HD800 How do I re-terminate the stock cable for XLR?
Jun 7, 2009 at 2:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

johnwmclean

Aka: capone, bignurse.
I need help with re-terminating the stock HD-800 over to XLR. It’s been briefly covered in other threads, I have a few queries myself though.

It been discussed that the wire colour does not reflect connectivity and not to make assumptions. That is to say the red wire in some cases was not the right signal cable, it was in fact the left. (thanks n_maher)

So once the four wires are split into R and L channels how does one determine from the two wires which is which? I’m at a loss at this point as to which wire goes to pin 1 and 2 of the XLR plug. How do I check this with my DMM in continuity?

Jun 7, 2009 at 8:49 AM Post #2 of 5
Can't you just open the stock TRS plug to make notice of which color cable go to which channel?
Then you have defined which are Left +, Right + and the two - cables. Which of those two who go to which side should be easy to measure with multimeter, when they have been separated from each other.

Jun 7, 2009 at 1:47 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can't you just open the stock TRS plug to make notice of which color cable go to which channel?
Then you have defined which are Left +, Right + and the two - cables. Which of those two who go to which side should be easy to measure with multimeter, when they have been separated from each other.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep, bring out your DMM and measure resistance yourself, fastest and safest way.

Of course, I never thought of doing that. Thanks krmathis and FallenAngel
smile.gif

Should have thought about that one a bit more
rolleyes.gif

Jun 8, 2009 at 3:11 PM Post #5 of 5
3 brains think better than 1...
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back