HD650: Who Cares?
Oct 24, 2003 at 3:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 93

grinch

Cognac....icky.Scotch....icky.Vodka....
does anybody, like me, read through all these hd650 threads and think to themselves, "who cares?" ?

i know that there's got to be a few people out there that simply aren't interested because of the fact that they either own superior equipment (hp-1000, r10, etc.) or they just don't care about the latest sennheiser product.

so anyway, i figured i'd start a thread for the people that are content enough with their systems to not be interested.

i, for one, could care less. the recent ct meet reminded me of my contempt for the hd600 and from reading the hd650 impressions, it seems improved on what always grated me.. however i really don't think they'll ever be what i want sound-wise. i must say they are great looking though.

Oct 24, 2003 at 3:20 PM Post #2 of 93
I'm not particularly interested in the HD650s and have absolutely no intention to buy a pair in the forseeable future. Maybe never.

Love the sound of the HD580/600 tho, it's as simple as that -- no other reason why I count myself a member of Team Sennheiser. Superior/inferior isn't worth a damn when you genuinely like the sound of a pair of cans.

I agree with the gist of this thread... there's a big, steaming pile of hype dropping onto this board and personally I've never cared for hype of any sort.

Oct 24, 2003 at 3:20 PM Post #3 of 93
Yup.

Oct 24, 2003 at 3:25 PM Post #4 of 93
Yeah, I agree
smily_headphones1.gif

I see it the same way I see the latest bandwagon or headphone de jour.

Oct 24, 2003 at 3:32 PM Post #5 of 93
I for one couldn't care less. I own the HD-600 and I haven't touched them since I got my Omegas. They are great cans but in comaparison with the Stax they do not have a chance. Ofcourse they are a lot cheaper and all that crap but I don't care...
rolleyes.gif

If somebody can't wait for the HD-650 then good for them but I am not the least bit interested.

Oct 24, 2003 at 3:43 PM Post #6 of 93
I don't find the HP-1000's at all superior to the HD600's. I own both and listen through a headphone system in the $11K price range. I use the senns more than the HP-2's. So if there's a set of headphones out there that can give me the same type sound as the HD600's, only a little better, I'm interested. With the lack of good headphones out there I'm curious any time anyone shows a new product that is at the top or near the top of there product line. Mainly though it's just about if you really like a product, your going to be happy if they give you a better choice.

Oct 24, 2003 at 3:53 PM Post #7 of 93
What a ridiculous thread!

Head-Fi exists, so people can talk about headphones and audio equipment in general. New products usually create the greatest interest. What's wrong with that?

And fewtech, would you mind explaining to me how HD650 reviews by Jan Meier, jude or JaZZ qualify as "a big, steaming pile of hype dropping onto this board"?

Guys, if you have something to say about how bad and worthless the HD650 really is, why don't you post in the review threads?

Oh, you can't because you haven't heard the headphone? In that case, feel free to just shut up.

Oct 24, 2003 at 3:59 PM Post #8 of 93
[size=xx-small] Quote:

Originally posted by tom hankins
I don't find the HP-1000's at all superior to the HD600's. I own both and listen through a headphone system in the $11K price range. I use the senns more than the HP-2's. So if there's a set of headphones out there that can give me the same type sound as the HD600's, only a little better, I'm interested. With the lack of good headphones out there I'm curious any time anyone shows a new product that is at the top or near the top of there product line. Mainly though it's just about if you really like a product, your going to be happy if they give you a better choice.

[/size]tom hankins, like you, I also own a Grado HP-1 (it's pending sale to a friend of mine), and also do not find it at all superior to the HD-600 or HD-650. I spent a lot of time getting to know the HP-1 in a variety of rigs, and it's a very good headphone; but, after all was said and done, it ended up sitting in a padded laptop computer sleeve on a shelf.

So, in keeping with the spirit of this thread, and in answer to the thread title's question: I care.

Oct 24, 2003 at 4:00 PM Post #9 of 93
Quote:

Originally posted by Tomcat

Head-Fi exists, so people can talk about headphones and audio equipment in general. New products usually create the greatest interest. What's wrong with that?

