HD650 vs SR225? SR60?!?!?
Feb 20, 2005 at 2:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

chia-pet

100+ Head-Fier
Of the people who have extensively tried both Grado SR225 and Senn HD650 (with whatever cable), which did you prefer and why? I would prefer if the answers were one or the other, as these threads are usually prone to produce "I like them both equally depending on my music or for variation" responses.

I'm trying to decide whether the SR225 should be purchased over the SR60 (the SR60 looks very lucrative with GS's recent proclamation of satisfaction with these phones
biggrin.gif
). I'm satisfied with my HD650s, but would like to extensively try a Grado phone just for the sake of it.

Feb 20, 2005 at 2:22 AM Post #2 of 30
If you like a smoother, more laid-back sound, and your preferences aren't toward rock, I'd go with the HD-650.

If you like a more in your face sound that is exciting and involving, go for the SR225.

Personally, this is a clear and easy choice to me, they have very distinct and different sound signatures. Just depends on what floats your boat.

Feb 20, 2005 at 2:25 AM Post #3 of 30
I was in a similar situation as you tilll only a couple of days back. I won a set of HD650s off ebay for £180 inc postage (UK seller, and from Uk myself)...still waiting to receive them. I had pretty much made up my mind that those phones should be for me, yet I still wanted to try a Grado.

Now since Grados are so expensive to get hold of here in the UK, I was looking at the MS-2s at $300 ~ £150 shipped. I just couldn't help myself, spent so much time asking myself how would they sound?
confused.gif

I guess I might have to wait a while for them but my HD650s should arrive in the next couple of days. I figured, if I like both each in their own way then I'll try to keep them both. If not I'll have to sell a set. But at least I will know how they sound.
600smile.gif

Feb 20, 2005 at 3:16 AM Post #4 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by chia-pet
Of the people who have extensively tried both Grado SR225 and Senn HD650 (with whatever cable), which did you prefer and why? I would prefer if the answers were one or the other, as these threads are usually prone to produce "I like them both equally depending on my music or for variation" responses.

Judging from your equipment list, I think SR-225 should fit your bill. SR-60 is excellent beginner's phone, but on properly power system, SR-225 did everything better except for the price tag. To my ears, HD650 is most liquid sounding phone when powered by tube amps. Female vocal will never be the same without HD650 where as SR-225 works well to spice up nearly all types of music. I ended up buying RS-2, which I call it a woodified SR-225. Nowadays, I use HD650 for classical/jazz/vocal and Grado for alternative.

Feb 20, 2005 at 3:58 AM Post #5 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by go_vtec
Judging from your equipment list, I think SR-225 should fit your bill. SR-60 is excellent beginner's phone, but on properly power system, SR-225 did everything better except for the price tag. To my ears, HD650 is most liquid sounding phone when powered by tube amps. Female vocal will never be the same without HD650 where as SR-225 works well to spice up nearly all types of music. I ended up buying RS-2, which I call it a woodified SR-225. Nowadays, I use HD650 for classical/jazz/vocal and Grado for alternative.

How do you find the SR-225s to compare to the CD-3000s?

Feb 20, 2005 at 4:09 AM Post #6 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide
How do you find the SR-225s to compare to the CD-3000s?

SR-225 has more energy and impact that can be felt when powered by an amp. Bass of 225 is fuller and hard hitting, but lacks details and depth of CD3K's bass. Treble is more crisp and livelier sounding on 225, but 225's treble doesn't extend as high as CD3K. To my ears, CD3K sounds more extended, natural and detailed, but less exciting than SR-225. I guess that is why people call Grado the ROCK cans.

Feb 20, 2005 at 4:52 AM Post #7 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by go_vtec
SR-225 has more energy and impact that can be felt when powered by an amp. Bass of 225 is fuller and hard hitting, but lacks details and depth of CD3K's bass. Treble is more crisp and livelier sounding on 225, but 225's treble doesn't extend as high as CD3K. To my ears, CD3K sounds more extended, natural and detailed, but less exciting than SR-225. I guess that is why people call Grado the ROCK cans.

Hmm... similar to my own impressions. Have you checked out my thread on the topic? It's such a hard choice...

Feb 20, 2005 at 5:06 AM Post #8 of 30
I've got both (see sig), and the descriptions you've read about them are pretty spot on. I would only add that the 650's have an ethereal spatial quality on well recorded (and non-rock) music that is just unbelieveable. You really know you're listening to something special, assuming of course your source and amplification are up to task.

The 225's however are the most 'fun' cans I've ever heard. I was just making a fool of myself rocking out to Hendrix - Axis Bold as Love with the Grados a while ago, when my wife walked in on me
rs1smile.gif
I can't say exactly how much the headphile recable has contributed to this spirit, but I can verify that it added a liquidity and balance to the sound that was NOT there before. Larry knows what he's doing...

All in all, I'm very happy to have both, but if forced at gunpoint to choose only one, I'd probably have to give a VERY slight edge to the Senn's. It would be heartbreaking to let go of those sweet 225's, and all they bring to the table, but I could live with slightly more music through the 650's.

