HD650 vs. K702 vs. Pro 900
Sep 2, 2009 at 12:05 AM Post #16 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by AgainstTheGrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I'm looking to add another can to my collection. The HD600 are lacking in bass so I'm looking to upgrade. Are the HD650 worth the upgrade? Price isn't an issue. But I want the best headphone of the three to suit my needs. I listen to Trance, Techno, hip hop, r&b, some rock some classical and some jazz. I need something that can do all these genres well. I want the bass to be there but not overpowering, something with good separation and good with vocals. I wanted to get the HD800 but they aren't available for dealer pricing yet so those are off my list until I can get a price break on them. Should I just wait for the HD800 instead? Only if they are worth it.

I havn't heard the K702, but i own the HD650 and the PRO900.

Without question, the PRO900 is much better with trance, techno and any kind of electronic, beat orientated music. In fact i havn't heard a better headphone for that style of music. For classical, jazz and rock i wouldn't be able to pick a winner. Guitars come through better on the HD650s, drums come through better on the PRO900s. They are actually quite similar sounding headphones. The main differences between the two i would list as follows.

PRO900 has more bass impact
PRO900 has a wider soundstage
PRO900 is more detailed
PRO900 is slightly smoother
HD650 has stronger mids
HD650 vocals are more upfront
HD650 is more neutral

Sep 2, 2009 at 2:05 AM Post #19 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Krackatus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I havn't heard the K702, but i own the HD650 and the PRO900.

Without question, the PRO900 is much better with trance, techno and any kind of electronic, beat orientated music. In fact i havn't heard a better headphone for that style of music. For classical, jazz and rock i wouldn't be able to pick a winner. Guitars come through better on the HD650s, drums come through better on the PRO900s. They are actually quite similar sounding headphones. The main differences between the two i would list as follows.

PRO900 has more bass impact
PRO900 has a wider soundstage
PRO900 is more detailed
PRO900 is slightly smoother
HD650 has stronger mids
HD650 vocals are more upfront
HD650 is more neutral

Hmmm it sounds like the pro900 are my type of headphone.

Sep 2, 2009 at 2:21 AM Post #20 of 57
smily_headphones1.gif
this might not be in your system but try the Alessandro MS-2, i have the K702 and the MS-2 and still prefer the MS-2. nothing wrong with the K702 but just a preference

Sep 2, 2009 at 4:55 AM Post #21 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like the K-702 better than the Pro-900.

And the reason for that is...?

Sep 2, 2009 at 5:30 AM Post #22 of 57
I have both the K701 and HD600; and had the HD650. Personally, the HD650 is not an upgrade over the HD600 if you're listening to classic rock, r&b, or jazz. the recessed mids makes the music incoherent. At times, it sounds like the singer was 100 ft away while the rest of the band was 50 ft away. Yes, the HD650 did extend further in both ends, have slightly more details, and more prominent bass, but I usually found the HD600 more musical and enjoyable.

Sep 2, 2009 at 1:20 PM Post #23 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by brokensound /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have both the K701 and HD600; and had the HD650. Personally, the HD650 is not an upgrade over the HD600 if you're listening to classic rock, r&b, or jazz. the recessed mids makes the music incoherent. At times, it sounds like the singer was 100 ft away while the rest of the band was 50 ft away. Yes, the HD650 did extend further in both ends, have slightly more details, and more prominent bass, but I usually found the HD600 more musical and enjoyable.

Hmmm can you compare and contrast the K701 and HD600?

Sep 2, 2009 at 7:59 PM Post #25 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by AgainstTheGrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm can you compare and contrast the K701 and HD600?

K701 extends further in both ends. The sound is tight and airy. There's a greater sense of space around most instruments. This works especially well for woodwind instruments. The K701 also have a flatter response throughout the entire range with more details.

In contrast, the HD600 is smoother. The presentation is more laid back. The bass is more prominent, which I prefer. And on average, it does more instruments better than the K701. The drums have a better snap. The piano has more weight.

Both are equally comfortable for me, although some have complained of the K701 headband.

The HD600 are definitely easier to get along w/ day to day. They are more enjoyable more often than the K701. However, the K701 just shines at time and I forget about its short comings.

If you're only going to use one headphone, take the HD600. The faults of the HD600 are easier to live with than the K701.

Sep 3, 2009 at 2:04 AM Post #26 of 57
Quote:

Recessed mids? I'd have thought that was the last accusation to be levelled at the 650. After owning the 650 for 2 years I tried the AT AD900 and 700 and found them unacceptably recessed in the mids by comparison. The Beyer DT880 pro was better in that regard but waaaaay too bright. For me the 650 are ideally balanced except for the extreme treble, which could be a bit more prominent.

Sep 3, 2009 at 3:11 AM Post #27 of 57
Quote:

K701 extends further in both ends. The sound is tight and airy. There's a greater sense of space around most instruments. This works especially well for woodwind instruments. The K701 also have a flatter response throughout the entire range with more details.

In contrast, the HD600 is smoother. The presentation is more laid back. The bass is more prominent, which I prefer. And on average, it does more instruments better than the K701. The drums have a better snap. The piano has more weight.

Both are equally comfortable for me, although some have complained of the K701 headband.

The HD600 are definitely easier to get along w/ day to day. They are more enjoyable more often than the K701. However, the K701 just shines at time and I forget about its short comings.

If you're only going to use one headphone, take the HD600. The faults of the HD600 are easier to live with than the K701.

I already have the HD600. I'm looking to get a headphone that contrasts them, which sound like that would be the AKG. Seems like the Ultrasone sound too similar.

As a side note, the other day I was having a listening session with the pair of K272 HD I'm demoing from work. Straight out of my cowon they are dry and analytical, but the other day I listened to them through my ipod and amp..OMG! What a difference. These things came alive! Everything sounded so perfect. The bass was just right, everything was so smooth. I was covered in goosebumps. I was in audio heaven. This listening session is pushing me more towards the K702.

Sep 3, 2009 at 3:51 AM Post #29 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by EugeneK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because you would not be able to sell them for the original price, I expect most people would rather have a brand new set for $1400 than a second hand one at $1400. You'd have to put a hundred or two hundred dollar discount for it to sell.

I expect that you've forgotten those of us outside the US who still cant buy these things for any amount of money locally. Here in Oz, there are back-orders galore, and still no sign of the ship that Sennheiser dispatched from Hamburg in February, heralded by a glitzy launch at the Opera House and more hype than the next James Cameron flick. Never before in the history of man have so many been let down by so few over so little.
tongue.gif

Trust me, there are plenty in Oz who would rather pay $1400 USD than the 2400 AUD we will be charged for them if and when that ship arrives.

Sep 3, 2009 at 4:38 AM Post #30 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Krackatus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about Grado?

The RS-1 are cool, full energy in to the music, transparent and bright. Not a bass head hps. The bass is small fast and very tight. The sound stage is not big, but there is a good separation and resolution. Great fun for rock and electronica if you not a bass head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back