HD650: Tubes vs Solid-State
Jan 1, 2009 at 3:58 AM Post #16 of 51
I vote Tubes and go balanced for HD650. This headphone needs plenty power to drive them to there best. Many out there underestimate how much power is needed for this headphone! Sure many amp will make the HD650 loud but give the HD650 the juice needed and you'll be reward. Underpower them they will sound dull and veil.

Jan 2, 2009 at 1:06 AM Post #17 of 51
My favorite amp for the HD650 is the solid state, all-discrete, all-Class-A Caliente from Purity Audio. That is in comparison to the HD650 with a TTVJ Portable Millett Hybrid and a Mapletree Ear+ Purist HD with a variety of NOS tubes providing a range of sound flavors. To my ear, the Caliente has that special synergy with the HD650 that I have not yet heard with a tube amp. Now, do the HD650 sound GREAT with tubes? You bet they do! Examples of a few other solid state amps which do not perform as well with the HD650 as the Mapletree Ear+ Purist HD: a PPA with discrete buffer and 24V STEPS, a high-bias M^3 with Blackgate power caps and 24V STEPS. If it weren't for the Purity Audio Caliente, I'd have voted tubes with the majority. The Caliente tips the vote to solid state for me.

Jan 2, 2009 at 2:13 PM Post #18 of 51
Very interesting responses. I had no idea tube amps were in such favor among HD650 users. It seems likely that avid readers of this forum are looking for more than a wire with gain type solution. Tube amps seem very popular here in general. I'm quite solid-state biased myself. I'm not familiar with many of the tube amps people are pairing with HD650's though, like the Woo amps and RSA Raptor. I suppose a very well implemented tube amp can work just as well as a good solid-state amp.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 2, 2009 at 3:09 PM Post #20 of 51
i just lurve my 650 with the darkvoice 337...

Jan 2, 2009 at 3:17 PM Post #21 of 51
The best I've heard the HD650 to date has been with the Darkvoice 337, 2x JAN Philips 6SJ7WGT and 2x RCA 6AS7G black plates. (This was, unfortunately, after I'd already sold the Tung-Sol 5998s, and just before I sold the 337.)

I've also had excellent success with the Bada PH-12. It's just that the HD650 aren't my aural cup-of-tea. : )

Jan 28, 2009 at 5:27 PM Post #23 of 51
A good amp is a good amp, tubes or SS shouldn't matter

Jan 28, 2009 at 5:36 PM Post #24 of 51
The headphone out on my solid state m-audio audiophile usb soundcard is as good and in my opinion a lot better than through the DV 336i using the line outs from the m-audio. As said it's gushy, and a much smaller sound stage.

I've just bought some new tubes to replace the stock ones on the DV to hopefully bring out some more clarity and sparkle from my 650's

I'd agree that it shouldn't depend merely on tube or SS, however I'd rather a cheap SS then a cheap tube

Jan 28, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #25 of 51
The darkvoice 332 is a brighter tube amp that matches well with the HD650s. Not all tube amps are to warm and lushy. You just need to find one (tube or SS) that matches well with the HD650s.

Now that being said, I just enjoy the music much more with tubes than SS.

Jan 28, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #26 of 51
Because you like the looks

Jan 28, 2009 at 7:12 PM Post #28 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A Good amp. Don't matter which one.

That's very likely correct...

The SS GS Solo is phenomenal with the "new" versions of the HD580/600/650s... and so are:

1. WA6 SE
2. SP Extreme
3. DV332
5. Monarchy M24/NM24 Tube DAC/Line Stage (no amp required).

It just depends on how much you want to play around with the sound and taylor it to your preferences by rolling tubes.

Or... you can achieve the same thing with a good SS amp, that matches the Senns well, and a good sound processor, like the Aphex 204.

Whatever is your "cup of tea."

Jan 28, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #29 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by onlychild /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Now that being said, I just enjoy the music much more with tubes than SS.

Same here, although it is a matter of personal preference, I suppose.

One thing I like about tube amps is that they do give you a little more control and flexibility over the ultimate sound by changing out tubes. I like the ability to tweak the sound a little without changing out the entire amp. And the tube amps I have listened to generally sound a little bit smoother with the HD-650's than the SS amps I have heard. But then again, there's lot's of SS amps I haven't heard.
smile_phones.gif

Jan 28, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #30 of 51
In the end, a perfect SS or perfect Tube amp will sound exactly the same. The 'warm' and 'cold' sound are added stuff to the amp (or even shortcoming we like). The tube swapping is definetly a good point. For me this is why I prefer SS amps haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back