HD800 for monitoring
Jul 10, 2009 at 9:42 AM Post #16 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrOutside /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello my friend. No, the HD800 is not good for monitoring or mixing as it is slightly coloured and is too pricey for a coloured headphone specifically for this purpose.

Sorry, I totally disagree with this - can you explain exactly where you think the 800 is coloured? I have listened with the 800 to my own masters which I why I bought them for this purpose.

Quote:

I would also not recommend the DT48 because it has a big roll-off in the highs (A version) and the other version has a slight roll off (E version).
If you are looking for a neutral can to mix with, go with DT880, HD600 (rolled of highs) or something like an ultrasone proline 2500 (slams a bit heavy).

From my selection, for mixing I would probably use the DT880, even though its one of the headphones I use least at the moment (l3000 and r10 get more headtime).

I do not have any argument with this at all - just your first statement.

Jul 10, 2009 at 10:09 AM Post #17 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Willett /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have listened with the 800 to my own masters which I why I bought them for this purpose.

Did you have the chance to listen to your master on the 701/2?

Jul 10, 2009 at 10:26 AM Post #18 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullseye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What a coincidence, they tell you to use a Sennheiser Headphone, John
rolleyes.gif

No - they (Martin Walker/SOS) do not. If you read the article you would know differently.
Yes - Sennheiser is mentioned, but only as one of the brands "that are highly regarded in audiocircles" and AKG and Grado are also mentioned as are some other manufacturers of software and hardware.
(If you were joking - please make it more clear...)

Jul 10, 2009 at 10:44 AM Post #19 of 81
John, from the article:

Quote:

Sennheiser's HD650s (Sennheiser UK: Microphones, Headphones and Wireless Systems) are very highly regarded in audio circles for their incredibly detailed yet neutral sound and for their bass extension. For those who consider the sound of HD650s slightly laid-back (I don't), the Grado RS2 (Grado Labs, Inc.) might suit for exposing ever-more minute details, while others say that AKG's K701s (Akg-acoustics.com) have the cleanest sound around.

If those have neutral sound I can't think of an adjective for the Fostex, Beyer or Sony MDR7506.

And if it wasn't enough he also adds:
Quote:

If you want to create headphone mixes that translate well to loudspeakers, using high quality headphones models like Sennheiser's HD650 and AKG's K 701 (shown here) will help you judge bass and spatial detail more easily.

I bet that if he hadn't mentioned any Sennheiser headphone you would have thought it twice to put the article on this thread.
rolleyes.gif

Anyways not here to discuss about that, so lets see what the OP thinks
smily_headphones1.gif

Note I have heard both HD600 and HD650, didn't sound neutral to me "compared" to the Fostex.

Jul 10, 2009 at 11:23 AM Post #20 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you have the chance to listen to your master on the 701/2?

Not yet, but I have never said anything against the 701/702 as they are excellent headphones.

But I will soon, as a friend uses the 701.

All I am saying is that the 800 *is* suitable for this purpose and is worthy of consideration along with all the other suggestions - you will make your own mind up if it is for you or not. As for me, I heard the sound on the 800, I heard the real instrument played in the room and I know my own recording; that's why I know it is suitable for consideration.

Jul 10, 2009 at 2:19 PM Post #21 of 81
Going off HD800 thread impressions and frequency graphs I've seen, I'd certainly not say the HD800 is bad for mixing.

Jul 10, 2009 at 2:23 PM Post #22 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by deejayen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I’m doing a bit of tracking and mixing at home, and have been using my HD-600 headphones. Everything I read states that using headphones for this task isn’t ideal, and I think I can agree with that now. I would say that the HD600s give me a cosy sound, and when I take the subsequent recording and play it on other systems (in my car, for example) all the tones are completely different. For example, a lead guitar which sounds okay on the headphones can have the proverbial ‘ice-axe through the eardrum’ brightness to it when listened to in my car. Also, when mixing, it’s difficult to get the levels of different instruments sounding the same when heard through the headphones or speakers. It could be that the headphone output of my recording gear isn’t driving the HD600’s properly.

