HD650 vs. K702 vs. Pro 900
Sep 6, 2009 at 2:22 PM Post #46 of 57
I wasn´t that happy with the Ef-1 on my Pro 900. I didn´t try much tube rolling though I didn´t felt it was worth it based on how it sounded stock. Bass wasn´t as tight as I like it.

Sep 7, 2009 at 12:11 AM Post #47 of 57
Does having the AKG K701/2 recabled make a big difference in terms of sq?

Sep 8, 2009 at 11:08 AM Post #49 of 57
My PRO 900 sounds just fine, and is one of my best-sounding cans overall.

If you use it with extreme bass-heavy music, then you will actually hear the way it was recorded, which is not a fault of the 900, but just the way the music was mixed.

For me, the 900 is great for the vast majority of music listening, and is probably my most-used can right now.
The bass goes the DEEPEST of all the cans I have ever used.
Followed closely by the PRO 750 and HFI-780, in that order.
On a certain CD I use to test all of my newest cans, I hear deep bass parts that are completely missing with many well-known cans, which sound okay otherwise, but *I* know there is some lovely bass simply missing with those cans. Why should I want that? I guess "what you don't know won't hurt you" -- or, I say, "you don't know what you are missing!". Depends on how you look at it.

Sep 8, 2009 at 11:37 AM Post #50 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My PRO 900 sounds just fine, and is one of my best-sounding cans overall.

If you use it with extreme bass-heavy music, then you will actually hear the way it was recorded, which is not a fault of the 900, but just the way the music was mixed.

For me, the 900 is great for the vast majority of music listening, and is probably my most-used can right now.
The bass goes the DEEPEST of all the cans I have ever used.
Followed closely by the PRO 750 and HFI-780, in that order.
On a certain CD I use to test all of my newest cans, I hear deep bass parts that are completely missing with many well-known cans, which sound okay otherwise, but *I* know there is some lovely bass simply missing with those cans. Why should I want that? I guess "what you don't know won't hurt you" -- or, I say, "you don't know what you are missing!". Depends on how you look at it.

Those pro900 are sounding more and more tempting.

Sep 19, 2009 at 3:10 PM Post #52 of 57
I have the Sennheiser HD5800, AKG K 701 and Ultrasone Pro750, people say the HD580 is very similar to the HD600, and the Pro750 to the Pro900. They are all great cans in their own right. It depends too much on what and how you like to hear the most. I mostly use the Pro 750 when I want my music to be smooth, bassy, strong and very personal, its great for almost every genre. The K701 is for when I want a clearer sound, with impact, tight bass but not overpowered and very very detailed mids, high and lows. But the HD580 I find they are now getting some dust, since I use the Ultrasones and AKGs always now. I wouldn't say any of them is better than the other, like most people agree, but each do have they advantages and disadvantages. By the way AgainstTheGrain, I see you like Alicia Keys, did you know the sound director Walter Millsap, who has worked with her and many other great artist uses Ultrasone? specifically the Pro 750s.

Sep 19, 2009 at 3:26 PM Post #53 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by AgainstTheGrain
Is it worth the extra like $250?

Where do you live? The difference here (The Netherlands) is only about $40~50
confused.gif

Sep 19, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #55 of 57
I started with my HD580s and wanted to either find a set similar but better to get them replaced totally, or different enough to compliment them.

CD3000s were waaaaay to bright and peaky and unlistenable without heavy EQing, and when that was done it was a hollow, bloated version of HD580 so I had to let them go.

With my associated gears (lush/smooth sounding set of tubes on PPX, NOS DAC), I find K701 relatively uninvolving, a touch harsh at times and tinny sounding in the highs. Bass is I don't hear a whole lot of bass coming out of these, and I am far from a basshead. In my book, they are a bit bass shy and too analytical for a fun listen. Maybe they don't match well OTL amps? Not only the headband causes some serious pain if I wear them long enough, clamping force is much greater on these - maybe I should have stretched them with some books or something. The round shape of the earcups do not lend themselves to as comfy as their oval counterparts in terms of pressure distribution IMO.

HD580 with new drivers (should be identical to HD600) sound way more 'natural', coherent and fun in comparison. I am not sure if the only difference between the two senns is the amount of bass, but I think the differernce is enough to change the whole spectrum of perceived image of whatever you are listening to. There is a substantial amount of well-documented midbass presence in the background; depending on the song you are listening to, this may either add to the body, or come off as slightly muddy. Some midhighs probably get somewhat overshadowed by this midbass, contributing to a more rolled off kind of sound overall. Although I don't listen to much R&B these days, on tracks that are close to R&B than anything else I prefer HD650s for a more engaging and fuller sound. As I could not find no better substitute, HD650s are main phones at the moment. If it isn't a gross oversimplification, I will say HD580 feel more treble-driven compared to the bass-driven HD650s - you get to notice more treble nuances without the presence and authority of HD650s.

Keep in mind that people that have AB'ed HD580/650 with identical source, amping, cables and everything found very small differences. In my case, I have HD650 stock cable on the HD580s and an earlier version of APS cables on the HD650s.

Headband on the HD650 is tighter than the HD580's, could be just the amount of usage on my own sets. Still comfier than anything else I have used, barring the HD580s.

Recently I found two good alternatives in MS-1 and AD2000, but these are leaner in bass compared to HD650, plus I still like HD650 better for all-around use.

Everyone hears things differently, only your own ears will be the ultimate judge.

Sep 20, 2009 at 2:27 AM Post #56 of 57
If you are looking for bass and felt did not like the HD600 because of it then the HD650 would probably do the trick. I have not heard the Ultrasone but from previous Ultrasons I have heard I like them a good bit better than the HD650. The 650 was way too colored for me.

I ended up going with the 701's cause they where much closer to my listening tastes.

Sep 20, 2009 at 8:12 AM Post #57 of 57
As for 750 versus 900 for me it was definiatly worth it. I was sweating a lot during the burnin process and prior to KeeS modding it thinking I just burned 450 buck because it took quite a while for it to surpass the 750. But mid range, treble and also bass if you KeeS mod it is better. Soundstaging wider as well. It´s kind of what you expect from a soaped up 750. A bit better in every regard but still in the same school.

Of course it´s not twice as good as price may suggest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back