HD800 Connectors: Are you !@#$% kidding me!?
Jan 20, 2010 at 5:08 AM Post #16 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Doug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what flabbergasts me is the fact that they cost $40/pair (unless someone can point me to a cheaper option)

Yeah, that's the price I thought I saw mentioned before... Just how high end is PEEK?

From the site:

"PEEK is high temperature resistant engineered thermoplastic with excellent chemical and fatigue resistance plus thermal stability. They exhibit superior mechanical and electrical properties. With a maximum continuous working temperature of 480 ° Fahrenheit, they have excellent retention of mechanical properties up to 570° Fahrenheit in a steam or high-pressure water environment. Superior chemical resistance has allowed them to work effectively as a metal replacement in harsh environments. They are inert to all common solvents and resist a wide range of organic and inorganic liquids. When extensive machining is required, a secondary annealing process should be considered.

Jan 20, 2010 at 5:12 AM Post #17 of 40
Well, considering the several months lead time, and quantity prices, that doesn't sound terribly bad, especially considering the cost of 00 Lemo connectors. Of course, you can always contact ODU, with the part numbers I have posted on the Headroom forum, as well as in the monster hd800 thread, and buy them directly - IFF they still have that option.

Heck, I can even give a contact person for those who are, well, supremely unmotivated.

I agree - I thought a 01 shell size to be the minimum they would consider, but, this is Sennheiser.

Jan 20, 2010 at 5:21 AM Post #18 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by John E Woven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that's what she said
icon10.gif

Now now.
atsmile.gif

Quote:

is it even possible to solder wire >28awg to it if you deform the cups ? do you have a closeup of the cups ?

No, I don't have a closeup of the cups.

They're of the typical solder cup design where you simply bore a hole in the ass end of the pin and then mill across the pin about half the diameter for a short distance.

I don't know that trying to flatten them would be of any real benefit over just taking the wire onto the top of the cup.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishski13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the Cardas are a bone job at $30 as well. at least my AKG K271 has mini-XLRs and cost less than 1/2 of the Cardas.

Well to be fair, mini XLR's enjoy a certain economy of scale that these connectors (as well as the Cardas) don't.

se

Jan 20, 2010 at 5:32 AM Post #19 of 40
Quote:

the Cardas are a bone job at $30 as well. at least my AKG K271 has mini-XLRs and cost less than 1/2 of the Cardas.

It was the mistake of Cardas. They already adjusted the price to 16$.

Jan 20, 2010 at 5:37 AM Post #20 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Koyaan I. Sqatsi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well to be fair, mini XLR's enjoy a certain economy of scale that these connectors (as well as the Cardas) don't.

se

i guess if you have the money and desire to a re-cable, $40 isn't a biggie. what defines a superior connector?

Jan 20, 2010 at 5:38 AM Post #21 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It was the mistake of Cardas. They already adjusted the price to 16$.

really??? where??? i paid $30 for mine a year ago.

Jan 20, 2010 at 5:51 AM Post #22 of 40
Quote:

i guess if you have the money and desire to a re-cable, $40 isn't a biggie. what defines a superior connector?

Good question.

And one which will inevitably have more than one answer, each of which will be the "right" answer for the particular individual answering.

With that in mind...

popcorn.gif

atsmile.gif

se

Jan 20, 2010 at 7:06 AM Post #24 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Uhm... trolling!
biggrin.gif

Everybody knows a "good connector" must be HUGE gauge of OMG% pure unobtanium plated with gold plated with silver plated with uranium nitrate in gross quantities!

:
popcorn.gif

No, no. Nitrates are soluble in water! Humidity ruins the cable. The durable ones are the non-group-1 carbonates. Uranium Carbonate plating is used more often in the better high end cables.
wink.gif

Jan 20, 2010 at 7:16 AM Post #26 of 40
its not plastic, its peek, probably also used because its autoclavable as these connectors are from a range that are also used for medical instrumentation. Peek is probably one of the best dielectrics known to man, much better than teflon; agreed its a bit pricey but if you are going to disparage the materials you should know what they are (not referring to you OP here because I cant see your post for some reason
tongue.gif
. ) they are easier to work with than the cardas connectors IMO because you have full access to the pins before you put the shell on. I actually think they are quite good as far as stock connectors go and the wider range they come from is awesome; the multiple pin versions are the future of balanced connections for portable gear IMO. at least I wish it was instead of what seems to be coming.

Jan 20, 2010 at 3:17 PM Post #29 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This thread kinda makes you wonder what, exactly, ALO is doing with their 18awg wire at the HD800 connector, doesn't it?

I figured over time, as it turned green, it shrunk enough to fit into the connector?

Jan 20, 2010 at 4:31 PM Post #30 of 40
i'm guessing they have either dremeled out the inner 2 piece shell thinner as 22AWG fits fairly well (just actually), but it is about ~1.5-2mm thick, so another 2 mm coiuld be gained by eroding that somehow; or left it out altogether and filled it with epoxy for strain relief. you can easily chop the back pointy bit off which is what some resellers do when selling them to DIYers for headphone use.

@ john, no problem
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back