HD700s any good for electronica?
Sep 7, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #2 of 16
The HD700s are very polarizing headphones. The treble unevenness is something that I really don't like personally, but some people really like the tonality. Definitely headphones you need to try before you buy.

The HE560 are better headphones in most aspects, except comfort. They are not uncomfortable, but the HD700s score very high there.

Different people like different headphones for the same genre. At this price point it's much more a matter of preference than of technicalities. It's best to list the headphones you have owned and what you liked or disliked about them. That makes it easier for others to understand your preferences. By the way, 'electronic music' is an enormously broad description for the music you like. It could be anything from Knife Party to Leggysalad.

The HE560 has a bass that is slightly south of neutral and may sound too 'polite' in bass heavy music. The feeling of the drums is fast and very realistic though and the imaging is great. The treble is well extended and most people like it, but to me personally, it has this 'plasticky' or artificial feel. It was noticeable for me mainly with cymbals when compared directly to my Stax SR-407.

Other headphone that I would recommend at that price point is the Focal Elear.

Sep 7, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #3 of 16
I think the 700's do well with electronic/edm style of music the 6k spike is only noticeable on a few tracks for me. I think I would prefer them for that style of music over the 560's myself but that is just my opinion and YMMV.

Sep 7, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #4 of 16
I auditioned my friend's 700 for a week and although the bass is tight and accurate, any electronic music would sound very thin to me with the 700. I'm not a bass head but I can tell when a headphone doesn't have "enough" for certain genres. The unnatural treble might also sound weird with that music, especially considering the common use of high frequency synths. Those sounds may become annoying with the 700. I would love to recommend the Hifiman but I've never heard it before so I can't really say which is better. I just know that I didn't enjoy the 700 for many modern genres. I tended to stick with older rock music because the more mellow but textured music sounded more pleasant to me

Sep 7, 2017 at 7:04 PM Post #5 of 16
Just need the right amp and that can make all the difference. I guess I should said I only use tube amps and a warm solid state amp with them.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2017 at 12:23 AM Post #6 of 16
Hmm. I keep seeing the price of the HD700 under $500 this past year, and its awfully tempting since I have never owned any true Hi-Fi cans. I will resist until I can hear em' first.

I prioritize electronic music because that's what I listen to most, but also listen to many other genres, and find myself enjoying rock and classical more than ever..

Im really looking for something that can handle everything, with great mids to handle the vocal trance part of my electronic experience, as well as everything else. I have the HE-400, and am getting some TH-X00 for endgame V-shape mid-fi, wanna get something less fatiguing up high and with better mids.

At the $500 dollar price point, does the Audeze Sine even come close to competing with the HD700 in terms of detail and sound quality? I'm ok with less of a soundstage and on-ear comfort. I heard its sound is warm and musical, while non fatiguing.

Maybe I should save up for a nighthawk/Nightowl?

Im looking for something with better overall detail, more upfront mids, and less fatiguing treble than my HE-400, and soon to come Massdrop fostex

Sep 8, 2017 at 4:24 AM Post #7 of 16
Hm... the HE560 fits your description, but the bass is a significant step down in impact compared to the HE400.

What you describe sounds like an electrostatic headphone to me, but the new models of Stax are all way above $500 if you include the amplification.

I have read good things about Mitchell & Johnson headphones. Perhaps also worth looking into.

Sep 8, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #8 of 16
I have an HD700, Denon AH-D2000 (practically a TH-X00 ph), and LCD2 in-front of me along with some other headphones (MDR-7520 and Sennheiser HD250 studio headphones). They are all excellent with electronic music but for different reasons.

The HD700, if you like the signature, you'll end up wearing all the time and listening to everything. It is very versatile, and I agree with the above posts in that it's bass is south of neutral, but it is still very solid. For very well produced, atmospheric and detailed electronic music it fantastic.

The D2000, is the fun one. The mid-bass is actually not as pronounced as most headphones, it is very flat and neutral with a bit of splashy on the the high-end. The bass extends deep though, and overall this is one of my favourite headphones for any electronic genres but actually is incredible with classical and jazz as well. Less spacious than the HD700, but more visceral low-end and very liquid sound thanks to it's bio-cellulose. You should enjoy your TH-X00 immensely.

Then there is the LCD2, which technically is superior to the D2000 and the He400s I have heard (they are excellent headphones though). You may consider selling your HE400 and going the LCD2 route (either early rev 1 or 2 or the very latest driver design).Reason being is the bass. It just dials down so low. But there is caveat, it isn't prominent like say Beats but because you can hear the low-end so clearly it makes up for its lack of impact. The clarity of my rev1 is superior to the HD650s I've had in the past, and it edges out the HD700.

Still, the HD700 is my most used headphone because of its comfort and soundstage. Easily one of my favourite headphones, especially for the low-price I got them at.

For neutrality and tonal accuracy the HD250 Linear beats all of the above and is much more like an HD650 except with better bass and increased high-end. Quite spacious for a closed headphone. Difficult to find in great condition and requires some power. The MDR-7520 are awesome for electronic and the punchiest of all the headphones but then very neutral in the mid range. They have a monitor type sound.

So with your TH-X00, perhaps considering selling your HE400 and get something like the LCD2 for a sonorous listening experience or as others have suggested replace with an entry-mid level Stax or get the solid choice of HD800/800S

Sep 9, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #9 of 16
I have an HD700, Denon AH-D2000 (practically a TH-X00 ph), and LCD2 in-front of me along with some other headphones (MDR-7520 and Sennheiser HD250 studio headphones). They are all excellent with electronic music but for different reasons.

