HD800 for monitoring
Jul 10, 2009 at 7:25 PM Post #31 of 81
Life would be incomplete without daily K701 wars....

That said, this doesn't seem to be the place - let's keep the topic focused on the OP's question, and away from battling over other headphones or baiting a MoT, shall we?

Jul 10, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #32 of 81
I think its more about learning how to use your headphone and adjust your mix accordingly. Of course good speakers will eliminate the guesswork to some degree. I DO think the K701 is a good can for mixing. Not my cup or tea for listening pleasure though. I prefer my HD-580. For tracking I use Sony MDR-V6. MHO. Im not a professional engineer. Just an obsessed hobyist/musician.

Jul 10, 2009 at 7:34 PM Post #33 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I own both and rhythmdevils does have a point.
smily_headphones1.gif
You do seem to be very fond of a headphone which frankly isn't all that good. It's a mid-fi phone, nothing more, nothing less.

And whats your experience in a studio? That is what the topic of this thread is. right?

Jul 10, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #34 of 81
Quote:

Well, I own both and rhythmdevils does have a point.
smily_headphones1.gif
You do seem to be very fond of a headphone which frankly isn't all that good. It's a mid-fi phone, nothing more, nothing less.

When you use headphones for mix and mastering, the criterions and the expectations from the hps chance.

Jul 10, 2009 at 7:45 PM Post #35 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When you use headphones for mix and mastering, the criterions and the expectations from the hps chance.

I understand that fully. Just don't rule out a headphone you haven't even tried using in that setting. The coloration people are saying the HD800 have is just not true. Their sources may be colored or their amps may be colored, but the HD800 is as close to flat as I've ever heard in a headphone. If you run a neutral DAC and a neutral amp into the HD800, you will have a neutral sound that works for mixing.

The K702 would work well for that purpose I'm sure, but you miss out on lots of detail. I would think you would want to be able to hear as much as possible in your mix. The K702 cannot give that to you. And price is all relevant to the person's needs. The HD800 costs a lot more but it is able to let you hear a lot more, and this is because of the new transducer design they have incorporated.

Jul 10, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #37 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by elbuzzard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah, thats what I thought.

Finish the rest of the sentence. Don't chop apart sentences and twist them to your benefit.

"I would think you would want to be able to hear as much as possible in your mix."

If you don't want to hear as much as you possibly can, then why should I trust your recording experience?

Jul 10, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #40 of 81
Quote:

I The coloration people are saying the HD800 have is just not true. Their sources may be colored or their amps may be colored, but the HD800 is as close to flat as I've ever heard in a headphone. If you run a neutral DAC and a neutral amp into the HD800, you will have a neutral sound that works for mixing.

lol, maybe you need more burn in on your K702, and I do trust these people, because they have a HUGE experience with their sources.

Jul 10, 2009 at 9:53 PM Post #41 of 81
Acix, I didn't mean to insult you or anything, it's all just preference. I only see you post about how amazing the K701 is, and I was just pokin you in the ribs a bit
wink.gif

you said I don't own the K701 or HD800. Well, I did own the K701, and neither of us have heard the HD800. Have you listened to Joe Grado's HP1000? If I were a recording engineer, and I could afford it, there's nothing else I would want to mix with.

I think blanket black and white statements about how amazing the K701 is, is exactly what creates the wars. Especially considering their very unique sound signature.

Jul 10, 2009 at 9:55 PM Post #42 of 81
Quote:

Finish the rest of the sentence. Don't chop apart sentences and twist them to your benefit.

"I would think you would want to be able to hear as much as possible in your mix."

If you don't want to hear as much as you possibly can, then why should I trust your recording experience?

I dont think I twisted anything.
I merely asked you what your experience in the studio was. You chose not to answer. Then you preface your obvious statement with "I would think". The rest is conjecture on your part. Its about as usefull as "a U47 is more neutral than a SM57". So why chime in on a topic you know very little about? The OP, John willett, acix and myself stated our experiences on the thread topic; mixing and monitoring with headphones. Its not about HD-800 vs K701 nor the "neutrality" of such cans. Come correct.... YOU HAVE NO EXPERIENCE in this use of headphones.

Jul 11, 2009 at 12:06 AM Post #43 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol, maybe you need more burn in on your K702, and I do trust these people, because they have a HUGE experience with their sources.

Oh, riggggghhhhhhhhhhhtttttt.
rolleyes.gif
That's always the answer when someone doesn't think the K70x are the best things since sliced bread, isn't it? Your phones need more burn in.
rolleyes.gif
I have over 500 hours on them and a $500 custom cable. The phones are still mid-fi.

Jul 11, 2009 at 12:11 AM Post #44 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by elbuzzard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dont think I twisted anything.
I merely asked you what your experience in the studio was. You chose not to answer. Then you preface your obvious statement with "I would think". The rest is conjecture on your part. Its about as usefull as "a U47 is more neutral than a SM57". So why chime in on a topic you know very little about? The OP, John willett, acix and myself stated our experiences on the thread topic; mixing and monitoring with headphones. Its not about HD-800 vs K701 nor the "neutrality" of such cans. Come correct.... YOU HAVE NO EXPERIENCE in this use of headphones.

I never claimed I worked in a studio, although I have used equipment to record my own songs.

And once again you ignored the rest of the sentence. What would someone have to gain by using a headphone that reveals LESS detail? Conjecture or not, it is an obvious truth. If I buy an album and you couldn't hear all the detail while you were mastering it, do you really think I'll be listening to an accurate mix?

Jul 11, 2009 at 12:15 AM Post #45 of 81
Ok, how did this turn into a HD800, K70x, et. al. is greater than everything thread? The OP asked a valid question and I think it would be appropiate for people with ACTUAL experience to add their advice!

The moderator(s) need to step in and do their job!!

BTW: I have heard both cans!! So please STOP declaring one "mid-fi"... that's a falsehood based on what fact? How do you know, for sure, the HD800, or whatever is giving you ALL the detail?? I've seen similiar excuses used when people complain about the signature (and yes they do have their own signature) of the HD800s.. ooh, you're not using the proper amp, burn in, or source..etc..."

Oh, nevermind, don't answer, I don't intend to derail this thread any further!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back