop to miserable rates because people refuse to pay the price tag, then prices will start coming down. Right now, people who can't afford it are willing to save up for months and pay Sennheiser instead of rent money. So the prices will remain high for now.

Jun 28, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #52 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by murphyb74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
>>There is no such thing as Manufacture Mandatory Retail Price, guess that would make it illegal.

Sony has done it for years with the various Playstation modules. There is no way to get PS cheaper until such time as Sony decides to reduce the msrp (usually just before the introduction of the next Roman numeral iteration). The manufacturer controls inventory - if a reseller doesn't play by the rules, they don't get more product.

Yes, fixed prices exist, and you just described how it works, you sell something cheaper than you agreed to sell it, and you loose your account with said vendor or you receive no inventory. Nothing illegal about that. This is standard procedure for a lot of new products and the manufacturer gets to decide when the prices relax.

Jun 28, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #53 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by helicon1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
um why is the d7000 going for $535 when the MSRP is $1000?

It's probably reasonable to assume, then, that Denon is not strictly enforcing the MSRP for the d7000, right?

We've heard from the outset from dealers that Senn will be very strict with its distributors with respect to the HD 800. We'll see just how much it can get away with on a region-by-region basis.

Jun 28, 2009 at 7:42 PM Post #54 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, fixed prices exist, and you just described how it works, you sell something cheaper than you agreed to sell it, and you loose your account with said vendor or you receive no inventory. Nothing illegal about that. This is standard procedure for a lot of new products and the manufacturer gets to decide when the prices relax.

Yes and no. Pre-Leegin, resale price maintenance agreements were per se unlawful. However, what you are alluding to is known as the Colgate doctrine, which basically holds that a company can do business--or not do business--with whomever it pleases. Thus, if a distributor doesn't toe the line, then a manufacturer could generally cut it off without raising significant antitrust issues. However, problems arise when the manufacturer allows the non-conforming distributor back into the fold once it agrees to observe the minimum resale price. Generally speaking, that is an agreement to fix prices, and per se unlawful prior to 2007. Accordingly, careful manufacturers were well-advised to make a very clean and clear cut with non-observant distributors.

Fast forward a bit now and the whole landscape has changed. Resale Price Maintenance is no longer per se unlawful. But that does not mean it is always legal. It means that RPM is now viewed under a rule of reason analysis. Where that leaves us, no one knows. FTC doesn't like it; the attorneys general do not like it. And if a manufacturer has sufficient market power (or a few other factors are present), then RPM likely will still be found to be illegal. But there is no longer a line in the sand, and it would appear that Senn is taking full advantage of the current confusion.

Jun 28, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #55 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by django /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MDC Canada is selling HD-800s for $1400 CANADIAN - that's $1214 US. Mine finally arrived on Friday. Don't know how much customs/shipping fo US customers, but that's a great price for Canadians.

The website:
Sennheser HD800

Nice price, let's see how long it will take to get under $1K.

Jun 28, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #56 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice price, let's see how long it will take to get under $1K.

I think the more immediate question is, let's see how long MDC remains a distributor.

Jun 29, 2009 at 5:55 AM Post #57 of 90
Quote:

MDC Canada is selling HD-800s for $1400 CANADIAN - that's $1214 US. Mine finally arrived on Friday. Don't know how much customs/shipping fo US customers, but that's a great price for Canadians.

The website:
Sennheser HD800

Django...Welcome to Headfi and sorry for your wallet
smily_headphones1.gif

Sorry for MDH too.

I think that a company selling HD800 at below MRSP is at risk for losing its contract with Sennheiser. The Senns folks have watchful eyes.....Good thing you have your HD 800 already.

Jun 29, 2009 at 5:59 AM Post #58 of 90
Quote:

The website:
Sennheser HD800

But are they selling outside their sales territory when they ship to the United States? That would raise issues in addition to meeting MSRP.

Considering shipping and customs, it's probably only a small premium to buy from a US distributor. Besides, I wanted HeadRoom to get my sale.

Jun 29, 2009 at 6:04 AM Post #59 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But are they selling outside their sales territory when they ship to the United States? That would raise issues in addition to meeting MSRP.

My best guess is that, yes, MDC's shipping into the U.S. would violate their agreement, if any, but of course that's speculation. What we do know is that Senn is being very strict with respect to US based distributors shipping overseas. Simply put, Senn says it won't allow it, at least as I understand it. Finally, I would think that Senn's US-based distributors will quickly report MDC to Senn.

Jun 29, 2009 at 6:08 AM Post #60 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes and no. Pre-Leegin, resale price maintenance agreements were per se unlawful. However, what you are alluding to is known as the Colgate doctrine, which basically holds that a company can do business--or not do business--with whomever it pleases. Thus, if a distributor doesn't toe the line, then a manufacturer could generally cut it off without raising significant antitrust issues. However, problems arise when the manufacturer allows the non-conforming distributor back into the fold once it agrees to observe the minimum resale price. Generally speaking, that is an agreement to fix prices, and per se unlawful prior to 2007. Accordingly, careful manufacturers were well-advised to make a very clean and clear cut with non-observant distributors.

Fast forward a bit now and the whole landscape has changed. Resale Price Maintenance is no longer per se unlawful. But that does not mean it is always legal. It means that RPM is now viewed under a rule of reason analysis. Where that leaves us, no one knows. FTC doesn't like it; the attorneys general do not like it. And if a manufacturer has sufficient market power (or a few other factors are present), then RPM likely will still be found to be illegal. But there is no longer a line in the sand, and it would appear that Senn is taking full advantage of the current confusion.

I did retail for 14 years, manufacturer set prices is SOP. I have even seen a store loose an account for undercutting MSRP and have to order inventory through other stores in the same chain. This has been going on forever. All that is required is product that sells itself and that is usually synonymous with "new" stuff. Recite legalities until you grow old, it happens every single day here in the US. Once the "new" wears off, The manufacturer will drop prices and in turn allow retailers to sell at a lower price. Sometimes the manufacturer will cut a check to lower the price of inventory already in stock so retailers can go with the lower price immediately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back