HD650s are made out of...
Dec 18, 2004 at 2:58 PM Post #46 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim D
Also the trend seems to be that HD650 drivers 'lack' a brass ring (I also find it funny that an 'omission' turned out to be an upgrade of sorts). Maybe the part was called 'brass veil'
biggrin.gif

I really have no idea where the brass ring is located on the phones, is it the one that looks like a damper behind 580/600's pole piece ?

Sorry for posting pics again, but I'm sure their drivers are different, 650 have smaller 'inner' diameter:
650.jpg

While 580 inner ring diameter is definitely larger:
580.jpg

BTW this Irish 650 have exact same fine silk screen as 580. edit: Curiously, there's a number "33" etched on the dome.

Hmm ... if only that brass is the difference, it will be the ultimate tweak... Senn will send 580 driver for 650 replacement with a small instruction note - remove brass ring before installation.
eggosmile.gif

Dec 18, 2004 at 3:12 PM Post #47 of 74
Although on the roll of removing every phones pads, I don't have the heart to remove the inner protector of 595, anyway... the drivers look more similar to 650 than 580 in that they have smaller inner diameter. before flaming, I do realize their drivers' impedances are different. I also found that the inner side of 595 velour pads were covered with pleather which might give the effect of 'smaller / narrower sound' as sound actually came from relatively smaller opening.

Dec 18, 2004 at 4:00 PM Post #48 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nak Man

BTW this Irish 650 have exact same fine silk screen as 580. edit: Curiously, there's a number "33" etched on the dome.

Same etching as a Rolling Rock beer bottle...coincidence, or something more?
biggrin.gif

Actually, Nak Man, the image of the irish 650's you posted is identical to my newest pair and confirms another incident of "mesh" screens in a 650...whew, I can now back down on the meds I take for paranoid schizophrenia, cause I'm not alone.

Dec 18, 2004 at 4:08 PM Post #49 of 74
All these pictures have grasped my curiosity to the point that I can no longer keep myself from offering my own small contribution.

Nak Man, you gave it the final boost by telling about HD595 - thank you
tongue.gif

Here's a photo of a nude HD555 from an online review I found.
apart640.jpg

Doesn't the driver look a lot like that of HD650 (missing brass ring...)?
If only it were all depending on the looks...
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 18, 2004 at 5:17 PM Post #50 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by zdogg
whew, I can now back down on the meds I take for paranoid schizophrenia, cause I'm not alone.

... and we can increase our Rolling Rock intake.
580smile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
Nak Man, you gave it the final boost by telling about HD595 - thank you
tongue.gif

This makes me more nervous waiting your flame on 595 once your phones arrive.
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
Doesn't the driver look a lot like that of HD650 (missing brass ring...)?

Yup sure is. If we can only replace that whitish screen with fine mesh one and replace pleather backing on pads with velour !

Dec 18, 2004 at 7:07 PM Post #51 of 74
Nak Man, when did you get the hd650's shown in the picture with the mesh screens? Post-september?

I popped mine open again, no "33" on mine
mad.gif

I'm not gonna let that stop me from drinking the Rolling Rock anyways, though
biggrin.gif

Dec 18, 2004 at 10:12 PM Post #52 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nak Man
This makes me more nervous waiting your flame on 595 once your phones arrive.
tongue.gif

No...don't be,
tongue.gif
at worst I'd only have myself to blame, for impulsiveness in favouring inspiration - because that's the safest criterion, as I hear is commonly approved in the whereabouts here...
cool.gif

As an add-on to the previous post:
from the photo, the so-called "surround sound reflector" (?) of HD555 (the black protuberance near the driver) is easily noticeable.
And, since I'm also on the edge of paranoia... the plastic deflector on top of the driver's dome is clearly different (than 580,600,650's), more 'edgy'.
What will be the use of this, will it change the highs, make them more edgy as well?!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 19, 2004 at 12:26 AM Post #53 of 74
Quote:

I popped mine open again, no "33" on mine

Each driver has different numbers. The Senn 600 and 580 drivers had those numbers too, IIRC, and in some cases the numbers were different even in one phone.

But beware, a 33 etched on the driver will have different sonic response to any other number due to the symmetry and the shape of the letter 3 that causes the protrusions to produce miniscule vortices that greatly enhance the texture of the soundwaves that travel to your eardrums... In effect, the "33" 650s are special editions, with enhanced sonic signatures that allow for greater soundstage, no midbass hump, and effortless highs.

I wish...
tongue.gif

Dec 19, 2004 at 1:27 AM Post #54 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by doobooloo
But beware, a 33 etched on the driver will have different sonic response to any other number due to the symmetry and the shape of the letter 3 that causes the protrusions to produce miniscule vortices that greatly enhance the texture of the soundwaves that travel to your eardrums... In effect, the "33" 650s are special editions, with enhanced sonic signatures that allow for greater soundstage, no midbass hump, and effortless highs.

Darn! It figures MY pair wouldn't have a 33 and therefore would sound less good. There's only one solution: I'll send it off to be modified...surely someone who frequents the DIY forum can forcibly carve a "33" onto my drivers (maybe with the business-end of a soldering iron?), thereby taming the midrange hump and expanding the soundstage. Any takers, I'm willing to pay $$$
600smile.gif

Dec 19, 2004 at 1:45 AM Post #55 of 74
Quote:

Darn! It figures MY pair wouldn't have a 33 and therefore would sound less good. There's only one solution: I'll send it off to be modified...surely someone who frequents the DIY forum can forcibly carve a "33" onto my drivers (maybe with the business-end of a soldering iron?), thereby taming the midrange hump and expanding the soundstage. Any takers, I'm willing to pay $$$
600smile.gif

very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 19, 2004 at 3:35 AM Post #56 of 74
You Sennheiser guys are obviously nuts... in a good way
600smile.gif

I'm still waiting on the HD700 that will blow my wallet away and demand, nay, extort OPA 637's from an amp.
tongue.gif

Dec 19, 2004 at 4:02 AM Post #57 of 74
k1000smile.gif
Why stop at the 700's, set your sights higher still...when the HD 850's are released, I can see this thread revived:

"Everyone, I was curious, I know the HD850's mesh screens are made of platinum-gold alloy, but I was wondering if anyone knew whether the diamond acoustic baffle was natural diamond or lab-synthesized? Because it is my understanding that natural diamond has a more liquid midrange..."

evil_smiley.gif

Dec 19, 2004 at 4:12 AM Post #58 of 74
HD650s are made of the stolen, withered souls of the innocents which are taken by half a hundred evil archmages employed by Sennheiser, and drained of every ounce of life-giving energy and infused with darkness from a font of malevolent power. XD

Dec 19, 2004 at 4:35 AM Post #59 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by aeriyn
HD650s are made of the stolen, withered souls of the innocents which are taken by half a hundred evil archmages employed by Sennheiser, and drained of every ounce of life-giving energy and infused with darkness from a font of malevolent power. XD

Yeah yeah, that's what the marketing folks and Sennheiser would have us believe, but you and I both know the souls in question aren't really withered...you can't believe all the marketing hype
tongue.gif

Dec 19, 2004 at 5:31 PM Post #60 of 74
Quote:

Nak Man, when did you get the hd650's shown in the picture with the mesh screens? Post-september?

Just got them this month ... almost latest acquisition save for that very tempting philips 890 - so that I can use the hanger for 650.
600smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back