HD800 Story Telling Time - *Warning* Prepare thyself, not for the faint of heart - (You've been warned!)
Jan 15, 2015 at 8:17 PM Post #346 of 359

Hahaha, I was thinking they put the headphones into a dresser drawer or desk drawer when storing them after each use, and unbeknownst to them a small rodent may have climbed into the drawer, got stuck and died, then decomposed and imparted their "fragrance" to the headphones

Anything is possible... it was funny when people kept asking if there was a dead mouse in the HD800 box.  To try and debunk this, I grew up on a large "acreage" that had tons of wildlife.  Many a times, rodents got caught in our air conditioning unit, and I had to "sort it out".  I have smelled my fair share of unpleasant things, and this smell not a tad bit like rodent.  In case you don't trust me noser, I rely on it daily for my job.  I taste wine, whisk(e)y, beer, and create craft cocktails on a daily basis.  Currently, my head bartender and I are creating our second batch of barrel aged gin. 

Mar 11, 2015 at 7:25 AM Post #347 of 359
Got me a used HD700 some weeks ago. I opened the box and got in contact with a very heavy scent of stink that was unbelievable like in your case. It was not from smoke it was far more and I could not put them on. I no cold smoke stink by heart because both of my parents smoked around the apartment when I was young. I disassembled the headphone and treated all parts with an EM solution and let it work overnight. Next morning the stink was 80% gone. The following night it was @ 100% gone. Only the slight smell of th EM solution remained. That was gone a day later. I confronted the seller with this and he explained that the cans have been store on a headpone stand next to his pipes for two years. As he sold them he gave them a thorough wipe with a wet cloth and put them into their original box, in a slightly wet status. So the pipe smoke and the wetness inside the foam storage married and created an unforgettable olfactoric sensation!

Mar 25, 2015 at 12:26 AM Post #349 of 359
Got me a used HD700 some weeks ago. I opened the box and got in contact with a very heavy scent of stink that was unbelievable like in your case. It was not from smoke it was far more and I could not put them on. I no cold smoke stink by heart because both of my parents smoked around the apartment when I was young. I disassembled the headphone and treated all parts with an EM solution and let it work overnight. Next morning the stink was 80% gone. The following night it was @ 100% gone. Only the slight smell of th EM solution remained. That was gone a day later. I confronted the seller with this and he explained that the cans have been store on a headpone stand next to his pipes for two years. As he sold them he gave them a thorough wipe with a wet cloth and put them into their original box, in a slightly wet status. So the pipe smoke and the wetness inside the foam storage married and created an unforgettable olfactoric sensation!

Goodness... I smoke pipe, but I always shower between hobbies. That does not seem very pleasant! How do you like the hd700s besides the scent?

Mar 29, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #350 of 359
The HD700 is more of a fun can than the HD650. For acoustical musik it is my preferred can. For Rock the treble can be to hot at times. The comfort is stellar, a lot like the HD800.
My next project is now to find a stinky HD800.
Cheers

Peter

Feb 19, 2016 at 4:33 AM Post #351 of 359
Just wanting to thank you for writing up this funny piece of a story! One day I'll find my end game gear like you did!

Apr 14, 2019 at 3:38 PM Post #352 of 359
GOOD LAWD :xf_eek:

giphy.gif

Apr 14, 2019 at 6:27 PM Post #353 of 359
So the guy was so desperate for an HD800 that he willingly payed $1,500 for one that had a horrific smell. Jesus!! Not a story I would want to share!!

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2019 at 11:05 PM Post #354 of 359
well... any desire I had to buy used headphones is now gone... thanx bye..

funny but gross af..

also I don't think he paid $1500 but significantly less, but in this case not enough less to be worth it imho... grossness was probably all in the drivers as well.. nope nope nope.. NOPE..

Apr 15, 2019 at 4:28 AM Post #356 of 359
Did you real the whole story? lol
There is a difference between bad smell and possibly smell of "death" literally
giphy.gif
Lol yeah I read all 4 posts of the story. I'm wishing I hadn't read it though, found it quite disturbing.

Apr 15, 2019 at 10:01 AM Post #357 of 359
So the guy was so desperate for an HD800 that he willingly payed $1,500 for one that had a horrific smell. Jesus!! Not a story I would want to share!!
It's a pretty old one So for the price it was at the time its a good deal, he also seems to be more interested about the story and mystery it may have rather than purely the headphone.

Cadaver's smell eh. I used to med student so I know how they smell, it's that one smell you can never get used to, and would be surprised to find it on anything else but a dead body really.. That's why it makes for an interesting story isn't it

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2019 at 4:58 PM Post #358 of 359
It's a pretty old one So for the price it was at the time its a good deal, he also seems to be more interested about the story and mystery it may have rather than purely the headphone.

Cadaver's smell eh. I used to med student so I know how they smell, it's that one smell you can never get used to, and would be surprised to find it on anything else but a dead body really.. That's why it makes for an interesting story isn't it

I have never been on the edge of my seat more than to read those 4 posts on here haha, and the theories of the smell. Ofc it adds to the story his sense of smell is of professional grade standard for his job. I can imagine him sniffing them like he would a fine whisky. I shouldn't laugh as i have given used cans a sniff test , but i usually get new pads or wash them heavily like 3x in detergent and wipe down with alcohol . Such is life when lusting vintages.

The theory I feel is most likely is the dead mouse one. I remember at a relatives house it died in the vents somewhere. And well I can also compare it to smell of death.

Lol yeah I read all 4 posts of the story. I'm wishing I hadn't read it though, found it quite disturbing.

There are a lot of strange musings on here, but they add to the strangeness of the hobby I guess. Good for a laugh, and also to remind oneself to be careful with used cans :D which scares me to death b/c i like many cans that are 30+ years old

But seems no true horror stories like you see with people who buy real human hair wigs, that were once on corpses.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2019 at 5:52 PM Post #359 of 359
The original HD800 has a funny smell from new. It smells like an exotic tobacco smell to me. I have read various threads over the years on different forums where owners mentioned this. Mine still has that smell since new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back