HD650s are made out of...
Dec 16, 2004 at 9:02 PM Post #2 of 74
Some high-charm plastic.
tongue.gif

[edit] Actually the driver housing is supposed to be made of carbon fiber or something of that sort, though, IIRC... But the phone itself is just plastic.

Dec 16, 2004 at 9:03 PM Post #3 of 74
seems like plastic to me.

the product page mentions a titanium finish, but I think that it all it is... some paint that looks titanium.

Dec 16, 2004 at 9:50 PM Post #6 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by doobooloo
Some high-charm plastic.
tongue.gif

[edit] Actually the driver housing is supposed to be made of carbon fiber or something of that sort, though, IIRC... But the phone itself is just plastic.

I think certain pieces of the headphone are a plastic composite that contains a higher than normal percentage of carbon. It is not carbon fiber.

BTW, the Qualia 010 headband uses what looks like real carbon fiber with a clear lacquer finish and it looks sweet.

Dec 16, 2004 at 9:53 PM Post #8 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canman
I think certain pieces of the headphone are a plastic composite that contains a higher than normal percentage of carbon. It is not carbon fiber.

BTW, the Qualia 010 headband uses what looks like real carbon fiber with a clear lacquer finish and it looks sweet.

Absolutely. It certainly gives a Real Carbon Fiber feel to the can (light as a feather too) and the clear finish gets out of the way of the look of the carbon while protecting our fingers from those nasty stiff fiber bristles. Ever have something made of carbon fiber splinter in your hands? Not fun.

Dec 17, 2004 at 3:02 AM Post #10 of 74
It's supposed to be carbon fiber. It's some kind of metal material. Considering it's weight, I believe it. It's NOT plastic. It dents, plastic does not dent.

Dec 17, 2004 at 3:11 AM Post #11 of 74
For your site can't you just say "metal and plastic" or "plastic with metal grill"?
confused.gif
I think it's overselling the headphone to say it's made of metal when the cups are made out of plastic. I'd be dissapointed if i read that, bought some, and realsied it was actually plastic

Dec 17, 2004 at 3:16 AM Post #12 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by hugz
For your site can't you just say "metal and plastic" or "plastic with metal grill"?
confused.gif
I think it's overselling the headphone to say it's made of metal when the cups are made out of plastic. I'd be dissapointed if i read that, bought some, and realsied it was actually plastic

I have the cup materials types in a table in the database. I think it's assumed that pretty much everything these days has some plastic in them. Maybe i'll change the description of the field to "cup types". Or maybe i'll add a "combination" type.

I don't think the site needs to have every little piece of information about headphones in it. I doubt people would really mind, plus if they don't do a bit of research themselves they deserve what they get.

Dec 17, 2004 at 4:08 AM Post #13 of 74
Seems to be plastic to me. The finish flakes off around the midpoint of the headband very rapidly as the headphone is used more often. Underneath it is black plastic, or something so close to plastic that it's pointless to think of it as anything else.

Certainly much better than having a headphone made entirely of plated metal. . . 70s, anyone? (Grados don't count because they are a minimalist design with wood earcups).

Cheers,
Geek

Dec 17, 2004 at 4:32 AM Post #15 of 74
If it's like the HD-600, the grills are metal, the removable housing that the drivers are part of are fiber-reinforced plastic (like the stuff fiberglass axe and hammer shafts are made from) although if the fiber filler is glass or carbon I've no clue other than the marketing spew. I'd assume the rest of the headphone also uses FRP, but I'm not going to be breaking bits of plastic off it to dissolve and see if it's got fibers in it.
600smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back