HD800 pricing?
Sep 22, 2009 at 11:54 AM Post #16 of 35
Its funny, but I'm bored with the HD800 and I've never even heard the thing. Very few in Oz have. You cant buy them here - its like the so-called 'vapourware' of the software industry : the hype comes and goes, and there isnt a product to go with it. 7 months since the announcement here in Oz, and nothing.

Say what you will about Ultrasone/Grado/A-T etc: when they promote a signature headphone, they do so in the knowledge that they can actually deliver physical product. If this is a case of 'limited run' and they underestimated demand (while pumping the hype machine for months in advance...), its pretty clear that the Southern Hemisphere doesnt feature on any maps at Sennheiser HQ - I guess it really is the Flat Earth Society for some.

Sep 22, 2009 at 1:02 PM Post #17 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by ford2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are content with your HD800 well and good,but stop trying to ram them down everyone's throat as the greatest thing to occur on planet earth since the last ice age.

biggrin.gif

wink_face.gif

Sep 22, 2009 at 1:05 PM Post #18 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Say what you will about Ultrasone/Grado/A-T etc: when they promote a signature headphone, they do so in the knowledge that they can actually deliver physical product. If this is a case of 'limited run' and they underestimated demand (while pumping the hype machine for months in advance...), its pretty clear that the Southern Hemisphere doesnt feature on any maps at Sennheiser HQ - I guess it really is the Flat Earth Society for some.

I don't disagree but for me in the US it was MUCH more difficult to get Edition 8's and PS1K's (long waits and strings to pull to get them faster) and the HD800's have always been only a phone call away. I don't think anyone is worse at keep up with demand then Grado.

Sep 22, 2009 at 1:10 PM Post #19 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its funny, but I'm bored with the HD800 and I've never even heard the thing. Very few in Oz have. You cant buy them here - its like the so-called 'vapourware' of the software industry : the hype comes and goes, and there isnt a product to go with it. 7 months since the announcement here in Oz, and nothing.

Actually they've been out for a few weeks in Australia.

Sep 22, 2009 at 2:09 PM Post #20 of 35
Unfortunately, that's how Senn decide to do things differently. I live around Dallas and I can't find a place to demo it. I've called up few Senn dealers, and they made a few calls to Senn, but was told that HD800 is only carried by few limited dealers and are mostly online (ie. Amazon, AudioAdvisor, J&R, B&H, headroom....etc.). I'm somewhat disappointed because I can't demo it before I buy, so I'm trusting on all the reviews here on head-fi. So, that's how it is with the HD800. I don't think the price on it will ever drop since it's somewhat limited...

P.S: Made the purchase with headroom and is currently awaiting for my HD800 to arrive
biggrin.gif

Sep 22, 2009 at 2:21 PM Post #21 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think anyone is worse at keep up with demand then Grado.

Dr. Xin would beg to differ
tongue.gif

Sep 22, 2009 at 3:29 PM Post #22 of 35
Quote:

If you are content with your HD800 well and good,but stop trying to ram them down everyone's throat as the greatest thing to occur on planet earth since the last ice age.

biggrin.gif

Says the guy that has nothing better to do than to find every HD800 thread just to **** in them.

Sep 23, 2009 at 10:50 AM Post #23 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Born2bwire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Says the guy that has nothing better to do than to find every HD800 thread just to **** in them.

Thank you for your valued contribution to this thread.

Comparing my post count with yours its very easy to see just who has nothing better to do.

Sep 23, 2009 at 12:25 PM Post #24 of 35
GAZZA.
I'd like to know where you got that info from.
Syntec still don't have the HD800 on the Sennheiser Headphones section.
They do have them advertised, but that's all.
Syntec have them in storage awaiting enough arriving to satisfy the dealers all getting one to demo.
This is stop dealers complaining as to why some other dealer got one and they didn't.
You cannot buy one from any retailer in Australia.

Sep 23, 2009 at 12:40 PM Post #25 of 35
i guess my options are to either pay the inflated price or buy used, since, it appears, they are unlikely to come down

Sep 24, 2009 at 7:01 AM Post #27 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by lwd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can't demo them in London either. It's not just Australia that's not on the map!

Maybe they have a thing about Anglo-Saxons.

Sep 24, 2009 at 1:53 PM Post #28 of 35
If someone lives in Torino, Italy, a good place to have a listen to the HD-800 is called Stereo 1, in Corso Bramante.

I have been there yesterday, and it's the only local store of my knowledge which will let you try them. With your own CDs brought from home, too. Alas, they have them connected straight to the headphone jack of a Marantz CD/SACD player, so I feel I haven't heard all that the HD-800 could offer... actually I was a little disappointed.

But the store owner told me that if i want to, I can come back there with my own headphone amp (the Solo SRG) any time I want.

Good store, I have bought a player there a couple of years ago and they have a very relaxed attitude.

Sep 24, 2009 at 4:24 PM Post #29 of 35
Quote:

Thank you for your valued contribution to this thread.

Comparing my post count with yours its very easy to see just who has nothing better to do.

lol, what crawled up this kid's hole?

Anyhow, how long did the senn 650 retain it's retail price? I have a feeling it would be similar in terms of time frame with the hd800. The question is, when a markup does happen, will it be substantial due to the initial price of this headphone, or will it be around a hundred or so dollars at most?

Sep 24, 2009 at 9:37 PM Post #30 of 35
what markup?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back