HD650's with Zu Mobius,,,,,,,,my first impressions !!!
Mar 26, 2004 at 8:18 PM Post #16 of 44
meech, give the Zu some time. On my system the bass came and went twice before it got right. If your this happy with the 650 without the Zu, you are in for a really good time 1-2 hundred hours from now. Congrats on your new phones and cable.

Mar 26, 2004 at 8:54 PM Post #17 of 44
Nice write-up. I've had my eye on the 650s for a while and you've made me want them more. But I need to wait a while and enjoy what I have, so I may have to back away from this board for a while or something.

Mar 26, 2004 at 9:06 PM Post #18 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by blessingx
Waiting, waiting...
[This is worse than the anticipation of the release of Piranha II: The Spawning]

Tomato/tomato
Smooth/Liquuuuiiidddd.

LOL, nothing like flying piranhas!
biggrin.gif

-Ed

Mar 26, 2004 at 10:34 PM Post #19 of 44
I'm definitely looking forward to what you have to say. I have the HD650's and I plugged in my nu Zu Mobius cord a week ago or so, and have been steadily burning the cable in for a while now. It has been a trip for me--detail is much better than before, and treble is there too. The lower end is what's missing, and that's really making me wish the cables would burn in already. I had much better bass in the stock cable, but I have been assured that it's just a matter of time before it gets better. :)

Mar 26, 2004 at 11:07 PM Post #20 of 44
Meech, xaipemw,

Patience is a virtue with the HD650s and Zu cable. Mine now have well over 200 hours use so have now settled down to provide a most excellent listening experience.

I had the same experience of burn in that Tom Hankins and others have had in that the bass takes longer to settle down than the rest of the frequencies. Hang on in there - it does come good.

Congratulations on your new cans and cable - enjoy your listening.

Mar 26, 2004 at 11:15 PM Post #21 of 44
I soon will buy some 650's!! cant wait until i do!

But when i do, Im also going to pick up the zu mobius.

...and reading this thread is not making things better!! AHAHA

Mar 27, 2004 at 2:37 AM Post #22 of 44
I'm glad you guys have been enjoying this so far. I will post part two tommorow.

Stay tuned
wink.gif

Mar 27, 2004 at 4:58 AM Post #23 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by Ticky
Is there no end to this infernal temptation?!!!

I've been drooling over the HD650's smooth metallic grey finish. I like my HD600 but the cheap wall-paper marble imitation is really lame.

One question for HD650 owners:

The HD600 has 4 small cushions distributed evenly over the arc of the headband. Unfortunately the alignment of these cushions virtually guarantees that at least 1 or 2 of the cushions gets squished flat if I ever hang them on a headphone stand (i.e. the small metal prong of a banana stand). In fact, that happened to the handband on my old defunct 580s.

I noticed from pictures that the HD650's headband is different. It appears to have 2 long cushions separated by a gap on the center of the headband. This seems to ensure that the cushions are not pressed flat if you hang them from the center gap. Is this right?

I know this sounds trivia but it would go a long way towards helpign preserve the cosmetics of my phones if I could hang it up instead of placing it on my equipments or hard wooden desk.

Your eyes do not deceive you -- there are two long pads with a gap in the middle. I hang mine on the (in)famous chrome banana hanger with a second one to hold the extra-rigid Blue Dragon cable in a loose coil. No damage whatsoever using the banana stand.

Mar 27, 2004 at 6:03 AM Post #24 of 44
That's kinda strange, I wonder why multiple separated pads are better. My HD545s just have one long, single pad that runs along the underside of the headband. Kinda nice actually.

Mar 28, 2004 at 5:22 AM Post #25 of 44
Introduction of the Zu Mobius Cable

It's been two days since I've listened to the 650s. After being impressed with them through the stock cable, I had the see what this Zu Cable was all about. Before I go any further I must say that it was a pleasure to deal with the guys at Zu. Nate especially was very helpful and he answered all of my questions.
I'm sure I asked a couple of silly questions but what can I say, I get silly when I'm getting a new toy
redface.gif
. I placed my order at about 1:00pm one afternoon and the cable was delivered to my door at 10:00 the next morning. I didn't even get a chance to excercise my impatience and start harrasing Fedex (maybe next time
mad.gif
). They arrived very neatly packed in a small notebook sized cardboard box. The cable itself is in a sealed plastic bag which kinda looked like a zip lock bag (I got a chucke out of this
tongue.gif
). Upon inspecting the Mobius I was really impressed with the quality. Very solid connectors and definately more flexible than I expected. Plugging these things into the 650s was no easy task. First of all, I damn near passed out trying to unplug the stock cable. I had to eventually go with the old teeth grip method. As I was trying to install the Mobius, I thought I was going to break it. I pushed the connectors in to a point that I felt secure with. I figured I'd give them a quick listen before I went to bed. I loaded up Miles "Kind of Blue", sat in my chair and hit play. NOTHING!!! ABSOLUTELY NOTHING !!!!! "OH GOD, I BROKE IT"!! Hearbeat starts pounding. Two sweat beads are racing each other down my forehead. "Who put the heat on"????
eek.gif

After taking off the 650s I realized that the connectors weren't all the way in. I tried again. This time I pushed with everything I had until I felt it lock in. Once installed, I took that experience as a sign to hold off on my listening. So I pressed play, and then went to bed. A little more burn in never hurt anyone.

