HD650: Tubes vs Solid-State
Dec 31, 2008 at 1:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

Headphony

1000+ Head-Fier
I know the topic has been discussed plenty before, but I'm really dumb-founded by all of the recommendations for tube amps for HD650's. IMO, HD650's are one of the few phones that I would not want to listen to with a tube amp at all. Yes, that might be an over-simplification, since there are many different sounding tube amps and solid-state amps, but in general that is the case. The HD650's have a sound and sound signature that can complement even a dry and very accurate set-up very nicely. Warmth, slightly eased off top-end, fluid, and musical. Tubes + HD650 is typically just way too gushy.

Dec 31, 2008 at 1:33 PM Post #2 of 51
Where's the option for hybrids?
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 31, 2008 at 1:41 PM Post #3 of 51
I think your observation is correct in theory and I have no evidence to disprove it. I haven't tried tubes with my 650, I've had more than good enough results with solid state, but I too am often puzzled by recommendations for what in theory should be a total mismatch and way too much of a good thing. Maybe somebody with a satisfying 650/tube setup could explain why tubes work better with 650s.

Dec 31, 2008 at 3:55 PM Post #4 of 51
Two points:

1. Set aside the genaralizations about tube amps

2. Nothing sounds better in the midrange (vocals, and strings of any kind) than tubes.

Pick at anything else you want (alleged 'rolled off' top or bottom), but that is a failing of lower end tubes and circuits, not to mention sources. There IS overhead with tubes, but why would so many gladly pay the premium?

I'd daresay it is NOT just to prove a point nor FOTM / de riguer depeche mode. It is the sound, and you can hear the difference.

x³ on hybrids, well, except the Bijou, and for electrostatics.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 31, 2008 at 4:22 PM Post #6 of 51
This is a loaded question. There are tons of combinations that'll sound good with the HD650, both tube and solid state. I voted SS because I'll soon (god willing) have a lovely balanced beta 22 to listen to my HD650 through.

Dec 31, 2008 at 4:54 PM Post #7 of 51
From reading this board for a while I've found that there are numerous unsuitable amplifiers for the HD650, and that as a general rule tubes, while "gushy" at times, complement the smooth, rich beauty of the HD650's naturally warm sound while providing it with the current it needs (the consensus I have gleaned). Tubes let you customize the sound a lot too - there is a good pairing of tubes for every set of cans.

Some solid state amps like the Shanling PH100, while great for K701s, are a poor match impedance-wise for the HD650s. I have heard that the entire Meier Corda line is good for HD650s because Dr. Meier is an HD650 user himself. I also have heard that the M^3 amp design can drive dang near anything, HD650s included, and that they sounded good in many reviews - so I ordered one from Thrice/Rockhopper Audio. The consensus seems to be that if you go solid state, it had better be a powerful solid state amp to give the control that the HD650s demand.

Dec 31, 2008 at 5:56 PM Post #9 of 51
I voted tubes. I think the sound with my HD650's and my Raptor is incredible. It is by far my favorite setup to listen to out of my gear. The 650's are great with my Maxxed desktop, but it is so much more organic and musical out of the Raptor.

Dec 31, 2008 at 6:38 PM Post #10 of 51
/me voted tube as well.
But either should be fine, as long as its a well designed amplifier.

Dec 31, 2008 at 9:27 PM Post #11 of 51
You'd think with the 4 pairs of Stax and three tube amps that I use (including a decent Single Power) I'd instantly vote for tubes. But that's not that case (strictly based on what I've heard in my system). With my 650's, the PS Audio Headphone Amp has more "slam" then the much more expensive Single Power.

I'm sure a listen to either the new Cary or the older 300SEI or Zana Deux might change my vote (I'm very open on this subject). But for rock, that 'Bryston' sound I get with the PSHA is hard to get with tubes. (Well, I cheated a bit, the DAC has a tube in it - and this is, after all, my computer audio system.) Even my main system of Stax/tubes is MUCH mroe enjoyable with the REL sub running in the background, so it, in a sense, is a hybrid system.

To me, the synergy of the DAC, preamp, and amp combination (and even the source material) is far more important than whether or not there is small glowing spherically glassy thingy from 1958 to stare at. Or maybe I'm going midrange deaf from 4 kids and I don't need tubes anyway.

Dec 31, 2008 at 9:40 PM Post #12 of 51
The 650's sound great with tubes. Powerfull low end that I like, and silky smooth mids and highs. I personally cant detect rolloff in the highs. But then again, my ears have a million miles on them
darthsmile.gif

Dec 31, 2008 at 10:12 PM Post #14 of 51
I second the Raptor + HD650 pairing. I really like that I can roll tubes to suit my HD650 vs W5000.

Jan 1, 2009 at 3:11 AM Post #15 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by shellylh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
TUBES!

[size=small]
TUBES![/size]

I'm loving to death the sound of my balanced HD650 from the LD MKVI. Smoothest and most relaxing sound I've ever heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back