Hd800 or Planars for an edm lover
Aug 28, 2013 at 4:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

djcarpentier

500+ Head-Fier
I have read extensively between the types but am still unsure. Looking at the hd800 with the bottlehead crack or some hifimans. He-6 through speaker taps or he-500.

Anyone out there who is mainly a edm listner that has made this choice? Currently own and love the q701 thats being amped by a vintage sansui. The combination is steller. My window for the purchase is closing and need advice.

Thanks to all in advance.

Aug 28, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #3 of 18
Quote:
I have read extensively between the types but am still unsure. Looking at the hd800 with the bottlehead crack or some hifimans. He-6 through speaker taps or he-500.

Anyone out there who is mainly a edm listner that has made this choice? Currently own and love the q701 thats being amped by a vintage sansui. The combination is steller. My window for the purchase is closing and need advice.

If you're looking for headphones in that price range, the Fostex TH-900 is considered king of the hill for EDM. I also own HD-800, HE-6, and TH-900 and it is indeed the best for EDM from my personal experience.

Aug 28, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:
Jaw dropping sound = HiFiMAN HE-6 Planar Headphones

L3000.gif

Aug 28, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #6 of 18
TH900 or Signature DJ

Aug 28, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

If you find your current setup "steller" (stellar?) - why do you seek change? What sort of change do you want? Is something missing?   People are just going to shout out random answers until you narrow down what you are looking for.

Aug 28, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #9 of 18
Too narrow it...

I am very curious as to what more I can get out of better headphones. I love the clarity and neutrality of the q701 and even more of that would be awesome. Nothing is "missing", just want more.

I'm not really looking for bass monsters. More of a neutral frequency response with great extension and supreme clarity. Ortho's have my interest, but it's been stated many times that the hd800 properly amped is about as good as it gets.

First world problems :)

Aug 28, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:
Too narrow it...

I am very curious as to what more I can get out of better headphones. I love the clarity and neutrality of the q701 and even more of that would be awesome. Nothing is "missing", just want more.

I'm not really looking for bass monsters. More of a neutral frequency response with great extension and supreme clarity. Ortho's have my interest, but it's been stated many times that the hd800 properly amped is about as good as it gets.

First world problems
smily_headphones1.gif

If that is what you want, the HD-800 and HE-6 are your ticket.

Aug 28, 2013 at 8:07 PM Post #11 of 18
Th900 or sig dj +1.... They may have alot of bass, but they are both apparently amazing for edm... Im saving up for the sig dj right now and i ONLY listen to edm lol.

Aug 29, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #12 of 18
Too narrow it...

First world problems :)

If that is what you want, the HD-800 and HE-6 are your ticket.

Thats the answer imo. HD800 have a bad rep. believe me, they are quite the opposite. While I did like planars like the LCD2 for bass, they lack the level of dynamics the HD800 are armed with. Eventually I found myself rather "bored" even with EM. I dont miss orthos at all but I still feel the need to audition the HE-6 just to see what the rave it all about, still- I can die a happy man with just the HD800.

Aug 29, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #13 of 18

If you find your current setup "steller" (stellar?) - why do you seek change? What sort of change do you want? Is something missing?   People are just going to shout out random answers until you narrow down what you are looking for.

Because "stellar" is far from personal perfection or taste.

People may shout answers, even recommend things they havent heard themselves, but your post clearly does nothing. A thread with at least a page full will have 1 viable solution. I doubt people here randomly troll along a thread to mindlessly type away, or do they...

Aug 29, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:
Because "stellar" is far from personal perfection or taste.

People may shout answers, even recommend things they havent heard themselves, but your post clearly does nothing. A thread with at least a page full will have 1 viable solution. I doubt people here randomly troll along a thread to mindlessly type away, or do they...

Please correct me if I am wrong, but without my questions to the OP regarding his wants/tastes - we would still be throwing darts in the dark.  I can see your posts does much more for this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back