I was going to look at getting a pair of studio monitors – I’ve read that mixes done using Proac Studio 100’s can translate well to other systems. However, using headphones would be much more convenient for me – I currently don’t have an acoustically-treated room.

I had a quick read of the HD800 review in HiFi+ and it seemed to be saying that the HD800’s perform like speakers, and I wonder if I’d be able to use them for getting an accurate tone while tracking, and for mixing.

Thanks

David

Interesting topic. Applying to read updates...

Jul 10, 2009 at 3:51 PM Post #23 of 81
Thanks for all the posts so far. It’s ‘interesting’ to see such a diverse range of opinions! There are no dealers near me, but I think I’ll have to try and make an effort to visit somewhere I can hear some monitors and the HD-800s. In a recent Sound-on-Sound review of the Phonitor, the general conclusion (and I’m reading between the lines here) was that the basic headphone amplifier side of the product was fantastic, but the signal processing circuitry didn’t make a huge difference to the sound or listening experience. The HiFi+ review of the HD800 said that they do perform almost like good loudspeakers in terms of imagery, etc, so I’m not sure if they would cancel out the ‘need’ for a Phonitor.

Based on my experiences with the HD600 I had pretty much decided to give up on headphones for this purpose. I think my options are now to buy a Phonitor and run it with the HD600’s until I can afford HD800s(or another quality headphone) as well – that’s assuming what I feel to be an inaccurate sound is because the HD600s aren’t being driven properly. Secondly, I could buy the HD800 now, along with a cheaper headphone amp. Thirdly, forget headphones and buy the Proac monitors. I’m coming to the realisation that making recordings is difficult if one hasn’t got a fairly accurate monitoring system, and I need to get that sorted before doing anything else.

Jul 10, 2009 at 4:36 PM Post #24 of 81
Quote:

You can tell Sennheiser what ever you want, but first the 800 need to match the sound and the price of the K-702 ... I mean if you want to sale Sennheiser to musicians.
k701smile.gif

Why would Sennheiser want to cripple the sound output and lower the overall quality of the HD800 to match the K-702/701?
smile_phones.gif

Jul 10, 2009 at 5:20 PM Post #25 of 81
Quote:

Hello my friend. No, the HD800 is not good for monitoring or mixing as it is slightly coloured and is too pricey for a coloured headphone specifically for this purpose.
I would also not recomend the DT48 because it has a big roll-off in the highs (A version) and the other version has a slight roll off (E version).
If you are looking for a neutral can to mix with, go with DT880, HD600 (rolled of highs) or something like an ultrasone proline 2500 (slams a bit heavy).

From my selection, for mixing I would probably use the DT880, even though its one of the headphones I use least at the moment (l3000 and r10 get more headtime).
Thanks

The DT48a is a moot point.. It's a Audio metric headphone & was made for medical use & measuring peoples hearing.. The DT48e is best used for monitoring.. Flat response.. No distortion or any colorization.. I wouldn't use the DT48e to mix bass heavy music.. Your mix wouldn't be as accurate, & will probably be even more bass heavy. You could do much worse then the DT48e for mixing. They do meet NAGRA's strict standards.

Jul 10, 2009 at 7:05 PM Post #27 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why would Sennheiser want to cripple the sound output and lower the overall quality of the HD800 to match the K-702/701?
smile_phones.gif

lol, why you think Sennheiser made the 800, what market to you think they compete?

Jul 10, 2009 at 7:06 PM Post #28 of 81
Quote:

lol, why you think Sennheiser made the 800, what market to you think they compete?

you're seriously obsessed man. Do you sleep with your K701?

Jul 10, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #29 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you're seriously obsessed man. Do you sleep with your K701?

I can tell that you have a problem...you are not a recording artist, you don't work in the studio, and you even don't have the hd 800 or the K-701/2.

SO, BUZZ OF!

Jul 10, 2009 at 7:20 PM Post #30 of 81
Quote:

I can tell that you have a problem...you are not a recording artist, you don't work in the studio, and you even don't have the hd 800 or the K-701/2.

SO, BUZZ OF!

Well, I own both and rhythmdevils does have a point.
smily_headphones1.gif
You do seem to be very fond of a headphone which frankly isn't all that good. It's a mid-fi phone, nothing more, nothing less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back