Feb 20, 2005 at 5:18 AM Post #9 of 30
Quote:

I'm trying to decide whether the SR225 should be purchased over the SR60 (the SR60 looks very lucrative with GS's recent proclamation of satisfaction with these phones
biggrin.gif
). I'm satisfied with my HD650s, but would like to extensively try a Grado phone just for the sake of it.

The problem is if you take into account the price of each can then it is harder. Let's take a look. I love my 225's and I love my 650's+ZU. Now both cans IMO sound similar to my reference can. The 225's are cans in grado current range which sound most like the RS-1. It's just the RS-1's have more colouration and more bass impact. The 650+ZU also sounds like the RS-1's but with less bass impact. This is due to the fact I consider the ZU cable more forward sounding. The bass impact of the 650+ZU is maybe more accurate. But the 225's are really fun. They will never possess the soundstage of the 650's where the sound surrounds you but then again the soundstage of the 225's is in your head. That means you feel like your on stage playing with the performers. Now you choose.

The better technical phone is the 650 but if you take price into it then the 225's would be a good choice. Also consider the MS-2's. I think the MS-2's would suit you more than the 225's. But I like the 225's because I am more of a "on stage" person.

Feb 20, 2005 at 5:29 AM Post #10 of 30
I already own the HD650s. >_< I was just wondering if anyone actually owned both cans and--if you had to pick just ONE--which of the two cans would you choose? I ask because it will help me decide whether to go for the SR225 or just the SR60.

thanks guys!

Feb 20, 2005 at 5:32 AM Post #11 of 30
Quote:

I already own the HD650s. >_< I was just wondering if anyone actually owned both cans and--if you had to pick just ONE--which of the two cans would you choose? I ask because it will help me decide whether to go for the SR225 or just the SR60.

thanks guys!

Oh sorry. If I had to choose then the 225's. Why? If you like this headphone then it will lead on to the Rs-1's. If you don't like the 225's chances are you won't like the RS-1's. Tried partnering the 225's with the EMP from that moment on I knew I would never spend a single penny on speakers for years.

Feb 20, 2005 at 6:57 AM Post #12 of 30
Well I often prefer the 225's presentation for rock/pop music and portable applications, but if I had to pick one it would be the 650 (with any cable, even stock) - no question. The technical quality of the hd650 is vastly superior to the sr225, even more so with the Zu cable. If you listen to a wide variety of music, the sr225's flaws will become readily apparent next to the hd650 and honestly that's what bothered me about them - they're completely outclassed by the Senns. If you're going to go with a Grado, the hp-1000 or rs-1 (maybe even an sr-200) would be an excellent complement to the hd650 since they won't be outclassed by the Senns - in fact, I would say they outclass a stock hd650.

Feb 20, 2005 at 7:06 AM Post #13 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling
Well I often prefer the 225's presentation for rock/pop music and portable applications, but if I had to pick one it would be the 650 (with any cable, even stock) - no question. The technical quality of the hd650 is vastly superior to the sr225, even more so with the Zu cable. If you listen to a wide variety of music, the sr225's flaws will become readily apparent next to the hd650 and honestly that's what bothered me about them - they're completely outclassed by the Senns. If you're going to go with a Grado, the hp-1000 or rs-1 (maybe even an sr-200) would be an excellent compliment to the hd650 since they won't be outclassed by the Senns - in fact, I would say they outclass a stock hd650.

You are gonna be so happy with your HP-2's when they arrive. They have a very neutral sound yet for some reason I like them a lot even though I usually prefer Rs-1 type colouration sound

Feb 20, 2005 at 7:39 AM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
You are gonna be so happy with your HP-2's when they arrive. They have a very neutral sound yet for some reason I like them a lot even though I usually prefer Rs-1 type colouration sound

They did arrive this last week
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I am indeed thrilled with them, and I prefer them over the HD650 + Zu for most of my music at this point in time (Senns still rule for DVD movies, though). They are the cleanest, tightest sounding headphones/speakers I've ever heard - which is a thrill in its own right - plus they just look & feel so damn cool!

edit: omg, I was just now listening to some new CDs I picked up. I started with the HD650 + Zu out of an RKV (because I was too lazy to move across the room to the HP-2, lol), but that wasn't doing it for me so I switched over to the HP-2 out of an sr-71 and everything was absolutely incredible - it was an amazing experience. These cans deserve a far better source, and I'll feel guilty using them until I acquire that Meridian 588 I've been lusting for.

Feb 20, 2005 at 11:42 AM Post #15 of 30
So, would you guys say the RS-1s are vastly superior to the SR-225s? From what I've understood in the past few posts, the RS-1s are like a technically refined SR-225s, which sounds very interesting.

What I've found from the SR-225s I've borrowed is that they're very very "fun", as everyone agrees, but they're quite behind the CD-3000s or 2X-S in the technical (detail, resolution, naturalness, etc) department.

So do the RS-1s basically take the SR-225's fun factor and add the technical, "audiophile" features that it's missing next to the more expensive phones (CD-3000, 2X-S, HD-650)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back