HD800 setup on a $2k budget?
Jun 26, 2014 at 8:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Jazic

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm considering a used pair for around $1000-1100 and a DAC/Amp stack or combo with the rest and/or cables.

I've checked considered a few amps and days and will likely go with the Lyr/Bifrost Uber via USB or just stick with optical out.

I mostly listen to metal and rock and while I know there are other and better cans for this genre I prefer detail and soundstage over the other end game cans. I listen to all types of music and often enjoy gaming.

Probably the number one most important thing to me overall is comfort. I have a big head and senn seems to fit me best.

I'm hoping to blow through some serious (to me anyways) cash and end up with a good setup.

I've tried posting in a few places, emailing schiit and on /r/headphones with little luck. Hopefully I'll get some input and nobody minds a few dumb questions and brain picking.

Thanks in advance guys. All advice and information is much appreciated.

Jun 26, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #2 of 16
I'm considering a used pair for around $1000-1100 and a DAC/Amp stack or combo with the rest and/or cables.

I've checked considered a few amps and days and will likely go with the Lyr/Bifrost Uber via USB or just stick with optical out.

I mostly listen to metal and rock and while I know there are other and better cans for this genre I prefer detail and soundstage over the other end game cans. I listen to all types of music and often enjoy gaming.

Probably the number one most important thing to me overall is comfort. I have a big head and senn seems to fit me best.

I'm hoping to blow through some serious (to me anyways) cash and end up with a good setup.

I've tried posting in a few places, emailing schiit and on /r/headphones with little luck. Hopefully I'll get some input and nobody minds a few dumb questions and brain picking.

Thanks in advance guys. All advice and information is much appreciated.

1, dont wast your money on cables, especially with your budget. 
2, I think Woo offers an amp that works well with HD800 very well and is still within your budget. I am partial to the DNA Sonett, I think that it meets your budget and is sooooo code to TOTL amps that its almost not fair that its not in this forum. 
3, I cannot chime in on DAC qu.I used to have the PS Audio Dliii and I would recommend it, but it is hard to find now. Other stuff I have experience with is does not fit your criteria. 
good luck! 

Jun 26, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #3 of 16
1, dont wast your money on cables, especially with your budget. 
2, I think Woo offers an amp that works well with HD800 very well and is still within your budget. I am partial to the DNA Sonett, I think that it meets your budget and is sooooo code to TOTL amps that its almost not fair that its not in this forum. 
3, I cannot chime in on DAC qu.I used to have the PS Audio Dliii and I would recommend it, but it is hard to find now. Other stuff I have experience with is does not fit your criteria. 
good luck! 

Which Woo are you referring to? WA7 Firefly?

Jun 26, 2014 at 10:19 PM Post #4 of 16
Which Woo are you referring to? WA7 Firefly?

As a WA7 owner, it wouldn't be my first recommendation if your budget is $1000. A fully upgraded WA7 (with the WA7tp tube PSU and upgraded tubes on both the WA7 and the WA7tp) does indeed sound very good with the HD800, but it I would place the final cost at $1500 rather than $1000...not to mention the DAC. The WA7's internal DAC is only so-so, and begs to be upgraded. Quite a few WA7 owners don't use the internal DAC if that says anything.

Jun 26, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #5 of 16
As a WA7 owner, it wouldn't be my first recommendation if your budget is $1000. A fully upgraded WA7 (with the WA7tp tube PSU and upgraded tubes on both the WA7 and the WA7tp) does indeed sound very good with the HD800, but it I would place the final cost at $1500 rather than $1000...not to mention the DAC. The WA7's internal DAC is only so-so, and begs to be upgraded. Quite a few WA7 owners don't use the internal DAC if that says anything.

Any other Woo amp that'd work? What about the schiit Lyr and bifrost? I'm not capped at $2k but initially that's all I have to work with. If I could upgrade that'd be fine.

Jun 27, 2014 at 1:30 AM Post #6 of 16
How about a Centrance M8?

That, or a Geek Out + Valhalla II (I haven't tried the Lyr).

An Oppo HA-1 will work well too.

Jun 27, 2014 at 6:35 AM Post #7 of 16

Is the Centrance M8 an amp as well? Powerful enough to handle the hd800? I really like the features on it.

I really dig the OPPO HA1 but the price is a little high. I'd have to be patient and hope for one to popup used.

Jun 27, 2014 at 8:06 AM Post #8 of 16

Is the Centrance M8 an amp as well? Powerful enough to handle the hd800? I really like the features on it.

I really dig the OPPO HA1 but the price is a little high. I'd have to be patient and hope for one to popup used.

I think the M8 does very well with my pair of HD-800s. Mine are modded (see Innerfidelity) and re-cabled but I was surprised at how wide the soundstage was with the balanced out (I haven't tried SE). If I didn't have the Hugo, I'd be using the M8 for transportable duties most of the time.

Jun 27, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #9 of 16
I think the M8 does very well with my pair of HD-800s. Mine are modded (see Innerfidelity) and re-cabled but I was surprised at how wide the soundstage was with the balanced out (I haven't tried SE). If I didn't have the Hugo, I'd be using the M8 for transportable duties most of the time.

I got a chance to actually look at the features of the Oppo HA1 and holy cow that thing is loaded.

It's over my budget by quite a bit. Is it worth double what the M8 is? Altho if I get the HA1 that'd be my end game and I wouldn't have to worry about other amps, just getting some balanced cables would be left to do.

EDIT: On a side note how does Bluetooth sound in the HA1?

Jun 27, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #10 of 16

I got a chance to actually look at the features of the Oppo HA1 and holy cow that thing is loaded.

It's over my budget by quite a bit. Is it worth double what the M8 is? Altho if I get the HA1 that'd be my end game and I wouldn't have to worry about other amps, just getting some balanced cables would be left to do.

EDIT: On a side note how does Bluetooth sound in the HA1?

I need to put up my HA-1 video, but if you can use Bluetooth with APTX as my iMac can the sound is very good, but a bit behind a physical connection. It is rather like Youtube versus CD quality or better different. 

If you don't need the features of the HA-1 the M8 would be fine. The HA-1 is best suited to being the proverbial centrepiece of a home system IMO. 

Jun 29, 2014 at 9:14 PM Post #11 of 16

I think I may just got for a M8 new and use it as my main and as portable until I can get a better setup for home. I think it should hold me for a very long whole though. I hope to some day grab an all time be amp for some rolling.

Jun 30, 2014 at 9:47 AM Post #12 of 16
I think I've settled. I found a pair of HD800's that I will likely go with for around $1,000. I am still looking at Amp/Dacs but I keep coming back to the CEntrance Hifi M8. Price is right and it has tons of features that I can and will use. That puts me up to around $1,700. 

Now with the M8 I have the option for balanced out straight from digital. Are there any good suggestions and/or sources for a good priced balanced (4 pin xlr) cable?

I saw one on ebay, $150 from Hong Kong. Any experience with this cable?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-5M-8Ft-Upgrade-Cable-For-SENNHEISER-HD800-with-Balanced-XLR-4pins-CANNON-PLUG-/221219807298

Any other suggestions worth mentioning?

Thanks for all of the help!

Jun 30, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #13 of 16
I have the exact setup you first mentioned, HD800 with a Uber Bifrost and a Lyr and I love it. I do intend on upgrading the amp to a Woo Wa2 in the future but this is a fantastic sounding system for now.

Jul 4, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #14 of 16
Uber Bifrost + Valhalla 2 IMO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back