HD650's a good choice?
Sep 24, 2007 at 4:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

gnychis

500+ Head-Fier
Hey all,

I'm looking for something better than my HD497's for at desk and at home listening. The E500's are *great* for portable listening... it blocks out all the noise I want them to block out, and they sound/look great. But at home having something shoved in your ears for hours, even though they are comfortable, can be annoying
smily_headphones1.gif

So... I was looking for some feedback on HD650s. There is a pair used for ~$250 in the FS forum that I think I'm first in line for that I'm very seriously considering picking up. Is there anything else I might want to consider, anything comparable or better for the price?

Thanks!
George

Sep 24, 2007 at 4:17 AM Post #2 of 18
Unless you have a seriously nice setup (my old setup of: iPod 5G - ALO dock - RSA Hornet couldn't do it for squat), the HD650 will have one-note bass, and I won't sound as "organic" as it could be on high-end setups.

They are also open headphones, so proceed with caution when using in some environments.
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by gnychis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey all,

I'm looking for something better than my HD497's for at desk and at home listening. The E500's are *great* for portable listening... it blocks out all the noise I want them to block out, and they sound/look great. But at home having something shoved in your ears for hours, even though they are comfortable, can be annoying
smily_headphones1.gif

So... I was looking for some feedback on HD650s. There is a pair used for ~$250 in the FS forum that I think I'm first in line for that I'm very seriously considering picking up. Is there anything else I might want to consider, anything comparable or better for the price?

Thanks!
George

Sep 24, 2007 at 4:21 AM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unless you have a seriously nice setup (my old setup of: iPod 5G - ALO dock - RSA Hornet couldn't do it for squat), the HD650 will have one-note bass, and I won't sound as "organic" as it could be on high-end setups.

They are also open headphones, so proceed with caution when using in some environments.
wink.gif

hmmm... that doesn't sound too positive
biggrin.gif
one note bass??

Well... all headphones could probably sound a bit better with high end setups, they don't sound good with mid-range setups?

Sep 24, 2007 at 4:43 AM Post #4 of 18
Well that dépend, some headphone dont benefit that much from amplification and source as other. The senn are really dependent on the setup. A pair like the Denon D2000 sound just as good from my friend cheap sound card than they did with my nice setup. So if you are looking for a one pair job headphones that will do it good without investing in a great setup i would go for the Denon or some Grado if you like the fast punchy type of sound

Sep 24, 2007 at 4:57 AM Post #5 of 18
I dont really believe that the HD650s have one note bass. Even on a 5g ipod or other unassisted headphone jack, the cans sounds quite good and the bass is pretty good and prevalent. However, when you connect it to a real amplifier, the sounds really comes alive. When plugged into my amp and DAC, the sound really comes alive, but that doesnt mean it sounds like complete crap on a "lesser" setup, they still sound much better than most people's (as in mainstream) sound setups. Sure, Grados or other lower-impedence cans are easier to drive and are a bit less dependant on source. I would say go for it. I had to choose between selling either my RS2s or my HD650s and I chose to sell the RS2s because they are a big less practical (less confortable, shorter, fat cable). Even though they are harder to power, they still sound great and are the sound signature I would go for. Grados are amazing for rock music, but since I listen to just about everything and have my cans on for extended periods of time, the 650s take the crown because , for me, listening to a very upfront sound can get fatiguing to my ears, and the 650s have never been uncomfortable in any way. They always sound buttery smooth, even when you arent getting the best out of them. Remember, they scale very well so any upgrades you might do will be more noticeable. my 2 cents...

Sep 24, 2007 at 5:09 AM Post #6 of 18
they are abit warmer than hd580. i kinda like the hd580 more but im adjusting to the warmer and darker sound of hd650.

Sep 24, 2007 at 5:20 AM Post #7 of 18
Your tomahawk should be able to drive the Hd650 fairly well so you should be able to enjoy these cans right off the bat. But like the other guy said, the HD650s are 'open' cans, which means you'll hear external noise/sound from your surrounding and it will have poor isolation...

Sep 24, 2007 at 5:24 AM Post #8 of 18
thanks for all the feedback, i appreciate it
smily_headphones1.gif

right on the isolation, I'm assuming its going to be the same as my 497's since they are also open. When I use my 497's, I'm not going for isolation... so I don't think it will be an issue.

