HD800 - Recomendations (Tube Maybe?) for an oldie in UK
Jun 11, 2013 at 8:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

SpudHarris

Headphoneus Supremus
Well, I haven't started one of these type threads for a long, long time but could honestly do with some help if anyone can spare a few minutes....

Having invested recently in the HD800's I realise that I have probably reached the end of the road for Headphones. I can't ever see me having enough cash to move up to Stax or the like so I'm drawing a line in the sand!

At the moment I am feeding them with the Headphone out of my M-Dac (to good effect) or Ifi iCan. Ideally want to move back into tubes, can anyone recommend something that has synergie with the HD800's. Ideally something available in UK....

I've read that the V200 solid state amp is a good match also and that's within my budget (£700-£1000)

I also have HE-6 and LCD-2 which I'd still like to keep but am willing to build around the HD800's if need be.

Any recommendations would be appreciated guys.

Thanks in advance - Nigel

Jun 11, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #2 of 13
Hi

I Know your doubts .... Take a look to the DNA SONETT 2

Jun 11, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #6 of 13
Cheers teddybro! Not even considered that but looks like a contender especially given the price. Kind of wish I'd held onto my WA6 now..... Had some magical holographic moments with that amp and my DT880's.

It's on my short list. Thanks again :)

Jun 11, 2013 at 8:18 PM Post #7 of 13
Harris, take a look at the Burson soloist. I liked it over the Vioelectric and Lehmann (german amps) a few weeks ago i went ahead and made an A/B comparison with some friends, the results were amazing. It is an engaging amp paired with the Sennhs. 

I have spent a lot of money on my current headphone rig, but i have plans to get an HD800 soon. 

One of the guys was decided to sell his old amp and buy the Burson. 

Jun 11, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #9 of 13
Loving myHD800's with the BHA-1 by Bryston.

Jun 12, 2013 at 5:21 AM Post #10 of 13
Thanks for the recommendations chaps, appreciated.... I am looking at them all (BHA-1 may be out of my price range though)

The more I read about Violetric the more I'm convincing myself that this may be the way to go. I won't pull the trigger till I'm 100% convinced but so far nobody is saying that it's a bad choice. Is the HPA V181 any less of an amp than the V200? Seems that you get balanced out for not much more money....

I'm not there yet so any help with further recommendations or advice will really be appreciated.

Thanks to all for input so far :)

Jun 12, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #11 of 13
Hi Nigel

Slightly off topic... Are you still on the supplied HD800 cables or have you upgraded them? Just curious, I just received my HD800 last week and am about to take the plunge to get custom ones.

Cheers!

Jun 12, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #12 of 13
Yeah, only got my HD800s last week so not upgraded yet. That will be one of the last pieces in the jigsaw. I'm a believer but have other upgrades to take care of 1st.

Anyone a fan of the Icon Audio HP8 with the HD800?

Jun 14, 2013 at 5:19 AM Post #13 of 13
OK, I have narrowed it down....

1. Icon Audio HPA8
  2. Little Dot MKVIII SE
  3. Woo Audio 6SE or WA2

The HPA8 and WA6SE are probably favourites at present because I still have some nice tubes left from my previous WA6 (6SN7)....

Any more recommendations or thoughts on the above?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back