HD650's, the veil is GONE, x2
Oct 28, 2011 at 5:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

cheapskateaudio

Aka: sohnx
And then the hated veil was slain, and was no more.

I just had to post this because it is the holy grail that so many HD650 owners search for. And because I'm going to wait to a do full review of the Objective 2 for when I get my front panel completed and I can show off this sweet DIY setup I stumbled upon.

The system: HD650 <- DIY solid core .65mm silver wire (2 wires per channel) <- DIY Objective 2 headamp <- uDac 2 (will try another DAC soon) <- Foobar

What am I hearing?

For the first time ever, forward voices on the HD650. Properly amped, and yes, the Objective 2 is a proper amp, these cans sing. But, there is still room for improvement, whatever the O2 is doing, it needs to do MORE of that... The reason I say that is because I notice a difference in how the O2 sounds when the volume is at full (and attenuated via the input) vs a high input volume attenuated at the output.

Bob Dylan's voice on "All Along The Watchtower" is coming through loud and clear above the instruments. This is how it is *meant* to sound. 

Jello Biafra's weird lyrical contortions are visceral even on relatively flat recordings.

Sting's voice on "Wrapped Around Your Finger" is full and clean with the digital edges from processing easy to hear. During the chorus all the sounds are perfectly rendered in a spacious sea of sound.

The snares on Nirvana's "In Utero" are just TOO DAMN LOUD... As they were mastered.

Speaking of which, the slam and dynamics of this setup are insane, it makes low volume listening a pleasure, and high volume listening a pain. The pay off of cranking the volume is gone, it only results in TOO MUCH SOUND, which is correct. You shouldn't have to crank the volume to enjoy your music.

I've been listening to the O2 set to max volume and controlling the volume with the uDac 2's line out. I think it sounds better this way, rhythm is slightly more cohesive and instruments are a tad better separated when the O2 is unleashed.

This setup is a window into the sound, there is nothing in the way here, you are listening to the recording.

Clearly the O2 took this system to the next level. But the cables helped also, they provided that last bit of clarity that pushed it over the top. Now, time for a DIY USB DAC, with line out volume control, and we'll be good to go.

HD650 owners who complain of "veil" should build this amp, and this cable, you won't be disappointed.

Oct 29, 2011 at 4:49 AM Post #3 of 11
All about the amp ~ so many misunderstood headphones out there.

HD650 and K601 are two somewhat common victims of mismatch or
use with poor amping.

They're completely different headphones under the right circumstances.

Oct 31, 2011 at 1:03 AM Post #4 of 11

Quote:
I've been saying for years that amps are veiled, not the HD-650.
The "veil" lifts with the stock cable, too, given a good amp.

Yep, I've been listening to the HD650 for about a day with the copper cables and no doubt their character is changed with those & the O2 as well. I do miss that lush sennheiser sound at times, so it's hard to say I'm 100% happy. Certainly, all music sounds on average, better with the O2, while a few specific kinds of music or even tracks sound better with the uDac + silver cables. 

It really depends on how you listen and what you want from your headphones. Realistic vs colored. The problem here of course is what is real? I know most studio recordings are not completely real, they're manipulated, so I find that I much prefer live performances of almost all pop/rock.

Mar 23, 2012 at 4:57 AM Post #6 of 11
No, not really. I'd say the O2 is average at best. Some people are very sensitive to treble, some aren't, personally, I couldn't listen to the O2 for extended periods as it's too bright. I find that it colors the sound towards the bright side of things. The O2 is a strange amp and rather than try to deal with or understand that strangeness I decided it's just flawed and put it on the shelf. If you want one I can sell you one fully completed with case, and everything for $100. PM for more info.

Mar 23, 2012 at 12:07 PM Post #7 of 11

Quote:
No, not really. I'd say the O2 is average at best. Some people are very sensitive to treble, some aren't, personally, I couldn't listen to the O2 for extended periods as it's too bright. I find that it colors the sound towards the bright side of things. The O2 is a strange amp and rather than try to deal with or understand that strangeness I decided it's just flawed and put it on the shelf. If you want one I can sell you one fully completed with case, and everything for $100. PM for more info.

ROFL, what a total 180. Too bright? It colors? Strange amp? I don't think the O2 is capable of such things. It I wasn't waiting on the O2 Amp/Dac I would snatch this from you! What kool-aid have you been drinking.

Mar 23, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #10 of 11

Quote:
O2? Colored, impossible! I have the O2, and they actually reduced treble and created a more refined bass IMHO.

No, every amp in the world is colored to some extent, not necessarily audibly. The problem with this line of thinking is the "IMHO." The concept of creating a transparent amp is completely scientific with no room for subjectivity. Given enough time though, the human mind can adapt to make almost anything be "neutral." You could just as easily be used to an amp with increased treble. 

Mar 23, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #11 of 11
I have tried my friend's O2 with my HD 650 and yes I agree it does make the sound a lot more 'clear'.

Mind you I was using e7+e9 before I tried the O2.

One thing I did find however, was that I had much easier time listening to e7+e9 combo for extended listening. Nonetheless I keep on craving for that clear sound and base impact given to HD650 with O2 amp ^^

I sent the pm btw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back