And fewtech, would you mind explaining to me how HD650 reviews by Jan Meier, jude or JaZZ qualify as "a big, steaming pile of hype dropping onto this board"?

Guys, if you have something to say about how bad and worthless the HD650 really is, why don't you post in the review threads?

Oh, you can't because you haven't heard the headphone? In that case, feel free to just shut up.

I totally agree with your response in this thread, Tomcat.

Head-Fiers,
Most of you who are dissing the HD650 have never even heard that 'phone. If y'all continue to dis a new HD-something without even auditioning it, then you might as well shut up with that one big steaming pile of HD-CRAPping that you were going to unleash upon the rest of us.

Happy listening,
Eagle_Driver

Oct 24, 2003 at 4:03 PM Post #10 of 93
Quote:

First off, you consistently get my username wrong. This is the last time I'm ever going to answer one of your posts until you get it right, if you can't read 6 alphabetic letters properly then you've got a problem.

Anyway -- straw man argument. I never said that the reviews had anything to do with the hype, or are even related -- you said that, and put the words into my mouth.

What's more, this is an "I don't care about the HD650 talk on Head-Fi" thread, not an "I think the HD650s are bad and worthless" thread. Somehow there are always people around who have a born talent for missing the point -- it never ceases to amaze me.

Oct 24, 2003 at 4:08 PM Post #11 of 93
Hehehe.. well, I definitely agree with what's being said... head-fi is a forum meant to discuss these type of things. In general, you can never diss what you haven't heard, right?

Whenever you get a major headphone release from a company like Sennheiser, there's bound to be a huge amount of interest and hype generated around it. Just because a person doesn't feel particular convinced by the hype, doesn't really make the hype completely irrelevant either.

I think a lot of people will love the HD650... because it's got what they're looking for, meanwhile there will always be a debate to whether HD650 is worth the price premium to other people. I think that's a more valid argument than dissing the HD650 because of the hype... After all, they just come out with a product, they do a little marketing, but most of this hype is probably our own fault, no?
smily_headphones1.gif

Personally, I'm not too excited to see/listen to a HD650, because I was already moving away from the Sennheiser's signature sound anyway. I'm looking forward to eventually getting an Audio Technica A900... Not that the Sennheiser's signature sound is bad at all, I was just tired of it.. need something new and exciting in my life... yeah...

Oct 24, 2003 at 4:10 PM Post #12 of 93
I think a lot of people just got excited about a new headphone from Sennheiser coming out. Even I was excited about it just because it's a new hi-fi headphone on the market, and I generally don't like Senns. I would expect there to be this much if not more discussion/hype about a new headphone on a headphone forum
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 24, 2003 at 4:54 PM Post #13 of 93
I do see the point of the thread. With a list price of $500, many feel disinterested in laying out more cash for a potentially minor improvement (in comparison to the HD580/600 difference) based on the reviews and comments so far on the HD650. So they will make do with their HD580 or HD600. Grinch is attempting to determine how many fit into this category. If you are going for the HD650 no matter what, then you are not part of the category.

Oct 24, 2003 at 4:58 PM Post #14 of 93
You care enough to make this post in the first place. A more accurate statement would be that many people are at the very least interested or "care", but many don't care enough to actually *buy* them. There is a difference in personal expenditure when it comes to caring enough to read a few posts on a product, and caring enough to *buy* the product.

I think most people care enough to want to read impressions on a new product just like any new product. Or would people rather read more of the same impressions on the same old products? Buying or wanting to buy a product is different...plenty of people here read reviews of products they have no real interest in buying.

Oct 24, 2003 at 5:05 PM Post #15 of 93
Quote:

Well done Tomcat. I couldn't say better.

There's no hype, it's just that maybe the best dynamic phones in the world will be soon available for all HD-600 lovers. I don't wanna play the 'elitist' kind of guy but most of you cannot imagine how far HD-600s goes, so i do care too about HD-650 if it's a step ( even a small one ) above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back