The HD700, if you like the signature, you'll end up wearing all the time and listening to everything. It is very versatile, and I agree with the above posts in that it's bass is south of neutral, but it is still very solid. For very well produced, atmospheric and detailed electronic music it fantastic.

The D2000, is the fun one. The mid-bass is actually not as pronounced as most headphones, it is very flat and neutral with a bit of splashy on the the high-end. The bass extends deep though, and overall this is one of my favourite headphones for any electronic genres but actually is incredible with classical and jazz as well. Less spacious than the HD700, but more visceral low-end and very liquid sound thanks to it's bio-cellulose. You should enjoy your TH-X00 immensely.

Then there is the LCD2, which technically is superior to the D2000 and the He400s I have heard (they are excellent headphones though). You may consider selling your HE400 and going the LCD2 route (either early rev 1 or 2 or the very latest driver design).Reason being is the bass. It just dials down so low. But there is caveat, it isn't prominent like say Beats but because you can hear the low-end so clearly it makes up for its lack of impact. The clarity of my rev1 is superior to the HD650s I've had in the past, and it edges out the HD700.

Still, the HD700 is my most used headphone because of its comfort and soundstage. Easily one of my favourite headphones, especially for the low-price I got them at.

For neutrality and tonal accuracy the HD250 Linear beats all of the above and is much more like an HD650 except with better bass and increased high-end. Quite spacious for a closed headphone. Difficult to find in great condition and requires some power. The MDR-7520 are awesome for electronic and the punchiest of all the headphones but then very neutral in the mid range. They have a monitor type sound.

So with your TH-X00, perhaps considering selling your HE400 and get something like the LCD2 for a sonorous listening experience or as others have suggested replace with an entry-mid level Stax or get the solid choice of HD800/800S

Thanks for the answer!

I want all those headphones!!!

I have this gut feeling that I will really like the HD 700. Same with the TH-X00. I think I have settled on those two for now. Ill get the TH-X00 by the end of this current drop, and then start saving for the HD700. Then in 2018, I'll move on to Audeze. Sine and LCD-X.. I heard the audeze are still fun headphones, but much less fatiguing, which I need. All these v-shaped cans are fun and energetic, and they make you want to dance to the music. However they are definitely more fatiguing. I'm going to test the Sine now, if it seems fun but less fatiguing, I may buy it.

I have a fiio A5, which should drive them well enough, but now I need to start researching good desktop amps that warm things up (reduce a slight amount of sibilance)

Sep 9, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #10 of 16
I hope you do end up liking the HD700! I have a pair in front of me again (swapped my LCD2 for a friends 700 for 2 weeks). Going from the 650 and LCD2 to the HD700 is so weird. At least it solidifies the fact that I made the right choice buying the 650 instead of the 700 :p The HD700 is definitely the black sheep of the Sennheiser upper HD line. The sound signature is much different that what one would consider Sennheiser's "house sound". I can't get over the lack of bass and lower midrange because it makes them sound thin and weak, the reasoning behind my advice not to get them for electronic music. From many other users, I've heard they shine their brightest with classical and instrumental music. Either way, good luck on your journey!

Sep 9, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #11 of 16
Thanks for the answer!

I have this gut feeling that I will really like the HD 700. Same with the TH-X00. I think I have settled on those two for now. Ill get the TH-X00 by the end of this current drop, and then start saving for the HD700. Then in 2018, I'll move on to Audeze. Sine and LCD-X.. I heard the audeze are still fun headphones, but much less fatiguing, which I need. All these v-shaped cans are fun and energetic, and they make you want to dance to the music. However they are definitely more fatiguing. I'm going to test the Sine now, if it seems fun but less fatiguing, I may buy it.

I have a fiio A5, which should drive them well enough, but now I need to start researching good desktop amps that warm things up (reduce a slight amount of sibilance)

Do it! :) I had that gut feeling about the HD700, was a bit put off by the price and a few critics, but so worth it.

Here are some more in-depth impressions regarding the HD700
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hea...-rev-1-and-a-pair-of-logitech-ue6000s.832713/

on the HD250 Linear (
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sennheiser-hd250-linear-impressions-micro-thread.845221/

and on the LCD2
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ban...0-mdr7550-hd25-comparisons-and-review.765538/

Sep 9, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #12 of 16
Thanks for the answer!

Honestly, i wouldn't jumped on HD700 without hearing it first. HD700 sounds kinda weird to me, it is quite similar to HD800 though, thin and bass lite.

Sep 9, 2017 at 7:04 PM Post #13 of 16
Honestly, i wouldn't jumped on HD700 without hearing it first. HD700 sounds kinda weird to me, it is quite similar to HD800 though, thin and bass lite.
I think it's definitely regarded as one of those "try before you buy" headphones. Zeos said in his HD700 review that you really need to KNOW that the 700 sound is right for you before you buy one. That you have to hear it first and think "yup, THIS is what I want"

Sep 9, 2017 at 7:23 PM Post #14 of 16
Definitely the HE560. To my ears, it's the better headphone overall. I spent months with both last year, and the 560 just did everything better in the end.

The bass on the 560's, is much more engaging, meatier, fuller, and digs deeper. Impact wise , I think they're equal.
How do HD700's handle electronic music?

How would they compare to the HE560?

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #15 of 16
I just auditioned the Sine yesterday. Great headphone, albeit small. Sounded more detailed and more balanced than my HE-400, by a noticable amount. But still fun sounding.

I tend to like on-ears, for some odd reason. I like portability, especially with the sines cipher cable. I think I am going to buy it after the Purpleheart.

I cant see how the HE-500 or 560 could really obliterate this headphone... maybe in sounstage and imaging, but the Sine is already so clear and well defined..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back