HD650 v DT880 v ?: Help me spend money
Apr 15, 2007 at 9:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

srobertson

New Head-Fier
Hey, all! Been lurking for a while, and I've done extensive searches, but I can't find enough of an answer relating to my situation to be satisfied, hence yet another one of these threads. But it seems you all don't mind spending other people's money
wink.gif

Here's the deal: I am on a student's budget, and I can afford $500-$600 a year on headphones and associated gear for the next few years. Because of this, I would like to spend this year's allowance on one set of cans and a decent amp. I have always thought that the HD650s would be sonic bliss for my preferred style of listening, and would contrast nicely with my Shure E4Cs; but since I can't afford to give the HD650s the amp and source they deserve, I wanted to get a full-size headphone that's slightly more aggressive than the HD650s are reported to be (but not too punchy), so as to have a middle ground between the two. For that reason, I am strongly considering getting the Beyer DT880s along with a Porta Corda USB Mk.III.

So, here's the question(s): Are the DT880s a good choice, as described above? Should I go for the HD650s now and upgrade amp and source later? Should I consider some middle ground, like the HD595s? Am I crazy? Should I just wait until the Florida meet in my hometown
wink.gif
?

More information:

Styles of music - About 60% indie rock, 20% electronic, and 20% instrumental (mostly soundtracks). I rarely switch genres while listening, so having cans that are better at one genre but worse at another is not bad, except of course that I won't be able to get the better ones until a year or so. I don't need bass explosion, but when I'm on my electronic music kicks I couldn't stand not having good bass, whatever that means.

Amps: Can't have a work rig, as I'm an intern over the summer and thus float around the building, so portability and an integrated DAC are important; hence the Porta Corda. The bass boost of the newly-redesigned Headphonia looks attractive for occasional use with my E4Cs (which will probably see the inside of my ears most of the time at work), but I'm reticent to spring for that one with the "great accusation" not yet settled (unless it can be shown that the new model doesn't use Meier's IP).

Thanks, everyone. I really appreciate your expertise!

Steve

Apr 15, 2007 at 1:06 PM Post #3 of 9
I would go with the 650's, but if you can't afford the setup, you may want to consider the 595's. They're very similar sounding, albeit lacking the 650's Nth degree of refinement and you don't need an amp with them.

Apr 15, 2007 at 1:20 PM Post #4 of 9
Don't forget the Grado/Alessandro side of things!
biggrin.gif

For your styles of music the more forward Grado sound my be a consideration as well. And if your plan is to go with a number of sets of phones within your system in the future, and since an amp isn't in place as yet, then perhaps a nice low impedance set of phones like Grado/Alessandro may be a good first step.

Warmer sounding, laid-back more amp dependent phones can be added later when an amp is available.

Apr 15, 2007 at 1:40 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by srobertson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Should I just wait until the Florida meet in my hometown
wink.gif
?

If there's a meet you can attend, i would definetly wait until then and check them out yourself! Nothing beats your own ears
icon10.gif

Because the HD650 and the DT880 are just different sets of HP, both on the very same level of audio quality. I have both, and use them for different moods and musical styles. So go to that meet and listen to them yourself.

Apr 15, 2007 at 1:47 PM Post #7 of 9
Have you heard the HD 650? If you like it's presentation, and want something a bit more up front and aggressive, the HD 595 is where it's at.

Keep in mind the DT 880 isn't any more "forgiving" than the HD 650 when it comes to amp/source selection. In fact, I'd call them much less forgiving, but others might disagree.

Apr 15, 2007 at 3:19 PM Post #8 of 9
I'll agree with aphex944 regarding "forgiving". Both require decent power to sound clean if you listen at volumes up to around 80 dB.

Imo, the 650 doesn't contrast the E4, the 880 does. The 880 & 650 are great companions for me.

I have a Porta Corda MKIII-USB and I use it often and with all of my headphones. Using an AC adapter that supplies up to 28~30 volts this amp has plenty of power for either the 650 or 880. The USB power isn't bad either and you may only notice a difference at high volumes.

Apr 15, 2007 at 11:17 PM Post #9 of 9
I can certainly go along with your choice of a Porta Corda - Meier stuff is always well-made. However, you bass needs are better fulfilled with a pair of Beyer dt990 2005............and in the last day or two I've spotted them available of the F.S. page...........a hellova nice headphone at any price. My dt990/600Ω 2005 still are just about my daily favorites (but you will still be very happy with a standard pair). The bass in dt880 will, at times, come up short regarding your bass desires.............................the brand beginning with S - I'm not interested in dualing with their devotees. Not my cup of Java. Life is too short.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back