650s with Zu Mobius: First Impressions

After letting the 650s with the Zu cable burn in for about 40 hours, I decided to give them a listen. I pressed play and was not happy with what I heard. As 'Kind of Blue' started to play, the first thing I remember thinking was "where's the air"? The sound had become sort of closed in. It was as if I had just dropped from high altitude and my ears needed to be popped (we all know how annoying that can be). All of the detail was there, every single note, just no air. That feeling of space was gone. "Oh no, could this be the infamous Sennheiser veil that I've read about"? Or could it be that the Mobius was going through it's break-in metamorphosis that I've also read about? I wanted to believe that it was the Mobius breaking in since it didn't sound like this with the stock cable. I didn't like the bass that I was hearing yet. Again, full impact but not very tight. Very good bass extension, as a matter of fact I think it's going a little deeper than with the stock cable. I have a feeling it's going to go through a lot more changes before it finally settles down. What I'll be left with, I have no idea. All in all, this still is a very pleasant presentation. Still warm, still smooth,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, almost tubey!
280smile.gif
The soundsatge was still in tact and I'm still sitting dead center. I also liked the midrange tonal character. I think this is what 'flat response' means. There are no humps or dips. The drum section had some nice qualities. It was nice to hear a brush sound like a brush and not like a big bag of hiss. Really nice!
600smile.gif

Next it was on to some bass heavy hip hop. I went with 'Busta Rhymes' Genesis album. Busta's music is always bass heavy and always has a lot of detail (actually sometimes it's over produced but that's another story). I started with track #5. Ok now this is nice !!!!!!. Prior to this I was starting to think that the 650s may be a bit one dimensional. I was afraid that I was always going to be in the audience, even when the recording was right on stage. Well after playing this track for about a minute, my fears subsided. I was so close to Busta he damn near spit on me while he was rapping. The bass had so much impact that my earlobes were vibrating. There is a background synthesizer in this song that wraps around your entire head. This was really nice
biggrin.gif
!!!!!. I knew I was enjoying it because I totally forgot about evaluating the sound. No longer was I focused on the loose bass or lack of splash in the treble. Plain and simple, I was jammin' !
This is one of the reasons I enjoy hip hop. It's all about a mood. No time for thinking, just strictly jammin'. If any of you were wondering if the smooth, warm presentation of the 650s would prevent them from getting down, have no fear. These cans can boogey with the best of them. I'm never, ever selling these cans. This was a lot of fun!!!!!
600smile.gif

I'm going to let this combo burn in for a few hundred hours before I give my final opinion. I apologize for not being able to offer distinct characteristics of the 650s and the Mobius. As far as the combo goes, so far so good. I few minor complaints but I think time will heal. I think the bass will tighten up and the treble will open up. I've got no problems wih the midrange AT ALL !. This is the smoothest midrange I've ever heard.

Stay tuned for the final installment in a few days.
wink.gif

1080452953.jpg

1080453141.jpg

1080452800.jpg

Mar 28, 2004 at 5:30 AM Post #26 of 44
Nice mini-review. Keep us posted periodically as the burn-in progresses. Does not seem that your sound "issues" are nothing out of the ordinary with the Zu cable. I know that Moon Audio has a pseudo-disclaimer on their site that recommends a lengthy (140 hours?) burn-in before the Silver Dragon cables settle down. Best of luck and continued enjoyment.

Mar 28, 2004 at 5:46 AM Post #27 of 44
Great mini-review meech. It's very relieving to me to hear your comments on what the 650's sound like with hip-hop. I'm thinking about getting a pair in the near future and I listen to quite a bit of hip-hop.

It's great to hear that you like Busta Rhymes too, I thought I was one of the few. Genesis is a great album, so is It Ain't Safe. Keep up the good work on your review of the 650's, can't wait to see the rest of it in a few days.

~Range

Mar 28, 2004 at 5:56 AM Post #28 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by PinkRange
Great mini-review meech. It's very relieving to me to hear your comments on what the 650's sound like with hip-hop. I'm thinking about getting a pair in the near future and I listen to quite a bit of hip-hop.

The 650 with a new cable can work VERY well with better-recorded rap and hip-hop tracks. They are stellar with the new OutKast and older, instrumental rap like Tribe Called Quest. The biggest issue I have found with rap and high-end cans is that the production value on the majority of the tracks is so poor that NO can will sound good. Those cans that pump massive amounts of unrealistic bass mask the flaws in the tracks better and are thus perceived as rap-friendly.

Mar 28, 2004 at 6:11 AM Post #29 of 44
OH, and by the way. Thanks for all the responses. My goal was not enlightenment, just merely entertainment. Hope you're enjoying my journey as much as I am.

Talk to you guys soon.
wink.gif

Mar 28, 2004 at 6:16 AM Post #30 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by cmascatello
The 650 with a new cable can work VERY well with better-recorded rap and hip-hop tracks. They are stellar with the new OutKast and older, instrumental rap like Tribe Called Quest. The biggest issue I have found with rap and high-end cans is that the production value on the majority of the tracks is so poor that NO can will sound good. Those cans that pump massive amounts of unrealistic bass mask the flaws in the tracks better and are thus perceived as rap-friendly.

That's really interesting, thanks cmas. I'm a huge hip-hop fan and have an absolutely huge collection of hip-hop albums (for god sake, I'm the only one who owns the Coolio Greatest Hits album). I'm looking to hear the nuances, so it looks like the 650's will be perfect for doing that. Plus, I listen to a lot of classical/jazz/bluegrass so I'm happy that the headphones can be used for an all around type of can.

I listen to a lot of Busta and Kanye West. Busta albums, as stated before, are generally produced really well. I haven't heard Kanye through a great pair of headphones yet, but given the fact that he started out as a producer I'm guessing that the production value is pretty good. It'll be interesting to see how many of my albums were actually produced with quality, can't wait.

Just to insert a shamless plug...for all you hip-hop fans go out and pick up the Kanye West "College Dropout" album. It's great and is likely to be more influential than the Chronic.

Thanks again.

~Range

Users who are viewing this thread

Back