Side track, whats a similar headphone thats closed? I tried browsing headphones on headphonereviews.org but most closed ones didn't seem comparable to the 650s

Sep 24, 2007 at 5:39 AM Post #9 of 18
The Beyer DT880s are considered semi-open and are highly regarded by many people. On another note, I myself use the HD600s and although discontinued can be had for less than the 650s. They are the best phones I have heard since my AKG K340s for all kinds of music. It is really up to you and what you want to spend, if you use an amp etc. Even the small portable amp I use with my 600s makes them sound wonderful to me and I have the future amp upgrade to look forward to. As many in this forum say the 600s and 650s "scale" well and seem to get better the more you improve anything upstream. Hope this helps a bit and doesn't confuse the issue further.

Sep 24, 2007 at 5:55 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellenback /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Beyer DT880s are considered semi-open and are highly regarded by many people. On another note, I myself use the HD600s and although discontinued can be had for less than the 650s. They are the best phones I have heard since my AKG K340s for all kinds of music. It is really up to you and what you want to spend, if you use an amp etc. Even the small portable amp I use with my 600s makes them sound wonderful to me and I have the future amp upgrade to look forward to. As many in this forum say the 600s and 650s "scale" well and seem to get better the more you improve anything upstream. Hope this helps a bit and doesn't confuse the issue further.

so you actually prefer hd600 to hd650?

Sep 24, 2007 at 6:06 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

hmmm... that doesn't sound too positive
biggrin.gif
one note bass??

Well... all headphones could probably sound a bit better with high end setups, they don't sound good with mid-range setups?

I consider my DAC1 with my balanced 650's a mid range set up, considering that the XRL output weren't even made for headphones. But drive them very well..

Sep 24, 2007 at 8:58 AM Post #12 of 18
is imod 5.5- alo jumbocryodock with hornet M not considered as good setup for hd 650?, I mean is it good enough for making it worth upgrading the cable on my hd 650 ? (I want a portable amp, wont go any bigger then my hornet) should I look at other cans or upg. my hd 650 ?
I like the sound but not enough to be satified and stop here : ]

Sep 24, 2007 at 12:15 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellenback /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On another note, I myself use the HD600s and although discontinued can be had for less than the 650s.

The HD600 isn't discontinued. I agree with you on their qualities though :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by kamal007
so you actually prefer hd600 to hd650?

Lots of people do. The HD650 isn't a direct upgrade to the HD600. Although the HD650 is technically slightly more advanced, the headphones' sound signatures are different enough for people to sometimes prefer the more neutral and energetic sound of the 600s to the warmer, bassier and more refined 650s. They're both great phones, try both if you can and pick one.

Polls have shown that about 40% of voters like the HD600 as good as or better than the HD650.

Sep 24, 2007 at 5:04 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

thanks for all the feedback, i appreciate it
smily_headphones1.gif

right on the isolation, I'm assuming its going to be the same as my 497's since they are also open. When I use my 497's, I'm not going for isolation... so I don't think it will be an issue.

Side track, whats a similar headphone thats closed? I tried browsing headphones on headphonereviews.org but most closed ones didn't seem comparable to the 650s

I went from hd497 -> hd580 (amped by sound card) -> hd580 (pimeta) -> hd580 (M3) -> hd650 (M3)

Each upgrade was definitely better, and I don't regret any of it. The hd650 without an amp are still undoubtedly better than the hd497, but if you aren't planning on upgrading the rest of your equipment anytime soon, I don't see a reason to jump to the top of the line

Sep 26, 2007 at 9:25 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by zachary80 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you aren't planning on upgrading the rest of your equipment anytime soon, I don't see a reason to jump to the top of the line

errrr.... i couldn't resist!!

hd650-desk.jpg

All I can say is, wow these things sound amazing. There is obviously no comparison to my 497's... well, there is, but its a comparison that nobody wants to read
wink.gif
Not only that, but the 497's are amazingly uncomfortable. I felt like they were going to squeeze my brain out.

They also sound just fine through my tomahawk. Could they sound better with a higher end amp? Maybe, but the sound fits my needs
smily_headphones1.gif

Happy with the purchase, thanks for the feedback all!

- George

Users who are viewing this thread

Back