HD800 pinout
Dec 1, 2009 at 4:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Picodeloro

New Head-Fier
Hi:

I want to make a balanced cable for a HD800 of a friend, but I don't know the pinout of the connectors of these headphones
frown.gif
frown.gif

HD800_C1.jpg

I don't know if the "pin 1" is signal and the "pin 2 " GND, or if the connector body is connected to GND
confused.gif

Can anyone help me?

-- o --
Rodrigo

Dec 1, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #2 of 17
I'm assuming from the picture that you have a stock cable. Why not just use a multimeter?

Dec 1, 2009 at 7:12 PM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by jantze /img/forum/go_quote.gif
#1 should be signal.

That's been my experience as well but Doug is right, just check the stock cable and be sure.

Dec 1, 2009 at 8:03 PM Post #5 of 17
I haven't the original cable (my friend live in other city), I made a photo of a HD800 connector that I bought in Lawton Audio.

I sent an email to Mark to order the connectors and asked for the pinout but he didn't answer. I think I have to ask my friend if he can send me the original cable
frown.gif

Thank you very much to all

-- o --
Rodrigo

Dec 2, 2009 at 11:23 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Picodeloro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't the original cable (my friend live in other city), I made a photo of a HD800 connector that I bought in Lawton Audio.

I sent an email to Mark to order the connectors and asked for the pinout but he didn't answer. I think I have to ask my friend if he can send me the original cable
frown.gif

Thank you very much to all

-- o --
Rodrigo

is there any news about it? i have same connectors from Lawton Audio and same problem.

Dec 3, 2009 at 1:10 AM Post #7 of 17
Buy or have your friend buy a $7 multimeter from harbor freight and test the connections. If he has 800s and a good balanced amp, that shouldn't be too much trouble to afford.

Dec 3, 2009 at 7:21 AM Post #9 of 17
The side of the plug with the protrusion is most definitely positive. The same goes for inner part that holds the pins. Enjoy soldering onto the tiny pins. By the way, I suggest getting the plugs from APuresound, as they are modified to make it easier to DIY. That being said, don't bother trying any wire thicker than 24.5 AWG (with the APS version of the plugs) as it wont fit.

Dec 7, 2009 at 11:12 AM Post #10 of 17
Thank you very much to everyone for the information, my friend sent me the original cable and next week I will make the balanced cable.

I don't knew that Apuresound sells these connectors.

-- o --
Rodrigo

Feb 22, 2010 at 1:59 PM Post #11 of 17
Wish I'd read this post earlier...

However, I've managed to squeeze in a pair of 26 AWG wires into the bottom of the connector - but it's incredibly tight and requires 'squishing' the cables a bit with a pair of pliers.

Feb 22, 2010 at 2:38 PM Post #12 of 17
Technically it does not matter which pin you wire to which as long as you are consistent on both drivers. Speakers are not polarized its just you want both speakers to be inphase with each other.

Feb 22, 2010 at 6:32 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
some people DO think absolute phase matters.

I'm not sure but I'll err on the side of 'yes, it could possibly matter'.

initial attack would push or 'pull' the transducer. so it could very well matter. some experts I've talked to (mr. linkwitz, I believe) said that abs. phase is relevant. I would trust him
wink.gif

I'd be surprised if Linkwitz said that. After all, have you looked at the crossovers he's designed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back